Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinAustin View Post
Great product for places where you want something clear.

It sticks great and spreads great. Has stayed intact and flexible on exposed areas of my sunroom for over a decade with no peel back or shrinkage. Readily available at big box stores in small tubes or large caulking gun refills.
That is bad advise for something like a MH or Boat. we use a variety of cleaning products plus these vehicles travel down the road where they get rain spray off the road and wash from unknown sources. These have solvent and other chemicals that cause silicone for your house to loosen and allow water to enter. Also one they are applied you CAN NOT RE-APPLY it or any other type of sealants. I tried it on my boat years ago and found it to fail. would never use it on metal or my RV. Only used it on your house.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #16

I've had great results with this particular product on my boat. Better in fact than the marine specific product I had tried previously. Have applied it in layers before as well.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I've had great results with this particular product on my boat. Better in fact than the marine specific product I had tried previously. Have applied it in layers before as well.
I am happy for your experience. My experience is far different and have had that experience for 74 years. Once silicone in applied and fails you will never be able to put more silicone or other type adhesive in it's place. It is almost impossible to remove the old silicone even with grinding. I think it is perfect for houses. nothing work like good old 5200 permanently seal and bond marine issues. On MY MH I will only use what I have learned here on this and similar forms added to my own experience.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Great product for places where you want something clear.

It sticks great and spreads great. Has stayed intact and flexible on exposed areas of my sunroom for over a decade with no peel back or shrinkage. Readily available at big box stores in small tubes or large caulking gun refills.
Grab one end of silicone sealant and pull, the entire run will come away quite easily. Silicone is losing favor with professionals in the building trades, but is generally popular because of its low initial cost.
It works even less well on your rolling earthquake/RV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #19

Quick question, I was pretty specific about the product I mentioned. Have either of you folks actually tried a tube of it?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:29 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
of course - GE silicone has been around since 1965. I used it on my first home back in 1968 and now it is paintable. It still is not the do all product however.

read all the reasons GE states about the product. affected by various solvents and chemicals and surface adhesion is generally poor.

Frequently Asked Questions About Products, Applications, Troubleshooting, and More
here are a few reason never to use the product on the MH or Boat.

Can I apply new silicone on old silicone?
For the best adhesion, we recommend removing the old silicone. New silicone will bond to old silicone, but the bond is not as strong as if it is adhered to a clean surface. If you choose to apply over old silicone, the warranty is void.

Some materials, such as concrete, soft woods, stone, specially treated metals, plastics, or other man-made materials, might have unpredictable surface characteristics. Therefore, we recommend that you test for adhesion by applying the caulk

Do not use silicone caulk on any galvanized surface. Do not use below the water level. Cleaning with detergent or soap and water is not recommended because silicone will not adhere to surfaces with any soap scum present.

Yes; caulk differs in formulation and intended use. Its physical properties, including adhesion, flexibility, color, opacity, finish, elasticity, and durability vary significantly so it's important to select the right product for each job.

Specialty: For a project that is beyond a typical home caulking application, or will be used in conjunction with another caulking product, or when caulk isn't appropriate for the job, a specialty product might be needed.

Those reason and many more is the reason I do not use Silicone products for sealing.
Since I have used well over 15 different types of sealants - some good some poor - I am well aware of Silicon products and only use them like they recommend - "Kitchen and Bath" sealants.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Quote:
Quick question, I was pretty specific about the product I mentioned. Have either of you folks actually tried a tube of it?
LostinAustin
Anyone who has used "GE 100% Silicone II clear", or any other "silicone" caulking on the exterior of their RV knows that it does not hold up well... and that it will not stick it itself.
"Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant" and "Geocel Proflex RV" are two that do.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #22

I'll give that Geocel product a shot and see how well it performs. (I suppose I would be a hypocrite if I simply generalized similar products without actually using the exact item now wouldn't I?) I have used Dicor before on roof applications and I am very satisfied with it.

I will also keep a watchful eye on the areas that I applied the GE 100% Silicone II and post my results if I see any signs of failure.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One trick I use for water leaks is to stuff newspaper around suspected leak points. If newspaper gets wet, it shrinks, and you can easily tell that it has gotten wet.

I also lay a sheet of newspaper under kitchen and bathroom sinks after I do plumbing work, then check it the next day. this will show up any "Slow" leaks.

Regards,
Dan

Tags
leak