Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

Hughes Autoformer vs. TRC

I see where Hughes states that their 50 amp Autoformer offers some protection against electrical surges and spikes, although they don't give any rating. TRC says their equivalent does not offer protection against surges and they don't mention spikes at all. Anyone have any idea why they would be different?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what TRC product you are comparing to, but if you are looking for surge & spike protection, get a Surgeguard (made by TRC) or the Progressive Industries product. Both have excellent surge protection as well as protection against under/over voltage and other power line problems.

The Autoformer has a bit of surge protection, but lacks the other power monitoring functions.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #3

Doesn't the autoformer mainly deal with low voltage situations? As in making sure the voltage stays at the right level & if low corrects it? My understanding would need the surge protection & the autoformer together..but don't quote me!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses guys. I do already have a surge guard and am now working on the potential low voltage situation. While doing comparison shopping I noticed the difference in the specs between the two and wondered why that would be. My thinking is that additional surge and spike protection couldn't hurt and so the Hughes product might be the best value. On the other hand, TRC offers excellent products and using their voltage regulator with the Surge Guard might be the best engineered all inclusive solution. Now I've read up on the Power Master unit and it also claims surge and spike protection, second to none, and looks like a quality product. Cost is less a concern to me than value. So I just need to figure out which one offers the best.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

Good luck in choosing the right one :-) we are deciding on a surge protector between plug in & hard wired plus which brand too.

We are rebuilding /modelling the shore power connection compartment so a hard wired one would be an easy addition & is looking more favorable.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Hughes unit contains some MOV's (metal Oxcide Varisistors) that are the active component in what are commonly called Surge Supressor strips. they offer only very limited surge supression (Actually if a true surge comes along they tend to go into firecracher mode,, THink of a fire cracker when the fuse completly burns out. BANG!!!, I have, as they say "Been there" and speak from observation, though not a Hughes thankfully it still cost me over 100 in replacement parts)

They are very effective on Spikes, that is till they wear out.

You can get "Whole House" surge supressors at most any electrical supplier, Lowes, home Depot, many hardware stores and more. These can be added ahead of any Autoformer. And they are easily replaced, Simpl 3 or 4 wire hookup. It looks like a 'J" box with cover and 2 LED's in the cover. The "Magic" is inside the J-box. (Standard outlet size J-box) I have seen these in RV parks believe it or not. Have one in my electrical bay. (But then I also have a hughes autoformer in there)

Difference between a surge and a spike.

Imagine a water spout. (Fountain) Shoots straight up, about 1" wide. That's a spike

Imagine a good 10' surf.. Now that'... A surge.