Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

How to shut the steps "off"

There have been some occasions when we've parked on the street next to a curb and the curb is higher than the steps when they extend. My steps always extend when the door is opened and always retract when closed. I can shut off the retraction when camped and would like to shut off the extension if I want. I haven't run across any switch to do this. Do any of you have a switch?

Also, is there a slip clutch built into the steps to prevent damage when this happens. I've had it happen a couple of times and the steps still work.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
I added a switch in series with the power to the steps and mounted it in my dash. Found a switch at Newark Electronics that matched the other dash switches.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same problem.. And solved it with a toggle switch.

Depending on the age of your steps the door switch either follows or opposes the door (Follows means door open switch open) I *THINK* that is the NEW style.. Older steps door open switch closed.
(the switch is a magnetic reed switch in the door jam)

I found the leads under the motor home, "tapped" into them and wired them to a toggle hidden just inside the door in the carpet lining the side of the step well.. Turn the switch "ON" and the steps thing the door is closed, all the time.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting. On my Newmar, if I turn the step switch off with the door closed and steps in, I'm almost positive they stay in even if the door is opened.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
There have been some occasions when we've parked on the street next to a curb and the curb is higher than the steps when they extend. My steps always extend when the door is opened and always retract when closed. I can shut off the retraction when camped and would like to shut off the extension if I want. I haven't run across any switch to do this. Do any of you have a switch?

Also, is there a slip clutch built into the steps to prevent damage when this happens. I've had it happen a couple of times and the steps still work.
I guess if you are parked you could also turn off the coach 12vdc power via toggle switch.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tape magnet on switch with steps in. Controller will never see door open.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:23 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
I guess if you are parked you could also turn off the coach 12vdc power via toggle switch.
I think on ours the steps are wired to the chassis battery and not the house battery so turning the 12 volt (salesman) switch off doesn't turn off the steps.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

Our '02 rig had an on/off switch at the top of the inside steps that disconnected the step-motor power at whatever position they were at. We were on a State ferry two years ago and were immediately behind a nearly new Class A. The vehicles are parked very close together (side by side) with barely enough room to walk between them.

After everyone had boarded, the folks in the Class A opened the house door. The steps came out and hit an almost new Mercedes in both driver's side doors. Since they weren't fully extended, they wouldn't retract. There was quite an altercation when we got to Friday Harbor! Disembarkation took a while.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Interesting. On my Newmar, if I turn the step switch off with the door closed and steps in, I'm almost positive they stay in even if the door is opened.
jt
Kwikee makes two different controllers. The older one worked that way.. The newer one does not.

One additional comment to the O/P.

Kwikee steps, contrary to what some think, DO NOT have limit switches.. When you open the door the steps extend. when they hit something (Say the curb) or when the arm hits the stop, the motor stalls, current surges and the controller says to itself "Done extending" and shuts down.

Same when you close the door..

Thus it does no damage if they hit the curb

It may, however, be dangrous (Slip and fall type danger).
Old 07-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post

After everyone had boarded, the folks in the Class A opened the house door. The steps came out and hit an almost new Mercedes in both driver's side doors. Since they weren't fully extended, they wouldn't retract. There was quite an altercation when we got to Friday Harbor! Disembarkation took a while.
Wow, thanks for that cautionary tale! We love going to Anacortes and since purchasing our new motorhome we have been considering the Coupeville Ferry to avoid the Seattle driving nightmare. On our Bay Star there is no way to stop the steps from activating. I tried every conceivable combination.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #11

It would be relatively simple to add a toggle switch in the line supplying the step motor. As I remember the logic behind deleting that feature on newer models, it was to avoid people falling out of the RV when the door was opened and they didn't notice that the steps were retracted.

Lawyers against common sense strike again, quite literally in the case of that Mercedes!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
jt

Mine operates this way. I use this feature often when parked at a campground. I have a heavy duty folding step that I prefer to use so I leave the automatic step retracted.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Ours has a switch just inside with all of the light switches and it works well except when dw hits it instead of lights with door closed then flips back...Later stepping out into air...

Engine overrides the built in step switch that will allow retract when door closed and engine running.

(Now insert locking pin to lock steps out)

You could add switch in motor line to insure motor cannot run regardless but controller may not like it.

What model do you have?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
jt
This is also the way the steps worked in our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer and our current 2013 Adventurer. In addition turning off the 12 volt power doesn't disable the steps.

Tags
steps