Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

How to prevent calcium buildup in Hot Water Heater

We have a 2010 Winnebago Adventurer. We live in it full-time and travel to new campgrounds weekly. Our Atwood GCH10A-4E (no anode rod from what I can tell) hot water heater keeps failing to work due to being clogged by calcium deposits. Hubby has flushed/cleaned it out 3 times since April. Each time he has gotten lots of calcium out of the tank and that seems to work for a while. Then the cycle begins again.

How can this calcium buildup be avoided? Thanks in advance for your help!

Additional Note - We do use a water filter at the outside water valve.
JanAndDougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #2

Use a whole house water filter before enters RV....Home Depot and Lowes have them and not what I'd call expensive......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
"Hubby has flushed/cleaned it out 3 times since April. Each time he has gotten lots of calcium out of the tank and that seems to work for a while. Then the cycle begins again."

I have never flushed mine, except during and incident to winterization. Three times in six months??? That, my friend, is not calcium in solution in the water coming out of solution in your hwh. That is dirty water. If you have a filter, maybe that is what's coming apart and filling your hwh. If you do not have a filter, get one -- or three.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Thanks. We do use a water filter at the outside water valve.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #5

Old 09-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

We have the same HWH as you do.

Flushing your HWH with white vinegar is a PM item. If you're FTing, flush twice a year without a water softener, once a year with one.

You need a water softener to remove calcium and magnesium from building up in the first place. Some places/CG's have very hard water and this is the way to address this problem. Adding a water softener was one of the best upgrades we've done. It not only will save your HWH but all your appliances, plumbing lines and water faucets.

I highly recommend an additional, 2 stage water filtering system o you can have safe, good tasting water throughout the entire coach. Addressing how safe water comes into the coach—in our world—is a top priority.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wetbay-setup-wide-view.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	260892   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-water-source-detail.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	260895  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanAndDougS View Post
If it's one of those blue Camco filters or something similar it's not near enough. That's only a sedi filter and totally not adequate by itself and will not help at all in your calcium build up.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You would have to install a water softener to reduce the hardness of the water. An anode will help.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #9

What model do you use of the On The Go water softener?

Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
We have the same HWH as you do.

Flushing your HWH with white vinegar is a PM item. If you're FTing, flush twice a year without a water softener, once a year with one.

You need a water softener to remove calcium and magnesium from building up in the first place. Some places/CG's have very hard water and this is the way to address this problem. Adding a water softener was one of the best upgrades we've done. It not only will save your HWH but all your appliances, plumbing lines and water faucets.

I highly recommend an additional, 2 stage water filtering system o you can have safe, good tasting water throughout the entire coach. Addressing how safe water comes into the coach—in our world—is a top priority.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #10

Use a filter but more important a water softener, and recharge it every couple of weeks.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Use a filter but more important a water softener, and recharge it every couple of weeks.
I used a 602ABC system for five years and don't load the coach without it. Mine is a 16,000 grain and it last about two weeks before a recharge, unless I am in southern AZ.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I used a 602ABC system for five years and don't load the coach without it. Mine is a 16,000 grain and it last about two weeks before a recharge, unless I am in southern AZ.
What is the recharge process? I understand how my home unit does it. How does the portable unit do its recharge without a dedicated salt tank?

I know I really need to get one. I just want to know what I'm getting into.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanAndDougS View Post
We have a 2010 Winnebago Adventurer. We live in it full-time and travel to new campgrounds weekly. Our Atwood GCH10A-4E (no anode rod from what I can tell) hot water heater keeps failing to work due to being clogged by calcium deposits. Hubby has flushed/cleaned it out 3 times since April. Each time he has gotten lots of calcium out of the tank and that seems to work for a while. Then the cycle begins again.

How can this calcium buildup be avoided? Thanks in advance for your help!

Additional Note - We do use a water filter at the outside water valve.

What do you mean by 'failing to work'??
Hot water flow stops, is restricted?
That is a clogged up check valve in hot outlet......get rid of that check valve
Only needed if you 'winterize' RV and as FTrs not happening.
Or install a shutoff vlave on hot out.

We FT'd for 7 yrs and other then an occasional drain/flush never had issues with 'failing to work' due to water quality.
But we didn't have a check valve in hot out to clog up/fail

Anode Rod........
Although they are avaialble via aftermarket they are NOT avaialble from Atwood because they are NOT needed/required or provide ANY benefit for an ALUMINUM Tank.
**Suburban MUST use because it is a STEEL Tank that will corode w/o an andoe rod and is OEM.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
What is the recharge process? I understand how my home unit does it. How does the portable unit do its recharge without a dedicated salt tank?

I know I really need to get one. I just want to know what I'm getting into.

Turn off water supply
Open top and pour 1 lb of table salt inside
Put top back on and let it soak
Then slow rinse and place back in service

Soak/rinse times dependent on size of unit
Roughly 1 hour start to finish for typical regen

Occasionally do a back flush to fluff the resin beads up
*Hook up water backwards and backflow full volume----gets rid of 'channelling'

Depending on water source and size of unit..regen every 10-14 days normal water usage 2 adults
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, vent, water, water heater