Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #1

HWH Jacks - One Stuck Down - Questions??

Hi All,

Thank you in advance for your help!

We have a 1999 Rexhall Class A with the HWH Hydraulic Jacks system with a joystick controller. Hopefully, that's enough information to get the answers I need as I won't be around until tomorrow to provide more info, if necessary.

The front passenger side Jack has been a pain ever since we bought it and I will be working on it tomorrow. It went up the day we bought it once the mechanic released pressure through the T screw and using a crowbar to put it up.. I tried to do that a couple weeks ago when we were supposed to leave the campground and it wouldn't go up. We got two more weeks to figure it out and here were are needing to get this handled.

I will be trying to use WD-40 on the jack tomorrow as the first hopeful trick to try. If that doesn't work, again, I will try to relieve the pressure with the T screw. If that doesn't work, I am out of ideas outside of taking the jack off.

First question, does anybody have any pointers, tricks or tips for taking one of these jacks off?

Second questions, if I have to remove the jack, can I use the other three or will that cause issues?

Final question, is there anything else I should try before I go to the process of removing the jack?

Again, thank you for all your help. I did work on our past RV including changing a fuel filter, a starter and some other work, but I am by no means a mechanic. Just a DIYer (due to budget constraints) and fairly handy.

Benjamin Ehinger
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had a similar problem with ours. We don't have the joy stick, but ours has a "Store" button.

So what I did was hit the store button and three would retract, but one would not. Unit will not air up until all are up, so I carry a long handled square bladed shovel. I can get that under the jack and pry up. It takes a lot of force BTW. Then when about half way up I reverse the shovel and force it up the rest of the way.

Over the years I have rebuilt three of the four jacks. I also had the springs replaced. You can remove the jack and cap off the line which should let you use the other jacks. I took our jacks one at a time to a regular hydraulic shop and had them rebuilt.

Hope this helps.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
When the jack is down, just before you attempt to retract it, wipe the shaft with a rag that is dipped in hydraulic fluid (ATF fluid)

I do this anytime my jacks have been down for more than a day or two and/or its dusty outside. The goal is to clean the dirt off of the shaft and also to apply a very, very thin layer of lubricant on the shaft..

If the shaft is dirty and dry, when it starts to retract the rubber o-rings tend to act like brakes as the dirty dry shaft rubs against them. Cleaning and lubricating the shaft eliminates this problem.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I've had a similar problem with ours. We don't have the joy stick, but ours has a "Store" button.

So what I did was hit the store button and three would retract, but one would not. Unit will not air up until all are up, so I carry a long handled square bladed shovel. I can get that under the jack and pry up. It takes a lot of force BTW. Then when about half way up I reverse the shovel and force it up the rest of the way.

Over the years I have rebuilt three of the four jacks. I also had the springs replaced. You can remove the jack and cap off the line which should let you use the other jacks. I took our jacks one at a time to a regular hydraulic shop and had them rebuilt.

Hope this helps.
This is very helpful thank you. What do you use to cap off the line?
Old 07-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
A standard AN4 or AN6 plug will work to cap the lines. Any place that sells or services hydraulic stuff will have them..

I've repaired my pump and jacks. Even the ones they say are obsolete and not repairable.. I also have a lot of the Power Gear documents on my web site. Look under the DOWNLOADS menu.

Pump Motor Repair:

Leveler pump sounds like a food blender full of marbles – 1999 Southwind 35S

Hyd Jack disassembly:

Power Gear 500384 hydraulic jack teardown – 1999 Southwind 35S

Hyd jack repair:

Power Gear 500384 hydraulic jack re-assembly – 1999 Southwind 35S

Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by behing19 View Post
I don't remember as it's been a while,but I think it was just a normal pipe cap threaded to fit. Probably can get one at a hydraulic shop or even maybe a hardware store.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
A standard AN4 or AN6 plug will work to cap the lines. Any place that sells or services hydraulic stuff will have them....
Wow! There you go. Some good info there.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If there isn't a hydraulic shop nearby a good farm supply store usually carries a lot of hydraulic parts. Farmers use a lot of them.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
When the jack is down, just before you attempt to retract it, wipe the shaft with a rag that is dipped in hydraulic fluid (ATF fluid)

I do this anytime my jacks have been down for more than a day or two and/or its dusty outside. The goal is to clean the dirt off of the shaft and also to apply a very, very thin layer of lubricant on the shaft..

If the shaft is dirty and dry, when it starts to retract the rubber o-rings tend to act like brakes as the dirty dry shaft rubs against them. Cleaning and lubricating the shaft eliminates this problem.
Thank you. I will try this!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think in the civilian world, they are referred to as JIC, not AN.. (It defines the angle of the sealing surface) The AN4 and AN6 are two different sizes.. I think the older ones use the AN6 and newer ones use AN4.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
See if you can get your hands on a 3 ton or bigger floor jack get it under your jack pad, did a hole if necessary and if not jack the MH up enough to get the floor jack under your jack pad. Have some one ready to pump the floor jack and at the same time go thorough you store system. If that does not work then I feel you are at the mercy of removing the jack. Good Luck, Richard
Old 07-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #12

Is this the type of cap I need?

https://www.amazon.com/AdlerSpeed-AN...words=an6+plug
Old 07-22-2018, 05:10 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Is this the type of cap I need?
No.. The one you want looks like this: These are a flare fitting, JIC 37 degree,
The AN4 (1/4" tube) will have a 7/16 thread.
The AN6 (3/8" tube) will have 9/16 thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AN_Fitting.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	211898  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 AM   #14

Have you tried taking the hyd. line off the jack to see if you can get it up? That will get the jack up if the problem isn't in the cylinder. If it still doesn't come up the shovel trick will work.
I started off with one bad one and am up to 3 now that don't like coming up. So until I get the cylinders rebuilt I use pads under the jacks and when it's time to get them up I just pull the pads out and slide my small floor jack under the jacks.

Tags
hwh, jacks