Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HWH jacks keep blowing a fuse

The other day when I brought the jacks up the left rear stopped about 1/4 inch from the top and wouldn't budge. I found the 15 amp fuse that controls that jack had blown. New fuse blew right away too. I tried swapping the wires from the LR solenoid to LF solenoid and blew the LF fuse. So the problem seems to be with the LR jack. Any ideas?
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
It is probably the solenoid is starting to short out. Contact HWH for trouble shooting guidance.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
paz

RV Wizard is most likely right. It's probably a burned out solenoid.

The same exact same thing happened to me, except my jack was all the way up and it wouldn't go down. Called HWH, and they had me crawl under the coach and watch the lights on the control board and they had DW push certain buttons on the panel inside. They could tell by which lights were off and which were on that it was a bad solenoid.

You don't say what year your coach is, but I believe the HWH warranty is 2 years parts and labor, and parts only for the third year.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
RV Wizard is most likely right. It's probably a burned out solenoid.
That's what I was kind of thinking it might be. Past warranty so I'll probably try and find one at a dealer somewhere. I had one replaced under warranty a few years ago so it must be a common issue. Are they very hard to replace? Looks like a bolt head in the top of the manifold might be what holds it in.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #5

I have a 1999 and I can.t get the jack down I check the fuse and they are good this is rollinghome thank you .
rollinghome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary N. View Post
That's what I was kind of thinking it might be. Past warranty so I'll probably try and find one at a dealer somewhere. I had one replaced under warranty a few years ago so it must be a common issue. Are they very hard to replace? Looks like a bolt head in the top of the manifold might be what holds it in.
I think part of the problem with burned out solenoids is leaving them on too long - the solenoids overheat. This happens when the jacks take too long to retract. At least that's what happened to me.

I didn't replace the solenoid myself - my system was still under warranty - but I don't think it's too hard. If you check the HWH web site, there are manuals available under the blue bar that says "Customer Support & Technical Service." I read the instructions for replacing solenoids for my system back when I had one burned out, and I seem to remember a caution in the about the tip of the valve that can get stuck in the bore. I think the tech who replaced mine had that problem. He had to play around to try to get hold of it to get it out.

If you replace the solenoid yourself and loose hydraulic fluid and need to top off the reservoir, be sure to use HWH hydraulic fluid of Dexron transmission fluid. DO NOT use hydraulic jack oil. Hydraulic jack oil may damage the seals and hoses in the system.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
HWH solenoids are threaded into the manifold; do not remove bolts. Disconnect wiring and rotate body of solenoid counter clockwise to un-thread. Be careful of any residual pressure but usually there isn't any. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote