Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Hughes AutoTransformer fail/fix

The Hughes unit failed me this past week. Thought about shipping it back for repair (4-years old) but decided to do a look-see first. Drilled out the pop rivets and lifted the lid. Turns out that the plug-in (female 50-amp) had a burned out slot. $6.87 for a new receptacle and a couple of hours of labor ( I work slow) and she is good as new.

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have one, it's the 30 amp unit with 50 amp plugs that CW sold for a while. I used it on a 50 amp circuit once and blew it up. Had a friend that was into electronics, he took it and found a blown resistor and replaced it. Still have the unit but have pretty much quit using it. In fact it's not even in the rig now.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought Hughes sold a genuine 30 and a genuine 50, it was the other company that sold a 30, a 30.30 and a 50.50

That is a 30 amp, straigt
A 30 amp dual with 50 amp plug and socket
and a true 50 amp (Which is always a dual)

I have a hughes hidden next to my ATS, which Damon hid. I know where it's at, but you'd need luck or skill to find it.. This means the odds of it growing legs in the hight.. Kind of low.

And if someone tried. The odds of them ... Well let's say I sit next to that thing often IT's in my Radio Room.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
I had one of the other units (Franks?) that was a 35-amp with 50-amp connectors. It did not fare well when I had to load it up. Never understood why they marketed it like that. Worked great as long as only 30-amps or less was required.

The Hughes is built like an anvil. SOLID piece of gear. I suspect that my male plug had a corroded spot or some such and just over heated the neutral connection. Sure was glad I didn't pay $30 bucks to ship it back for repair.

Know what you mean about them growing legs and walking away. I use a braided cable and lock to help keep honest men honest.

"Gun control means hitting what you aim at".
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are other advantages to the "Install" kit

For one I plugged it in ONE TIME, I will likely never plug it in again so long as I own this rig. For another I recall one time when I was "Overnighting" in a campground next door to a wind farm Winds that night 90 sustaind with 110 gusts (plenty, in fact too much wind for the wind farm)

Voltage at the post .... 90

Since I was overnighting, and had not yet installed the Hughes, I'd not drug it out (Anval's are HEAVY don't you know)

Plus a few places I've parked had a "NO Autoformers" rule.

So, now.. I don't worry about plugging it in, I don't have to drag it out, No problem at all and the "No Autofomer Police" won't see a thing. Even if they open every cabinet and compartment they will not see a thing. I need screwdrivers to look at it.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
This might be a dumb question. I've been reading the posts on the surge protectors and see I may need one. I've been living the russian roulette myself for the past 30+ years .

So, my question is.. if I have one of the Hughes 50A Autoformers.. Will I still need one? I'd guess the answer might still be yes. I'd think the transformer would absorb the spikes but, won't protect me from "way low" or "way high" voltages. I've used it in Mexico where one park was lower than the limit on the HA.. and the voltage in the coach was still low. Never had a "too high" condition.

Anyhow, any thought clarifying would be beneficial to me.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I thought Hughes sold a genuine 30 and a genuine 50, it was the other company that sold a 30, a 30.30 and a 50.50
Nope, it's a true Hughes brand unit, 50 amp plugs in and out but only 30 amp (3,600 watt) internals.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Obviously they don't understand how they work, if they did they would welcome them!!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
There are other advantages to the "Install" kit

For one I plugged it in ONE TIME, I will likely never plug it in again so long as I own this rig. For another I recall one time when I was "Overnighting" in a campground next door to a wind farm Winds that night 90 sustaind with 110 gusts (plenty, in fact too much wind for the wind farm)

Voltage at the post .... 90

Since I was overnighting, and had not yet installed the Hughes, I'd not drug it out (Anval's are HEAVY don't you know)

So, now.. I don't worry about plugging it in, I don't have to drag it out, No problem at all and the "No Autofomer Police" won't see a thing. Even if they open every cabinet and compartment they will not see a thing. I need screwdrivers to look at it.
Never saw a No Autoformer Policy, what is the logic behind this policy?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Never saw a No Autoformer Policy, what is the logic behind this policy?
using an autoformer, the amperage draw on the park pedestal increases commensurate with the voltage increase inside your rv. this can cause more problems for cg owners who should fix the low voltage problem in the first place.
like everything else, fixing electrical problems costs money.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
This might be a dumb question. I've been reading the posts on the surge protectors and see I may need one. I've been living the Russian roulette myself for the past 30+ years .

So, my question is.. if I have one of the Hughes 50A Autoformers.. Will I still need one? I'd guess the answer might still be yes. I'd think the transformer would absorb the spikes but, won't protect me from "way low" or "way high" voltages. I've used it in Mexico where one park was lower than the limit on the HA.. and the voltage in the coach was still low. Never had a "too high" condition.

Anyhow, any thought clarifying would be beneficial to me.
The setup that I have and recommend would be the PowerMaster Voltage Booster with 3580 Joules of SURGE protection followed with the Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C system with another 3580 Joules of Surge protection.

The Hughes autoformer will work in place of the PowerMaster but I believe it only goes up to a maximum of 10% boost. I think that it has some SURGE protection but I don't know how much.

The Progressive Ind. EMS system provides the most protection for your coach as it monitors ALL aspect of the incoming electrical supply from the pedestal.

Read this Blog to better understand ALL of the benefits of the Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C unit.

120 Volt Electrical Protection: Part I - Progressive Industries EMS - iRV2 Forums

Quote:

Any place that I pull into, if they have posted a notice of No Autoformers allowed, that would be my first clue to turn and drive away quickly. It is a CLEAR message that their power supply SUCKS and they do not want to invest in upgrading it to code.

If I had to stay there for whatever reason, they would not know I even have one as mine is enclosed in a secure compartment protected and hidden. However, I would more than likely choose NOT to stay there and would probably take my chances at a local church parking lot, Wal-Mart or the mall for one night.

I have been in only one RV park where the voltage was TOO high and my Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C cut-off power because of excessive voltage. That was in TOK Alaska, I did NOT want to disconnect my PowerMaster, therefore I simply used my 30 amp dog-bone and the 30 amp outlet for the night.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.