Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #1

HWH jack problem

When I put the jacks down; they don't all come up when I try to retract. The only way to get them all to retract is to turn the T handles and put a little pressure on the bottom of the ones that don't go up; they then slowly retract. This is my fourth motorhome; first one with jacks; I bought it used; so I expect some problems; now I'm lost.
Any ideas?
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob, here is a link to HWH WEB SITE that has your system.
Also there are some discussions on problems in link to QUICK TIPS below that may be of interest to you.
One thing to do first with jacks all up check the fluid level in resevoir, the vent will unscrew to do this and has a dip stick on it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My brother had that problem and sprayed the shafts with some kind of lubricant. It worked like a charm.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #4

Robert-

Sorry about the problem. I know how frustrating it can be. The previous post was right on. Spray with silicone then wipe off, then spray again.

If this doesn't help, give HWH a call. They are GREAT to help with problems. If they suggest replacement or some such big dollar repairs, then do some fancy searches. I remember a line a few years ago about a MH owner who took his to a hydraulic shop and had some o-rings replaced rather than replacing the cylinders.

Good luck and blessings!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi robert h,
I agree with the previous posts. The spray I use can be purchased at Lowes. It is
GUNK
Liquid Wrench
Multi-Use
Lubricating Oil

It is in a white and blue can, next to the hand/power tool section. I've been using it for a few years. Just spray it on the jack cylinders. Do not wipe it. Spray and retract. Depending on..... you may need to run the jacks through a up/down cycle a few times.

I spray the jack cylinders anytime one jack is not completely restored by the time I finish my final walk around the coach before leaving. Always spray all the jack cylinders. If you only spray the slow cylinder, within a month you'll be spraying all the rest.

If spraying does not work, look at your jack retract springs. Is the coil straight all the way to the end hook? Does the coil tape slightly into the end hook about 5 turns from the end of the spring. The tapered coils are the newer design.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I purchased this spray @ Wally World Jigaloo based on info received from an older thread on this forum.http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/for...rch&reqWords=jigaloo
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Robert:

If the jacks will not retract it sounds like the shuttle valve is sticking. The shuttle valve is located in the manifold. If you loosen the nut on the shuttle valve that will release the jacks and they will retract. The shuttle valve is also fairly easy to replace. Call HWH as was suggested to confirm the problem and repair.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:18 AM   #8

robert, the HWH jack system relies on coil springs to retract the jack pistons. The springs get "tired". HWH is a good service company; give them a call and consider replacing the springs yourself. It's not that hard.
If your rear jacks are the last to come up, that's perfectly normal. But after 3 or 4 minutes, you still need to apply leverage to push them back up, that's not normal.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
paz

As you can see from the number of responses, there are numerous reasons HWH jacks will not retract. There have been several threads on iRV2 about the problem. Try using the "Find" button at the top of the page, uncheck the box that says "search this forum only" and type in "HWH jacks," "hydraulic jacks" or similar subjects and several threads should show up.

If the jacks are slow to retract, lubricating the shafts may help. On one of the most recent threads about HWH jacks, one member posted an email from HWH that says they now are recommending only WD-40 as a lubricant. They said they used to recommend silicone, but some problems have apparently been traced to the use of silicone, so they now recommend only WD-40. Wipe off whatever lubricant you use thoroughly.

As a word of caution, if your fluid level is low DO NOT use hydraulic jack oil. Use only HWH hydraulic oil of Dexron III transmission fluid.

As another word of caution, the solenoids can overheat and burn out if the jacks are left on in the retract position without all the jacks being retracted. The system times out and shuts off when all the jacks are fully retracted, so there's only a problem when one or more of the jacks are not retracted.

If the problem with your jacks persists, call HWH. They are very good at walking you through troubleshooting steps to diagnose the problem. Make sure you know where the pump and control module are located before you call. They will likely want to know which lights on the module are on when various buttons on the control panel are pushed. As I said, there are many possible reasons your jacks aren't working properly (tired springs, bent shafts, bad valves, dirt in the system, low fluid, etc.) and there is no sense needlessly throwing parts at the problem.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I had one rear jack that was failing to fully retract. This occurred most often when the temperature was below 50 degrees. If I applied pressure on the jack (meaning if I was under the mh and pushing up with my hands) I could get it to retract. However this became more difficult over time. Not to mention I hated sliding under the side of the motorhome.

So I went to Walmart and got a small scissor jack to do the work for me. The next time the jack failed to retract I used the jack and easily lifted the jack to full retraction.

Now for the strange part. Ever since I used the scissor jack on the rear hydraulic jack, I have not had the retraction problem. But I will always keep the small jack around just in case.

Please note that this may not be a recommended method but it worked for me. By the way, you should have the system turned on and in the store mode if you decide to try this.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 AM   #11

Question:

My HWH is the 310 system;
When you want to store the jacks; do you hold the store button down, or do you just press it and let up.
I've read the directions and it just says to press the store button; doesn't say to hold it down.
Dumb question: but I really don't know.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Just press the button than let go.
My answer to the jack problem is a 7 foot 2X3 that I carry. Stick it under the jack and with very little pressure [I use 1 finger] lift. The 2x3 does a great job, then at the next stop clean all 4 jacks and this is good for a couple of months until the dust and dirt built up again.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I suggest downloading the HWH manuals for your jack system.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/techinfo3.html

The manuals make what appears as a very complicated system much easier to understand and diagnose a problem.

And HWH is very good at sending out parts directly to an owner.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Just press the button than let go.
My answer to the jack problem is a 7 foot 2X3 that I carry. Stick it under the jack and with very little pressure [I use 1 finger] lift. The 2x3 does a great job, then at the next stop clean all 4 jacks and this is good for a couple of months until the dust and dirt built up again.