The day before hurricane Wilma hit South Florida, I went to the rv storage yard to prepare our motorhome for the storm. I fired up the engine with the intent of moving it into another position. When I tried to put the Allison trans into gear, nothing happened- no matter what button or combination of buttons I pushed the trans would not respond.
Upon investigation, I found that the main wiring harness leading to the trans had been chewed nearly in half!
In addition to that, a lower coolant system hose had been chewed and was leaking, as well as a couple of other wires had been severed. Too shorten the story, it was the storage yard owners Rotwieller security dog that had done the damage.
Due to the hurricane, I was not able to tackle this problem until the last couple of days.
I repaired the coolant leak and replaced the coolant ($142 of coolant!) and made repairs to the couple of easily reparable items, but the big problem remains.
A friend of mine, who has more experience than me in this area, made temporary repairs on the Allison trans wiring harness. This enabled me to move the motorhome to a better location to work on it. As a matter of fact, the trans appears to be working normally- I even took it for a 20 mile drive after fixing the coolant system.
But the big question is, what should I do for permanent repairs to the wiring harness? Should I solder and shrink-wrap the repairs and seal it against the elements or should I take the mh somewhere for a wiring harness replacement? Or is there something else that I should do?
All suggestions will be carefully considered and appreciated. Thanks.