Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

How to Pay (Wire transfer?)

Hi,
Here's a question I am hoping someone here may have experience with. We have paid our deposit on a new Class A dp. We pay the balance (the big money) when we pick it up. We are in Canada so I thought we'd fly over to the dealer and order a wire transfer after we arrived. But we are told tht it may take several days for a wire transfer to clear. So what do we do? We can wire the money a week or so before we fly over so that we can pick up our coach and leave for home or we could fly over but not be able to take delivery of our coach until the wired funds clear (which could be a week). Apparantly the delay is caused by Homeland Security rules. We would be nervous sending the money in advance. Even GM can go bankrupt.
Any ideas/suggestions out there?

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #2

Have you considered a Cashiers Check from your bank. You hold the check till you have the keys for the RV.

thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bill2011,
The dealer should be able to provide the final $s owed well in advance of your picking up the unit. Get a bank check for that amount of $s just before you leave to pick up the unit. Carry the check with you to the dealer. The check should be made out to the dealer. Contact the dealer for the correct name and address.

This is how I handle all my long distance real estate transactions. If a bank check is good enough to close on property it should be good enough to close on your unit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Cashiers checks used to be good but you can stop them now. Bank transfer. I wouldn't take a cashiers check. If the transfer takes two days so be it.

I would have my bank talk to their bank and let them work it out.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do a bank transfer, but not until you have fully inspected the TV and it is to your satisfaction. Let your bank talk to their bank and tell your banker the funds are not released until you say OK.

Ken
Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
a k

Newmar Owners Club
You mean RV?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
close in escrow a third party will release the funds when all parties are satisfied
brianj
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #8

Thanks to all. It seems you guys like us feel that whatever we do it should not be to just send the money in advance and that's how we feel. The escrow method may work for us. Also we will check with dealer to see if a bankers/cashhiers/certified ck would be acceptable. That seems like a good idea. If none of that works I think we will just go there, wire the funds and wait the #days it takes to clear.

Bill
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Lot's of good ideas I like the use of a closing agent. They should know all the paperwork and as mentioned they can hold your funds in an escrow account until everything is satisfied.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
When we bought our current rig, we used a credit card to make the deposit and the dealer (Lazy Days, near Tampa, FL) was OK with a personal check for the balance. So when we picked the rig up, we sat across the desk and wrote the biggest check of my life! If it had bounced, the sheriff knew where to find me.

Actually, I was surprised they were willing to go that route.

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #11

I'm Canadian and bought from a private seller in Florida. I had an American bank account with Bank of America and when I thought the deal would go, and just before I flew to Florida, I wired the money to my american account. Then when I wanted to pay I tried to get my money and it wasn't there. I had been given the wrong transit number and BOA sent the money back. It was a big hassle and worry wondering where my money was and when I would get it. In the end it was only two extra nights in Ft. Meyers and I got to see some of Florida. The point is spend the time now getting everything lined up, you'll have enough to think about with your new rig without adding extra problems. I think talking to the dealer about how they think the transaction should go is an excellent idea, most of them have experience dealing with Canadians and will know what your options are. Best of luck, Dave
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Consider the wait a vacation. Also, you may be able to stay in the MH on the dealers lot. Most of them have 50 amp and if the fresh water tank is filled, and the waste tanks are empty, you should be able to stay a week or longer. It will also give you some time to work out any little bugs.

Good luck, which ever way you take.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
Thanks to all. It seems you guys like us feel that whatever we do it should not be to just send the money in advance and that's how we feel. The escrow method may work for us. Also we will check with dealer to see if a bankers/cashhiers/certified ck would be acceptable. That seems like a good idea. If none of that works I think we will just go there, wire the funds and wait the #days it takes to clear.

Bill
..I think we will just go there, wire the funds and wait the #days it takes to clear.

I think that is a great idea Bill, this way you can relax at your own pace, not be rushed through the process, and spend quite a bit of time alone in your new purchase. Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Find out where the dealer banks. Open an account in that bank with enough to cover the coach. Then when you are satisfied the money can be transferred to the dealer in seconds. That way the money is there and in your name until the deal is done.

LEN