Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
update to getting the rat

Well, last night it was a no show, and my DW has not heard anything inside.

We prayed that it left, (It has not had any water for a few days).
If not, it might be dead somewhere above the ceiling. Oh, no!!
We will know in a day or two, I guess. It did appear to have eaten some of the rat poison.
I wonder how it went from the generator area to above the ceiling. I guess the factories leave an access somewhere when they build the MH coaches.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #16

A big hungry cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4045.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	105549  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #17

Did it ever occur to you it could be a chipmunk? They are much more savvy than a rat and much harder to catch. I used a pail of water about 2/3 full with a block of wood floating in it and sunflower seeds. You also need a ramp of some sort up to the bucket that you can bait with a couple seeds as well. The chipmunk jumps down on the block of wood, falls in the water and drowns. Even this took 3 days before the chipmunk took the bait. Please spare me on how cruel this is. Drowning is one of the most peaceful ways to go. A chipmunk can destroy your entire wiring system in a day. Don't know if they like the taste of the insulation or are just trying to make a space. In one instance this cost me $550.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibut214 View Post
Did it ever occur to you it could be a chipmunk? They are much more savvy than a rat and much harder to catch. I used a pail of water about 2/3 full with a block of wood floating in it and sunflower seeds. You also need a ramp of some sort up to the bucket that you can bait with a couple seeds as well. The chipmunk jumps down on the block of wood, falls in the water and drowns. Even this took 3 days before the chipmunk took the bait. Please spare me on how cruel this is. Drowning is one of the most peaceful ways to go. A chipmunk can destroy your entire wiring system in a day. Don't know if they like the taste of the insulation or are just trying to make a space. In one instance this cost me $550.
halibut
How on earth do you know that?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
halibut
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
Because after you inhale water and violently cough your guts out and go into convulsions you just go to sleep.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
halibut
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
To make a long story short... because I drowned. The fear, the panic, and all that ends with the first breathe of water into your lungs. It then becomes peace and tranquility. The panic only returns when your being revived.
Think what you wish but this post is how to get rid of a varmit so I'm done with this part of the conversation. I'm sure the OP would agree. Just offering a possible solution to a problem.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Because after you inhale water and violently cough your guts out and go into convulsions you just go to sleep.
You have no idea what your talking about and I see no humor in your post.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #22

Man, some of you members on here have absolutely no sense of humor. Really sorry you died.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibut214 View Post
You have no idea what your talking about and I see no humor in your post.
I'm glad you said this. I see no humor in it either. If I had said this I would be reported for a "personal attack" so thank you.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In another thread on either one of these or another forum they are talking about getting rid of a Snake.. I'm thinking the method ultimately used might work there too (They shotgunned it to death)

Of course there is the small problem of the large hole in the RV.. but hey, They got rid of the snake.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #25

Get the snap traps with the large yellow bait holder as they hold set better and trip very well.

They also hold more peanut butter.

Placement is key to success.

They cannot see very well so they travel along walls so place trap 90 degrees to wall along wall with bait close to wall.

Setting this way they do not need bait as you get them in passing but smell of bait gets them to use that path.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have found if you keep the rats with enough D-con and those Green bars to eat on in the outside compartments. They never seem to want to get inside.

That has worked for the last 13 plus winters for me.
Had a couple of those battery traps. But they never seem to work anymore for me after 2-3 dead rats for some reason. Ended up in the trash bin. :(
Per rat cost $$ was too high. And they had to be checked every day.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #27

When using the snap type of trap, for either mice or rats, I've found that tying a lifesaver, any flavor, to the trip trigger, then filling with peanut butter works better. The lifesaver makes it harder to get the bait.

Have you thought about setting up one of those wildlife cameras up in the RV to check out what you are really dealing with? Just a thought.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Cam-ST...ldlife+cameras
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
I have found if you keep the rats with enough D-con and those Green bars to eat on in the outside compartments. They never seem to want to get inside.
That has worked for the last 13 plus winters for me.
Had a couple of those battery traps. But they never seem to work anymore for me after 2-3 dead rats for some reason. Ended up in the trash bin. :(
Per rat cost $$ was too high. And they had to be checked every day.
Triker56
X2 on d-CONŽ
I've been using d-CON for over 40 years to keep RVs rodent free.
(Before the inevitable question is asked by the naysayers the answer is: NO, I have never found or smelled a dead body in any of the RVs I've owned).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote