Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #29

I have a story to beat you all! A customer of ours found that when they fill their fresh water tank it siphons out the overflow drain. Soooo their solution was to install a ball valve on the overflow drain. Unfortunately they forgot to open the ball valve and filled the tank. Problem was there wasn't anywhere for the overflow to go.....................

They're looking at about $15K of damage. You wouldn't believe the damage it did. Both slides have to be removed. The floor is buckled up. The counter top on the kitchen slide is buckled. The cabinets are buckled.

Don't do this! (but it does bring great work into our shop!)
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I have a story to beat you all! A customer of ours found that when they fill their fresh water tank it siphons out the overflow drain. Soooo their solution was to install a ball valve on the overflow drain. Unfortunately they forgot to open the ball valve and filled the tank. Problem was there wasn't anywhere for the overflow to go.....................

They're looking at about $15K of damage. You wouldn't believe the damage it did. Both slides have to be removed. The floor is buckled up. The counter top on the kitchen slide is buckled. The cabinets are buckled.

By the way.... the correct way to fix the overflow siphoning out the fresh water tank is to put a loop in the drain line for the overflow. It acts as a trap and it will prevent siphoning, but will still act as an overflow for the fresh water tank when filling.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #31
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post

Somethings you just don't want to laugh about but you can't help it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Well for those that have done that...I thank you...We got a sweet deal on the GS, because the previous owner took out the back three bays...Was in the body shop when we bought it...They were so upset they traded it..There opps...Our gain...D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
My oops wasn't with a RV but pretty seriously dumb on both my part (the driver) and the hubby (who was guiding me). Friend backed our tent trailer into our car port and snugged it in right up near the posts after he borrowed it. Next trip out, it didn't come out straight and I brought a car port support pole to within an inch of coming out from under that corner of the roof and complete collapse (our roof extends from the house to over the car port). Luckily I stopped just in time. A couple hours later a jack was in place holding up the roof, and off we went. I DID have a beer that night at the campsite once settled in!!!

DH's funniest oops wasn't an accident but funny. We had stopped for diesel and were ready to get going. We had the generator going and DH took off the airbrake, put his foot on the accelerator and we rolled forward. Unfortunately, we had no GO, even with the pedal pressed, and DH starts to look alarmed: "it won't go!". I suggested that he turn on the engine and try again.

He was suitably sheepish. I thought it was hilarious. He defended himself that the generator sounded like the engine.

One of those moments you are embarrassed for your fallability as an RV owner! I had a DUH moment on our last trip where I almost took out a driver because I wasn't looking in the right mirror. It was a very good reminder and I took the nudge and got my act together and drove very attentively that day.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #34

OK, where can I take a driving course? We live in the Sacramento area and I've only driven it for 50 miles across Texas (I'm sure with my eyes closed when the trucks came by). My husband drove all the way from Fla. to California and did an excellent job. I would like to take part of the driving for him. Any recommendations? Thx. shaweety@gmail.com
Shaweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02930.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	13949

Name:	DSC02931.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	597.8 KB
ID:	13950

Name:	DSC02932.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	519.6 KB
ID:	13951

Not sure if these pics will come out. Need to figure this thing out. But the cement pole lodged between the rig and the bumper. Frank took the bumber off and threw it in the storage compartment and off we went.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
Not sure if these pics will come out. Need to figure this thing out. But the cement pole lodged between the rig and the bumper. Frank took the bumber off and threw it in the storage compartment and off we went.
Wow. That looks like something that would happen to me. Some days I think my purpose in life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Zebulon, eh? I lived just across the highway from you from '96 till '06 between hwy 96 and 401.

Jim
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Wow. That looks like something that would happen to me. Some days I think my purpose in life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Zebulon, eh? I lived just across the highway from you from '96 till '06 between hwy 96 and 401.

Jim
I wish I could say that is the only thing that has been dinged up on our home. Zebulon is actually our daughters home. We needed somewheree to send our mail. We lived in Johnston county near Angier and at one time out on 42E in Selma.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
This is why they give you the bottles of touch up paint.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #39

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
In my household we've both done damage to vehicles so fingers are never pointed. The funniest (I wasn't there) when my hubby driving our new to us A gasser from CA to VA and somewhere in the midwest backed into a tree. No damage to the MH but pushed the smallish tree completely over.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #40

Feel sorry to hear that. It must be an unforgettable experience in ur life~ Hope there won't be issue like that any more~
Fernandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #41

I can only shake my head and smile, I have had my share of oh fuddle moments too. Like the day I backed under the fiver to move it away from the fence. Jacks up, check. Chocks and blocking clear, check. Got in the truck, put in gear and BANG. Fergot to latch the hitch Then there was the day I punched out the back window but we won't go into that.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To RV and never put a scratch on the rig would be like riding a down pillow at the rodeo.

Body shop will make her look new again, insurance will foot most of the bill except the deductable and you can drink Keystone Lights for a month or two to make up for the deductable expenses.

Drive it like ya own it, love it like it has never failed ya, and try to fix the Oopss's as they occur ! Enjoy !