RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #1

HWH Fluid Solenoids RAP90729

Just an FYI in case you need HWH Fluid Solenoids RAP90729. Just replaced four of them and got a great deal on in stock replacements (IM me if you need info). Was a pretty simple job, replaced a few springs as well so the jack would retract faster. I know now not to keep it in "store mode" for more than a few minutes at a time.

firenfix4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Commercial Member

firefix, it makes a major difference, doesnt it?

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #3

It sure does, and nice I didn't have to pay a service department to get part of it right.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #4

HWH leveler electric solenoid replacement

Looks like you have had some experience with replacing the HWH solenoid valve. I have a Rexhall Vision with HWH levelers. Appears I need to replace one of the solenoid valves. Where did you buy your solenoid valve? Spendy little item with most common price being $260 but I have found some for $190. Looks like I need a RAP90729 part. Does the cam lock device on the end of the solenoid valve replace the !/4" nut that secures the solenoid valve when installed? Also, noticed a related part: O-ring kit R92101. Is it necessary to order this O-ring kit? It looks like the solenoid valve comes with the o-ring.
willydillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenfix4u2 View Post
I know now not to keep it in "store mode" for more than a few minutes at a time.
Please explain why you said that, as store only holds the solenoids open until the travel light illuminates, then the system shuts off, mine anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #6

Yes! Tell me what meant ...”not kept in Store mode for more than a few minutes”?
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:33 AM   #7

For me I had a jack that did not want to come up all the way. I guess I waited too long for "that" jack to come up on it's own, and apparently until does, all solenoids stay energized. Some time went by as I was doing other things with the RV and that's when all four solenoids fried as the jack never did come all the way up on it's own. The solenoids may very well shut down once they have returned to the store position, but I always make sure I shut everything down the second they store now. And if there is a problem with the jacks storing quickly, I will shut the system down after five minutes max and let the solenoids cool down. Hope that clarifies my issue.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenfix4u2 View Post
For me I had a jack that did not want to come up all the way. I guess I waited too long for "that" jack to come up on it's own, and apparently until does, all solenoids stay energized. Some time went by as I was doing other things with the RV and that's when all four solenoids fried as the jack never did come all the way up on it's own. The solenoids may very well shut down once they have returned to the store position, but I always make sure I shut everything down the second they store now. And if there is a problem with the jacks storing quickly, I will shut the system down after five minutes max and let the solenoids cool down. Hope that clarifies my issue.
That is odd, the solenoids are protected by an inline 40A fuse.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is odd, the solenoids are protected by an inline 40A fuse.
Yeah, makes no sense. HWH solenoids, once in "store mode", STAY THERE so the RV can travel. That's the point of "store mode". It's designed to keep them up as the RV travels over the road, and they can remain in "store mode" as long as needed.

And my experience has been that the solenoids only stay active as long as the controller needs them to be active; once one of them has accomplished it's job, the controller deactivates it, and it goes dormant.

Something's awry here.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

This is how I remember Paul explaining it to me - DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM STAY IN STORE MODE FOR LONG OR YOU'LL BURN UP THE WINDINGS IN THE SOLENOIDS. A properly working set of jacks should store in around a minute or 2 max. If you have one that is real lazy (I have a couple) you need to watch the time that the solenoids are active so you don't burn them out - I don't know if all the solenoids stay active or not and could be different for the newest vs my old 610 system (I've had all 4 of my solenoids rebuilt by HWH). I know which jacks are lazy and am ready to help them up before I start and I leave it on for 4 mins max and then off for 5 minutes if I have to get a board or block to help store one. I then start the store process again. I've seen campers leave theirs on for 10 minutes or more battling their jack(s).

Next year I am going to the factory in IA to have all the jacks rebuilt.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fottip View Post
Yeah, makes no sense. HWH solenoids, once in "store mode", STAY THERE so the RV can travel. That's the point of "store mode". It's designed to keep them up as the RV travels over the road, and they can remain in "store mode" as long as needed.
Store mode is the function of opening the solenoids (electrical current through the windings while open) so the springs on the jacks can pull the jacks back in until the limit switch at the top tells the controller that it's up and to turn off the LED on the control panel (and maybe shut off the solenoid? - would make sense but I am not sure it does this). The springs keep the jacks up when in travel mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fottip View Post
And my experience has been that the solenoids only stay active as long as the controller needs them to be active; once one of them has accomplished it's job, the controller deactivates it, and it goes dormant.

Something's awry here.
I am not sure - my pump assy is tucked inside my rear bumper and that is 40ft from the controller. No lights on the pump assy to tell me if the solenoid is active and I don't remember touching them while activated to see if they vibrate or get hot when active. So I won't say this is how they work.

Attached is the warnings from the 610 service manual. The part that says the system will run for 30 minutes is usually where the solenoid(s) windings get burned out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH Store warnings.png
Views:	7
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	263686  
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Store mode is the function of opening the solenoids (electrical current through the windings while open) so the springs on the jacks can pull the jacks back in until the limit switch at the top tells the controller that it's up and to turn off the LED on the control panel (and maybe shut off the solenoid? - would make sense but I am not sure it does this). The springs keep the jacks up when in travel mode.

Agreed. Certainly there are some functional differences between models. The documentation for my model 725 system makes no mention of a "store mode". The only "mode" mentioned is "Travel Mode", which occurs once all 4 jacks are up, all red LEDs turned off, and green "Travel Mode" LED is on.

But in the Operating Manual, at least, I found no warning about time limits except pertaining to running the pump motor, a separate issue. I gave up looking for my service manual. The HWH website indicates a new one is being built. They need a new one.

fottip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, hwh, solenoid