Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How to Mount Multiple Gadgets on Dash?

I am looking for a way to mount my TPMS, GPS, Phone, etc. on my dash without putting holes in the dash. Suction cups will not work being my dash has dimples in it. Hopefully I can find a way with drilling any holes in my dash. I have tried suction cup holders on the front, but they fall off on a regular basis.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #2

FWIW Have you tried 3M Command Adhesive? I'd try a replacement pack of just the adhesive strips. Remember to leave the tab out in case it works. ;-))

Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can use adhesive to stick a smooth plastic disc to the dash for the suction cup to affix to.

GPS can be held in place with dash forming sand bag. Available at electronic shops. There are also long arm/pole GPS/Cell brackets that stick to the windshield.

If your steering wheel does not have an airbag, you can use velcro to affix your cell and radio remote to the spokes of the steering wheel. That is what I did.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like this

http://www.scotchbrand.com/wps/porta...4603615&rt=rud

New Hampshire uses this stuff to adhere EZ Pass toll transponders to the windshield. They don't get soft in summer heat, and they don't fall off. Good stuff.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
This one is not specific to your application but it gives you an idea of what you can do. http://www.amazon.com/Bracketron-CHE.../dp/B00167RLOO

These bolt in behind factory trim bezels and give you a hard mount that can be used for most lightweight electronics. You might find something from Bracketron you can use or if you're hand at fabrication make one of your own. I've made a lot of them over the years.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I use Velcro for my TPMS meter and Toad Brake antenna.

I got rid of the GPS and use my smart phone, or tablet, for 20% of the cost of a Garmin GPS.

We use a bean bag mount with clamp for the Phone that sits on our swing out dash tray.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I use 'museum putty'. It is a gummy sticky putty that museums use to hold anything down. It leaves no stain or mark when you remove it. Knead a little in your hand. I use about a pea sized amount under each corner of the device. It may take a few days until it locks on, but after that it will not fall.

Google it, I got mine on line.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have a look at THIS one.. It is a NEW kind of suction cup, and it DOES STICK to bumpy dash board materials. I have one in my RV and another in my Jeep--both mounted on textured dash board areas that a traditional suction cup would not work on.

This uses a strong magnet to attach it to your devices, which is super neat for phones and TPMS or other reasonably sized items. I would not use this for an iPad, but I do use it with my iPhone 6 Plus, which is a fairly large phone.

You need to either have a metal device or use one of the (three) included metal plates that you can either stick to the back of your device or insert between your device (ex. a phone) and its case (i.e. phone case). I love that I don't have to work with any attachment clips or anything--just literally place my phone onto it and it sucks it right in. It is now my standard place to store the phone when it's not in my pocket because it is just that easy to connect and disconnect. "Disconnect" doesn't even seem like the right word! "Grab" is more appropriate.

Here is the link:
Amazon.com: The Original iMagnet Cradle-less Universal Car Phone Windshield Dashboard Mount Holder for iPhone 6, 6 Plus (6+), 5S 5 4S, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 2 3, HTC One 8X 8S, LG Optimus, Nexus 4: Cell Phones & Accessories

And here is their description of the suction cup:
"Patented sticky-gel suction cup with a multi-layer gel coating mounts on any non-porous textured surfaces like dashboards and windshields."
Old 02-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
I use 'museum putty'. It is a gummy sticky putty that museums use to hold anything down. It leaves no stain or mark when you remove it. Knead a little in your hand. I use about a pea sized amount under each corner of the device. It may take a few days until it locks on, but after that it will not fall.

Google it, I got mine on line.

X2 the museum putty

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also Raymond.. Amazon has a pretty nice return policy if you try something and it doesn't work as advertised. So you could order it, try it out, and if you aren't satisfied that it does what it said it would do, return it.

Before I discovered this thing, I used heavy duty velcro, so my TMPS and Brake controls are attached to my dash with velcro. I probably won't replace that setup because it's working fine and it looks nice. But I have two of these things now (one for RV, one for Toad--both for my phone) and I may buy another one or two for other vehicles!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Have a look at THIS one.. It is a NEW kind of suction cup, and it DOES STICK to bumpy dash board materials. I have one in my RV and another in my Jeep--both mounted on textured dash board areas that a traditional suction cup would not work on.

This uses a strong magnet to attach it to your devices, which is super neat for phones and TPMS or other reasonably sized items. I would not use this for an iPad, but I do use it with my iPhone 6 Plus, which is a fairly large phone.

You need to either have a metal device or use one of the (three) included metal plates that you can either stick to the back of your device or insert between your device (ex. a phone) and its case (i.e. phone case). I love that I don't have to work with any attachment clips or anything--just literally place my phone onto it and it sucks it right in. It is now my standard place to store the phone when it's not in my pocket because it is just that easy to connect and disconnect. "Disconnect" doesn't even seem like the right word! "Grab" is more appropriate.

Here is the link:
Amazon.com: The Original iMagnet Cradle-less Universal Car Phone Windshield Dashboard Mount Holder for iPhone 6, 6 Plus (6+), 5S 5 4S, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 2 3, HTC One 8X 8S, LG Optimus, Nexus 4: Cell Phones & Accessories

And here is their description of the suction cup:
"Patented sticky-gel suction cup with a multi-layer gel coating mounts on any non-porous textured surfaces like dashboards and windshields."
just ordered.. be here in two days. thanks for the reco !! just what I've been looking for.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hope you like it!
Old 02-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #13

A lot of my dash stuff use sucton cups. I got ahold of some plexy glass, cut to fit area of dash I wanted stuff to be accessable used existing screws to hold in place. Dont know how to post pics.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will need a slab of wood and some shelf anti-slip stuff (that expanded rubber they sell to prevent stuff from sliding in cabinets

Glue the no-slip to the bottom of the wood.

Optionally finish the wood, or cover it with fabric cover (Before you glue the rubber on)

Mont to the wood. Drill all tho holes you want.. IN THE WOOD.

Tags
dash