Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

HUGE Slide alignment & Seal issues

We brought the slide out recently not knowing that there was a broom lurking between the wall and the slide. It pretty much destroyed the broom and punched a neat little hole in the wall.

Now the slide seems to be out of alignment. The slide seems to be too close to the frame on the side opposite where the boom was. Now, every time we bring the slide on or out, the seal comes off. I've re-intsalled the seal (which is no fun) but the problem persists.

Do these slides have any kind of adjustment mechanisms to help with alignment or leveling?

The rig is a 2007 Fleetwood Jamboree 26J. We are going full-time in about three weeks, so I need to get to the bottom of this pronto.

THANKS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120897.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	128530   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120900.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	128531  

Name:	P1120901.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	128532  
deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #2

Hi Deprived,
I assume your room slide mechanisms is made by Powergear, right? If so they do have several adjustments that can be made. My coach had a simular problem as yours, but in my case the problem was not a witches broom, but a automatic leveling system that wasn't all that level. After I calibrated the system the room stays centered.

I'll look for the PDF file in my computer and if you do have a Power Gear system let me know and I can attach a link to the repair/adjustment file.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Hi Deprived,
I assume your room slide mechanisms is made by Powergear
Yep, Powergear. The electric one!

I got under there once the rain let up (we are in central Texas) and lit looks like there are a few nuts and bolts you loosen up to get things moving. I'm sure there is MUCH more to it than that. Maybe this isn't the disaster it seems like.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #4

IF it is like mine, there are basically two places adjustments can be made. One place is probably where you saw, the other is by the motor where you are supposed to be able to equalize the room ends.( I don't have experience making that equalizing procedure. Someone else told me about it)

Lets see if these documents help you. Some of these are on the leveling system, if your stabilizers are Power Gear also. Enjoy the reading!
Old 05-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #5

I want to post as much detail for this as I can so maybe it can help someone else.

The rain let up and I was able to have a peek at the adjustment mechanisms for the slide. Just to see how much work I was in for, I loosened up the nuts for the lateral slide adjustment. It took just a few foot-pounds for the nuts to come loose - much less than I think would be needed. Were they loose to begin with? I didn't see any scrapes at the adjustment points, so who knows?

The vertical adjustment looks pretty straightforward, too. Two carriage bolts hold everything in place while a single nut adjusts the unit.

I'm not adjusting anything until I have a chance to read up a bit more on this. Jobs that look this simple are usually not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tag.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	128556   Click image for larger version

Name:	vertical.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	128557  

Name:	lateral_adjust.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	128558  
Old 05-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #6

Woops looks like one file didn't load. Stand by and let me see if I can find a link. Looks like the file to to large to attach here...............
Old 05-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #7

Here is another one I forgot. I'm still looking for an online link to the other one.

OK here is the link to the other file:
http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...lideoutSys.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PowerGear Sliding Room.pdf (247.2 KB, 899 views)
Old 05-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #8

Thanks!!! I will give all of these proper attention tomorrow morning.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #9

Okay - long story short. Everything needed adjusting. Why? The slide is a very complicated thing in terms of alignment. One adjustment affects every other adjustment. So if you change the leveling, then the lateral must be adjusted and then the arms must be adjusted.

The good news is, it's really not that hard skill-wise. But it does require some agility and muscle. The PDFs others have posted in this thread are very, very helpful.

Tags
seal, slide