Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Your coverage doesn't change whether it's the first day or any other day of the policy coverage. Accidents, by their very nature can happen anytime. If an insurance company starts to question me about it being "suspicious" that the problem occurred so soon after the coverage started, assuming it's not for a windshield or such, my question to them is whether they are attempting to deny coverage based on when my accident occurred in the coverage period. Depending on their answer, a call to the local State Insurance Commissioner may be in order. The are generally VERY HELPFUL! Bottom line, If you have a boo boo, notify your insurance company ASAP, be totally honest with them, document everything, and give them the opportunity to be straight forward with you. If they aren't then that's where your documentation comes in.
You didn't read my post or understand what I was trying to say. Obviously he is worried about filing a claim, for some reason, or he would have never started this thread. I don't worry about filing a claim and my insurance company has treated us very well.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #30

I've been insured with Progressive for the last 11 years. 10 with my first class A, 3-4 claims with superior service. Last year got a new RV and backed into a post the first day, called Progressive and the claim was handled with no problems. I'm a semi-retired insurance agent and know from almost 40 years of experience that honesty is the best way to handle insurance claims. Just report the incident as it happened and go with the attitude that the adjuster wants to help you and the great majority of Progressive employees do, as I have found.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
You didn't read my post or understand what I was trying to say. Obviously he is worried about filing a claim, for some reason, or he would have never started this thread. I don't worry about filing a claim and my insurance company has treated us very well.

Mike, I did read your post, but I my post wasn't directed just at your post. My fault. I should have been clearer regarding who I was responding to. Hope the OP gets things straightened out! Take care all.
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #32

Since we have several representatives of the Insurance side I have a question that is probably his. How much does his failure to stabilize the damage count against him?

FWIW I suspect a lot of folks would not have a clue what to do. That is why I often toss in some how and why.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Since we have several representatives of the Insurance side I have a question that is probably his. How much does his failure to stabilize the damage count against him?

FWIW I suspect a lot of folks would not have a clue what to do. That is why I often toss in some how and why.
Insurers do want people to mitigate their damages as much as possible. But not knowing that further damage was even going to happen (given the kind of damage involved), I wouldn't worry too much about it.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #34

Progressive is the easiest ins CO I've ever dealt with. Wish I hadn't left them.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #35

I filed a claim with progressive March of 2015. Snow weight in the northeast bent my rv shelter and caused 1200 worth of damage to the top of the coach. They paid, and then claimed it was a collision accident, causing me to get surcharged. They did not notify me, as is the law in massachusetts. After 10 months, I got a hearing with the state division of insurance. The progressive rep read a report that I was turning out of my driveway and lost control of the rv, slamming into a garage, an outright lie. The arbitrator ruled in my favor, and now noone at progressive seems to know how to remove the surcharge, or if I will get reimbursed for the last year of surcharges! I still have to contact my automobile policy with commerce insurance to repeat the whole process.

My advice is to insist on seeing the report before the adjuster sends it to progressive.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #36

I had my toad car snap at the hitch cracked my rear panel, insurance quoted 6k to repair and sent me a check, after the autobody guy looked at it was 28k to fix, looked like the insurance guy just wanted to patch it the autonomy guy replaced the whole cap and did it right. Glad I went trough insurance
Old 04-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkin View Post
I filed a claim with progressive March of 2015. Snow weight in the northeast bent my rv shelter and caused 1200 worth of damage to the top of the coach. They paid, and then claimed it was a collision accident, causing me to get surcharged. They did not notify me, as is the law in massachusetts. After 10 months, I got a hearing with the state division of insurance. The progressive rep read a report that I was turning out of my driveway and lost control of the rv, slamming into a garage, an outright lie. The arbitrator ruled in my favor, and now noone at progressive seems to know how to remove the surcharge, or if I will get reimbursed for the last year of surcharges! I still have to contact my automobile policy with commerce insurance to repeat the whole process.

My advice is to insist on seeing the report before the adjuster sends it to progressive.
I would send Progressive a certified letter giving them fifteen working days from the date of your letter to remove the surcharges that the arbitrator ruled on and to reimburse you for last year's surcharges. If they fail to comply, I would file a lawsuit in Small Claims Court and notify your state's Dept. of Insurance.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I just recently filed a claim with Progressive because my motorhome was burglarized. $10,000 in damage, theft (generator, inverter, etc), and repair labor. I also had to file with my Homeowners Insurance (Farmers) for $6,000 in personal property. Both companies were outstanding to work with. The inspector from Progressive had 17 years in the RV business and knew what he was looking at.

I had heard so many horror stories about people filing insurance claims; however, they could not have made it any easier on me. I was pleasantly surprised and did not feel victimized again.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #39

[QUOTE=ArmandV;3004884]I would send Progressive a certified letter giving them fifteen working days from the date of your letter to remove the surcharges that the arbitrator ruled on and to reimburse you for last year's surcharges. If they fail to comply, I would file a lawsuit in Small Claims Court and notify your state's Dept. of Insurance.[/QUOTE

I agree with the above post, except I would open a case with your State Insurance Commissioner, send the letter, and CC the Insurance Commissioner's office, including the case number on your letter. Don't think the small claims court will be necessary. Someone at Progressive can authorize a one time discretionary payment for the back surcharges. How they reconcile that in their book keeping is not your concern!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #40

Further how did they explain converting a snow load roof fail to a moving concern?

That is what needs to be made clear and person held accountable.

And written guarantee that any and all documentation of said event is corrected to be sure something down the road cannot use it against you.