Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How to minimize setup and foldup time

we have type c. What are your ideas that you use to minimize setup of your campsite upon arrival and takedown when leaving. We just got a type c, about 31' , a WB access. We appreciate your ideas.
thanks

New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #2

Owned a Class C for 11 years (now have Class A DP) and the thing that always took the longest setting up was getting it level enough for the fridge and our comfort.

Finally got tired of little orange blocks and installed hydraulic jacks. It was money well spent. Getting the rig level turned into a 30 second exercise and no orange blocks to dig out or put away. Jacks also had the added benefit of stabilizing the unit so it didn't rock back and forth when people came in and out of the motorhome.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #3

If we were in a hurry we just hooked up the power cord. Sometimes water. And ya gotta dump sometime. If the refer was within 5% of level, it was fine.

Now we are retired and unhurried. We only drive 300 miles max per day. And folding up camp can require an entire pot of coffee.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If we were in a hurry we just hooked up the power cord. Sometimes water. And ya gotta dump sometime. If the refer was within 5% of level, it was fine.

Now we are retired and unhurried. We only drive 300 miles max per day. And folding up camp can require an entire pot of coffee.
This is how it's supposed to be done
Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

What Dave said.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If we're only overnighting, we only hook up power, put down jacks, and extend slides. The sat dish is just a push of a button.

If we're going to be someplace more that a couple of nights, I do a full set up which includes window sun shades, patio mat, and exterior lights.

If we want to get an early start in the am (9am for us) I break camp the night before except for the power cord.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Set-up/Tear-down time will be directly proportional to how much STUFF you feel you need to set-up. Only way to shorten time is set-up less.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #8

As you get more experience and that comes with time you'll figure ways to make packing up easier and easier.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
...If we want to get an early start in the am (9am for us) I break camp the night before except for the power cord...

Rick
Same here. Part of my checklist has a section "Day Prior."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #10

Being organized. My husband has the basements compartments extremely organized which is a huge time saver.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
My routine is, level the coach, then open slides, shut engine off, hook power cord up, If staying longer than one night hook water hose up , depending on the wife's nightly tv schedule hook cable (if avail) if not program antenna. place mat at door entrance. get my chair out and take a break. I never hook sewer hose up until ready to dump. I usually empty all tanks the night before departure. I always place clothes pin on ignition key if the antenna is raise to remind me to lower the antenna before leaving.. We all have our little mental check lists. and the wife is always good about asking questions to make sure I've completed my list of tasks. She's a great co pilot.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Set-up/Tear-down time will be directly proportional to how much STUFF you feel you need to set-up. Only way to shorten time is set-up less.
Without a doubt, one of the best answers. Camping and "RVing" is what you make of it. The part about leveling and hooking up cords and hoses is a given. It takes the amount of time it takes, period. You can't shorten the time it physically takes to plug in a power cord and garden hose. Some folks have a ton of stuff laid out all over their campsite/RV spot. Little nick-knacks, things hanging from the awnings, complete fencing for their pets, and much, much more.

The more "STUFF" you want out, the more you have to put away when it comes time to pack up and leave. If you want to make it look like you're living there, then, plan on some serious time for getting ready to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
Being organized. My husband has the basements compartments extremely organized which is a huge time saver.
This too is a great answer. About 99.99% of the RV folks out there have everything they own in an RV, IN BOXES. And, that's Ok if you like things that way. Having things like chairs and mats in ready access areas, without having to move half the coaches stored items, makes for quick setup and pack up. That of course, depends on just what one want's out in their camping area.

We're fortunate enough to have enough compartment space for quite a bit of stuff. And, depending on the terrain, i.e. concrete or dirt/gravel/grass the setup takes very little time. If grass/dirt/gravel, I whip out the big mats, two of them and nail them down on the corners. If concrete, then, no mats and only chairs and a small table.

Now, as stated, the leveling etc. is a given unless, the site is an un level site. If that's the case, then, out comes the lumber to drive up on etc. and, some for under the jacks, if needed. All that has to be picked up when packing up. We value being nice and level and stable is important to me/us. So, if it takes a bit more time to level up, so be it.

So, again, you make of it what you want. There are some that will pull up, put it in park, set the brake, shut the engine off, and get out and sit on a rock. Then there are some that look like they had a moving van stop by and empty its contents. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #13

Some little things that I added to help with setup and tear down is quickconects too water hose and push on cable connects.