Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #1

I recently purchased a 2001 Class A with white exterior. After hooking up my new white enclosed trailer I noticed how yellow the fiberglass had turned. Does anyone have any tips on how to get that bright white back out of the gel coat??? Also anyone have some good websites to do some new decals for the sides?

Kevin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #2

I recently purchased a 2001 Class A with white exterior. After hooking up my new white enclosed trailer I noticed how yellow the fiberglass had turned. Does anyone have any tips on how to get that bright white back out of the gel coat??? Also anyone have some good websites to do some new decals for the sides?

Kevin

Old 09-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #3

Thedford makes a cleaner that really worked well for me. It even cleaned the oxidation off the decals. This was on a 94 Fleetwood that lived in AZ so it got lots of sun. Bought the cleaner at camper world.

2008 Presidio
chicken legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by westexgt:

Kevin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poly Prep and Poly Glow did the trick for me on my prior coach a 95 Vectra. On the day we lost it in a fire the shine was so deep that people thought it was still wet from the fire hoses even though it was completely dry.

Check out their web site:

\\http://www.poliglowproducts.com/index2.phtml
Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #5

Get a good oxide remover to lighten the finish. After that think about finding something that will protect against this recurring. I applied Presto, here, to my seven year old MH gelcoat which was beginning to show major oxidation. I applied one coat last spring and a second coat to areas that needed it last week. The appearance is close to new now. Presto is rubbed on and cured by UV. It forms a very hard clear coat. I am finding out now how long it will last. They advertise 4-5 years with only washing. Even if I have to touch it up once a year it will be well worth it. In one more year I will be better able tell the long term results.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #6

Go to your local boat or marina store. Marine fiberglass products are designed for much harsher conditions than the RV industry and have been around longer too.

I use the 3M marine wax and compound on a 12 year old boat that looks better than the day I purchased it new.