Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
In 3 of the 4 parks there were no breakers in the camping loop they were in a locked distribution panel near the restrooms. In the 4th park there was a locked panel in the center of the camping loop which I assume contained the breakers. In all cases the breakers were not accessible to anyone except the park maintenance personnel
Geez, once again this site is chocked full of good info ! This is one of those things us newbies would never think of. I do realize not to plug/unplug something with a load on it, we Always make sure the ac is off before doing either, but still this would be much safer as of surges... and of course the battery charger is always on in ours when connected to shore power. Thanks !!!
Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice. Thanks for sharing it.

It's ALWAYS best practice to shut down the breakers (either pedestal or coach main) when connecting or disconnecting. I rely on my Surge Guard to check out the quality of the power.

Funny to read about some parks not having breakers. We'd done a great deal of travel all over the US and I can't remember ever being in a park without breakers at or near the pedestal. We spent most of last month touring through Canada and I do believe that more than half of the parks didn't have breakers readily available. I'm sure they were somewhere but nowhere near the pedestal.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will always shut off the shorepower breaker at the pedestal before plugging in. Of course I do this after I check for proper voltage at the pedestal first. Only takes a couple of seconds to make sure everything is up to snuff.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So my Progressive Industries EMS has a 15 second delay after plugin while it checks the power out then allows power to flow. Is this the same thing? When I plug in, nothing happens until the EMS clears the power. I haven't turned off the A/C, since the shed system will not allow both compressors on at once anyway.

I do not plug in to a pedestal without making sure the circuit breakers are shut off. Then I plug in, and turn them on. Then the EMS does its thing.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
So my Progressive Industries EMS has a 15 second delay after plugin while it checks the power out then allows power to flow. Is this the same thing? When I plug in, nothing happens until the EMS clears the power. I haven't turned off the A/C, since the shed system will not allow both compressors on at once anyway.

I do not plug in to a pedestal without making sure the circuit breakers are shut off. Then I plug in, and turn them on. Then the EMS does its thing.
That's a good question. I would think the answer is that it's "almost" the same thing as shutting off the breakers. I don't think your surge protector will a load to hit the line until that two minute delay is over. I imagine there is a small load from the PI EMS itself but probably not much to worry about.

I still turn off my AC unit though.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #20

Very neat!. I'm gonna make one, and leave it in the bay where I store the power cord - just to remind me to check the power each time I connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecapt View Post
Before we even back-in/pull-in I check the electrical hook-up with this:

It tells me the full state of the electrical at that site.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From the title of this post, "How to help prevent shoreline plug burn", IMO post # 12 from Hikerdogs has the correct answer. The shoreline plugs burn because of high resistance and high current flow through the prong of the plug for an extended period of time. Keeping the prongs clean will reduce the heat buildup on the plugs, and not burn them up.

Yes, we should always turn the circuit breaker off when plugging in, and check for proper polarity and voltage too.

The power should be off when plugging in, not only due to load, but if you are plugging in and cock the plug at a sufficient (incorrect) angle you could apply power and no neutral connection for a fraction of a second and have a "open Neutral" 240 volt condition that could do major damage to your electronic equipment.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

+1 for Progressive Industries. We have an SSP-50, I plug it in, turn on the pedestal breaker and check the LEDs on it. If everything checks out I turn off the breaker, plug in the RV to the SSP-50 and turn it back on. A total of about 30 seconds. We have not seen a CG without a breaker on the pedestal yet.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote