Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How To Videos for RVers

After 8 years of full-timing, we've just had the pleasure of helping close friends purchase their first RV. They even followed our example by buying a 2005 Newmar!

As part of our effort to help our friends avoid the steep learning curve we had to endure, we made some "How To" videos for them. As we handle most of our own maintenance and repair work, we felt we had a lot to offer them to get a serious jump-start on RVing knowledge.

Since some of the videos were more than just beginner basics, we decided to put them up on YouTube so that other friends of ours could watch them too. The response has been very positive, and we've been encouraged to make them known to a wider audience.

We've made 8 videos so far, covering topics like how to use steel wool to improve windshield clarity, tips for super-cleaning the black tank, and how to create a simple, inexpensive device that makes it easier to inflate the front tires on a diesel pusher to the higher pressures often required.

Our YouTube channel with all of the videos can be found here:

RVgeeks's Channel - YouTube

Some of our friends who've been RVing quite a long time have said they picked up several tips. We hope you will too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just watched the inflation video. Very well done, John.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

Wow, thanks for the Videos: Just watched the Black Water Tank Cleaning Video> Was having some issues and now feel much more confident working with this. Great ! Thanks from a Newbie!
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hey John, I like that setup you have where you can just stick your tire inflator on the valve stem and it stays there. What are the components involved with that and where do you find them?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is some great information. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Hey John, I like that setup you have where you can just stick your tire inflator on the valve stem and it stays there. What are the components involved with that and where do you find them?
USMCRET,

It is a pretty handy little air chuck, especially if your tires are low and need a lot of air.

I don't recall exactly where I picked this particular air chuck up... but they're available at most Home Improvement (Home Depot, Lowes, ACE Hardware, RONA, etc) or Auto Parts (NAPA, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc) stores. Or even at truck stops like Pilot/Flying J, TA, etc.

The rest of the parts were all found in the plumbing and hardware sections at a home improvement store. The quick connects and the air pressure gauge were in the hardware section with the other air compressor parts (each quick connect came with both the male & female ends you need). The brass "T" and any other adapters that were needed were in the plumbing section. As was the pipe tape.

If you're at all handy, it's a pretty quick-and-easy, fun project (and a good excuse to spend some "quality time" in the hardware store, too! LOL!).
Old 09-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, everyone! I'm glad you like the videos! They were fun to put together. I hope more people find them useful, too!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
As a newbie to the RVing world, I learned quite a bit. I would suggest that you explain in your videos terms that the uneducated Joe wouldn't know, (Boondocking, etc.) for us guys. Just like you would when your teaching your child for the first time.

Can't wait for your next video, I subscribed. =)
ArmyMPFromMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

When looking for that air chuck, look for the exact shape! The end is straight.
These have threads inside the chuck. Sometimes to get them to hold, move the chuck slightly to the side for the threads to catch the threads on the stem. They work very well.
Auto parts stores will probably carry them as well.
I've only seen the tire inflation video. Well done bcbounder!!!
Pat
Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMPFromMO View Post
As a newbie to the RVing world, I learned quite a bit. I would suggest that you explain in your videos terms that the uneducated Joe wouldn't know, (Boondocking, etc.) for us guys. Just like you would when your teaching your child for the first time.

Can't wait for your next video, I subscribed. =)
Glad the videos were helpful! Sorry 'bout the use of RV'ing slang... it's sometimes hard to remember what "insiders" know and what the "average Joe" knows. LOL! I'll try to keep that in mind on future videos so that I include explanations of any terms that might be confusing. Great input!

Oh... and just in case: "boondocking" = "dry camping" = camping/RV'ing with no hookups (no water, sewer, or electric connections).

Thanks for subscribing to my channel. I'm not sure when the next video(s) will go up (I'll be traveling quite a bit in the next month or two), but you'll know once they do!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Pat View Post
When looking for that air chuck, look for the exact shape! The end is straight.
These have threads inside the chuck. Sometimes to get them to hold, move the chuck slightly to the side for the threads to catch the threads on the stem. They work very well.
Auto parts stores will probably carry them as well.
I've only seen the tire inflation video. Well done bcbounder!!!
Pat
Thanks for explaining that, Pat. That's good advice for how to identify the chuck that "holds itself" in place on the valve stem.

Glad you liked the video!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Here's some links to the dual foot lock-on air chuck:

Amazon.com: Air Chuck Dual Foot Straight On Tilt Lock: Home Improvement
AA Premium Dual Wheel Air Chucks Closed Type (Coated) (38-128): All Tire Supply Company
Great deal on Milton S-693 at ToolTopia.com

I'm sure truck stops should have them also, I will be looking the next time I visit one.

Ditto on the job well done, bcbounders
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Loved the videos..
One question though. When you replaced the roof vent you used mineral spirits. Was that other than a rubber roof? If a rubber roof, what do you use to clean the area?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
Loved the videos..
One question though. When you replaced the roof vent you used mineral spirits. Was that other than a rubber roof? If a rubber roof, what do you use to clean the area?
Bill,

The roof on our coach (in the video) is fiberglass, but on our previous coach (a 2003 Bounder Diesel) we had an EPDM rubber roof and used mineral spirits on and around anything we were going to Dicor. We were just always careful to use the mineral spirits sparingly (just a small amount on a soft cloth) on any of the roof material because Dicor, one of the major manufacturers of EPDM rubber roof membranes, warns against using mineral spirits on any large areas or allowing it to soak into an area, as it can penetrate the membrane and dissolve the adhesive holding it to the roof. You can read more about their care recommendations in this PDF from their website:

http://www.dicor.com/resources/PDF/R...Care_&_Mnt.pdf

Their exact wording is:

Quote:
For stubborn stains, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. DO NOT use mineral spirits in a large area or allow it to soak into the membrane.
With a 2006 coach, I would bet that your roof is also EPDM (or some other, more modern equivalent), so care using mineral spirits is important. I'd recommend contacting Monaco to ask them if 2006-era Holiday Rambler roofs could be damaged by contact with mineral spirits... and, if so, what cleaning methods they recommend.

Worst case, either use Dicor's own spray-on cleaner or a mild soap and water mixture and just let the area thoroughly dry before applying any Dicor.

Hope that helps.