Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #15

Everybody and their brother will tell you to open the doors. My drill is to OPEN them all the way (not cracked open) because that will generate as much air flow through the unit as possible.

Dead air promotes mold growth. If you are not plugged into SP, then at least open the vent over the kitchen in order to draw some air out of the unit. Crack the Bath vent for the same reason.

Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #16
Best solution in a humid environment is to wipe the interior surfaces with Windex with ammonia or other ammonia containing window cleaner. It works on boats in the tropics and on RV's to. If stored for a long time it is ESSENTIAL to keep air moving in the RV with fans etc. and you may need to wipe the surfaces (all surfaces) down with window cleaner periodically. In really warm and humid environments you may need a dehumidifier if that is possible in your storage situation. As suggested, opening the doors all the way will help, charcoal or baking soda is effective for vapors not mold but will not hurt.

Above 60% humidity, it takes active measures to prevent mold from growing, no way around it.

2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 Truck Camper; MANY mods, to many to list
2007 Chevy 2500 Duramax Std Bed Ext Cab
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
I have owned 2 RV's with Norcold refrigerators and didn't figure out until last year that they actually have small latches built into the door that will secure the door open ~1" but not let the doors swing open. The latch is in the recess of the normal handle, jut open the door and move the small latch into a it's receiver and the door is locked partially open.

I leave my doors cracked. After every trip we completely clean out and defrost the refrigerator, wipe it down with a good cleaner and then let it dry out. Usually don't have a problem with mold or mildew.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
I battle this each time I store my mh.. Is there a secret spray to coat the inside with? Should I leave the doors open? Thanks!!
Should I leave the doors open? always worked for me

RV stores sell some plastic supposed to do this,, I rather use bungee cord.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #19
ALL refrigerators should be stored with the doors open if they've been used. We used a hand towel draped over the door so it couldn't be closed. Our new Norcold has a lock that can keep the door cracked.

As an additional measure, wipe out any moisture, food, etc. that spilled before storage. Mold needs moisture to grow.
Tim, Tara and Canyon - 'TnT' (& C now...)
2015 Thor Outlaw 37LS w/FJ Cruiser Toad
Columbia 400, 1967 Corvette, KTM 350 EXC-f, TTR 125 LE, XR50 for toys
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #20
We use to use old newspaper wrinkled up and put in the old Norcold. We used a lot of the newspaper and never had any problem with mold. We would remove the paper and wipe it out and turn on for next trip.
2013 Holiday Rambler 43 DFT-405 HP MaxxForce International-Dodge 1500 pickup w/US Gear Tow Brake
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #21
When the refrigerator is turned off, just make sure the door(s) are left open to allow for air circulation.

CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote