Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I recently needed to replace a Attwood/Excel flip/crank out window pane in a 2005 Winnebago Journey due to a broken seal and collecting water.

The coach is outside of Winnebago warranty but the windows are still under Attwoods 2 year warranty. I contacted Attwood Customer Care (260-463-2116, x510) and once we got the part numbers figured out they manufactured a replacement and shipped via UPS Ground free of charge. It took only two weeks for me to receive the new window pane.

Phyically replacing the window pane was reasonably simple but with a couple of potential gotcha's. Since the process applies at least to Attwood/Excel windows for lots of different motorhomes I thought it worthwhile to document a usable process for a larger audience.

DISCLAIMER: Read through the steps completely first before deciding to attempt this yourself. I am in no way responsible for any injuries or damage incurred by others following the procedure documented below or any variation therein.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Get a ladder tall enough to safely reach the top of the window on the outside and and also a T15 Torx screwdriver.
<LI>The outside weatherstipping at the hinge is the main thing that keeps the flip window locked in the frame once the crank is removed. For safety I chose to remove the weatherstripping in a later step.
<LI>Go inside and crank the window all the way out and, using the Torx screwdriver, unscrew the the crank handle and remove it.
<LI>Now remove the screen.
<LI>Unscrew the crank mechanism from the frame (two screws) and carefully lift the mechanism over the top of the mount while pushing out.
DO NOT PUSH THE WINDOW ANY FURTHER OUT THAN WHAT IS NECESSARY FOR THE CRANK TO CLEAR THE FRAME. IF YOU PUSH TOO FAR OUT YOU WILL BIND THE TOP OF THE WINDOW IN THE WEATHERSTRIPPING. IF THIS OCCURS THE WINDOW WILL BE STUCK OPEN AND ITS WEIGHT COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE WINDOW FRAME OR CAUSE GLASS TO BREAK. YOU CAN FIX IT BY PULLING UP ON THE WEATHERSTRIPPING FROM THE OUTSIDE WHILE HOLDING THE WINDOW AT 90 DEGREES OR MORE BUT IT MAY DAMAGE THE WEATHERSTRIPPING

<LI>Slide the crank arms sideways off the rail on the bottom of the window.

<LI>Climb up on the ladder outside and carefully peel back left to right the weatherstripping over the hinge area. Clean and Armor All the weatherstripping for re-installation later.

<LI>From outside on the ladder open/lift the window up from the edge until horizontal to the ground (90 degrees to the coach). Then lift up slightly and push in. The top of the window should disengage from the frame easily NOTE: THE WINDOW IS HEAVY AND AWKWARE. PREPARE TO HANDLE IT ACCORDINGLY.

<LI>Reverse the above steps to install the new window pane.[/list]After all is said and done it's as good as new.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jon, thanks for posting photos and discription of the window pane replacement. I am sure some of your members can use this to their advantage and save some moneyin the process. We look forwar to reading of any other repairs and tips you can pass along. Good luck and take care.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #3

Jon,
Thanks for your post. I am trying to replace my window also but can't get the weatherstripping to come out of the grove. It seems to be glued in or really tight. How did you get yours to come out. I tried pulling out with pliers. I'm affraid I've damaged mine already. Maybe mine is differant than your Journey although it looks the same. Mine a a Adventure 35U.
Thanks Charlie
Old 08-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #4

Jon, Hope you see this, I need to know how you removed the weather strip from you window.
Thanks, Charlie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rigrunner:
Jon,
Thanks for your post. I am trying to replace my window also but can't get the weatherstripping to come out of the grove. It seems to be glued in or really tight. How did you get yours to come out. I tried pulling out with pliers. I'm affraid I've damaged mine already. Maybe mine is differant than your Journey although it looks the same. Mine a a Adventure 35U.
Thanks Charlie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-29-2006, 07:13 AM   #5

The weather stripping is just wedged in very tight between two pieces of metal. You do need to take care pulling it out so as not to damage the rubber (I failed to note this in my original instructions).

I got the end started with a small flat blade screwdriver and then used a sets of wide pliers with a rag over the rubber to minize damage. Once I got a couple of inches out I was able to pull the rest out by hand pulling perpindicular to the window.

Hope this helps

Old 08-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #6

Jon, SUPER
I was thinking I would probably have to pry it out of the grove. Hey thanks for the nice reply and the original post. It has helped me very much. I called Paul Diamond at Atwood and he is also sending me a new weather strip.
Regards, Rigrunner
Old 08-30-2006, 05:46 AM   #7

Paul has been great to work with.