Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Stogie,
If my motor is not repairable, what you went through is what HWH is telling me to do. I do not understand why though. HWH says the Fenner MF4042 motor is obsolete, yet when you Google that p/n there are plenty of places this motor is available from. Seems crazy to have to swap out pump, motor, and reservoir for just a bad motor. What am I missing here? Could it be the HWH's version of the Fenner MF 4042 is dramitcally different from what is available? Anybody know?

My coach is a 2002, I tested the pressure and it showed I needed a new Pump. The replacement pump did fit in my old reservoir but the relays did not mount the same on the pump motor. I had to move them and attach them to the frame. This is not a job for the frail or faint of heart, it took some muscle and redesign. I have had some experience with this as I was a Heavy Equipment Mechanic many years ago in the Marine Corps.
You might check with HWH as to the dimensions of the new reservoir. and see if it fits the same, if not they may be willing to send just the motor. If it does fit I recommend using the factory motor with reservoir as it is well seated and clean. They send it as a unit for a reason, removal and seating the new Motor in the reservoir is not an easy job and takes some doing if you do not have the proper tools.

I find when I try to cut corners too much it ends up costing me a lot more than if I had done what the expert told me to do. The Tech at HWH was more than honest with me and very helpful. He saved me a bunch by teaching me what needed to be done to test the old motor, without this information the hydraulic shop that tested it would have botched the job, I had to show them how to test it. I had to have it tested at a shop because a pressure gauge with sufficient pressure was not available anywhere else.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
HWH sent me the schematic for the replacement pump, motor and reservoir and it is shorter and wider than the current. In other words I'll be fabbing new bracketry.
This DC motor that I talk about is only held in with 2 allen head bolts, very simple to remove and can not believe I'd have to redo the entire thing for this one part. Like I said, the motor, according to HWH, is obsolete yet Google that p/n and you can find multiple suppliers. I'm wondering if the HWH version of this p/n is somewhat different from the p/n readily available online. Very frustrating not to know.

Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my replacement motor from hwh is manufactured in hungary. i had new brushes made for the original motor and carry it as a spare.
the motor is similar to a small starter motor and i understand that it is available at napa.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Dan,
I'm hoping mine is repairable so this madness ends. However, before I install it I'm taking it around to a few other electric motor, starter repair shops for comparison.
I think the term "obsolete" is intimidating and leads one to believe "not available", yet they are readily found online. Time will tell.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Dan,
I'm hoping mine is repairable so this madness ends. However, before I install it I'm taking it around to a few other electric motor, starter repair shops for comparison.
I think the term "obsolete" is intimidating and leads one to believe "not available", yet they are readily found online. Time will tell.
i meant to say that "the hwh motor is similar to a small reduction gear starter motor'' and i heard that is is available at napa after i bought mine from hwh.
the reduction gear part makes it expensive. it may be possible to attach the reduction gear mechanism to a different motor.
my problem was that i had a rear slide that would not stay retracted and overheated the motor, melting the brush holder mounts.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i meant to say that "the hwh motor is similar to a small reduction gear starter motor'' and i heard that is is available at napa after i bought mine from hwh.
the reduction gear part makes it expensive. it may be possible to attach the reduction gear mechanism to a different motor.
My motor is a "Monarch" and I also found the same part number at several places via a google search. THe prices were similar to the HWH price.

On the Monarch there is no gearing. It may be "similar", however, the motor armature shaft directly couples to the HWH pump reservoir assembly.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Well gents, the deed is done. I purchased and installed today a RAP 91281, AKA the direct replacement of the original equipment pump/motor/reservoir.
I had the opportunity to checkout one of the online versions of my old motor and there was just no way it would work. I.E. armature shaft way too long. So, bought the HWH recommended replacement assembly. Oddly enough, the reservoir is a square metal box rather than a rounded tank. It mounted up exactly as the old unit did without any bracketry modification (thankyou Winnebago for the room). Best of all, it works great and have noticed all components moving much faster than with the old. My wallet is half-a-thousand lighter and I love saving labor charges.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a couple of pictures that show the difference between OEM motor and the motor (with same p/n) available online.
Also shown in the 2nd picture is the adapter used, between armature slotted shaft which then mate's with the pump.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #23

I still need to go out and look at mine to get a comparison. Im actually having the opposite problem (motor doesn't turn off). However, looking at the photo, I'd probably buy that other motor, once installed check the clearance, and if it doesn't seat all the way just make an adapter/shim. Then all the original equipment could stay as is and I'd have an easy way to replace the motor that was close to original, but im weird like that :P
Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Devonjh,
I'm not sure what HWH series you have but if it's the 200-210 series you should take a hard look at the grounding plate under the joystick. HWH directed me to this area when my motor would not shutoff. I was to look for debris and such, under the joystick. Any incidental contact between the stick and plate will result in the pump motor running. I used an air hose to blow out the joystick area and it worked.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #25

LT46 -- which motor (left or right) is the original and which is the "on-line" purchase? Is the adapter an HWH part used with the original motor? If so, could an adapter be made that would compensate for the difference in shaft lengths or (assuming the longer shaft is the "on-line"), could the shaft be cut and machined to a shorter length? When I took my motor off that slotted shaft adapter apparently stayed with the motor. THanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Roadking,
The motor on the left is the original. With the adapter in place, the shaft length ended up as long as the new motor's shaft. No way the new motor w/adapter would bolt up to the pump, shaft too long. Never gave modifying the new motor a thought. HWH denied the adapter being part of there supply chain and suggested it being a Winnie adaptation. I'll tell you, this was an exercise in frustration! But, in the end, all is well and now using up-to-date components.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #27

So I ordered a new pump today.... As I stated in previous posts, last August (2010) the brush holder was damaged and at that time the replacement pump cost was $183. I cleaned the pump and it has worked...but slowly it is getting weaker and now it sounds like it is about to fail.... so.... ...I need to replace it. I called HWH and ordered one. The cost was $257. The HWH sales rep said last week it was $223, but a 15% increase was applied this week. I couldn't get last weeks price..... Wow.... I wish my pension, or IRA's went up 15%!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #28

hwh pump leaking fluid

have a 09 tiffin.. oil is dripping from the hwh pump assy..i checked the lines and no leaks when operating the slides.. the oil drips while mh is parked...cannot see where it is coming from except it is in front of the motor..any ideas? also what type of fluid does it take?

peter d