Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Have you tried taking the hyd. line off the jack to see if you can get it up?
Graig, Good idea.... If the jack comes up after disconnecting the hyd line, that says the problem is in the controller..

If the jack still refuses to come up, and the shaft is clean and lubed. Thats a good sign something in the cylinder is binding.. On one of mine, an internal guide broke. I lucked out and caught this early before the broken parts were able to work their way down inside the cylinder and cause it to jam..

Power Gear 500384 hydraulic jack teardown – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
Have you tried taking the hyd. line off the jack to see if you can get it up? That will get the jack up if the problem isn't in the cylinder. If it still doesn't come up the shovel trick will work.
I started off with one bad one and am up to 3 now that don't like coming up. So until I get the cylinders rebuilt I use pads under the jacks and when it's time to get them up I just pull the pads out and slide my small floor jack under the jacks.
Thank you for the advice. I will be adding this to my list of things to try before I have to remove the entire thing.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #17

I was able to get the jack up and down 5 times yesterday after spraying up into the jack with penetrating WD-40. I picked up the more expensive WD-40 that's supposed to be better at getting rid of rust, so maybe it was just rusted up in there a bit.

We bought it from an older couple and it had been sitting for almost a year.

Thank you everybody for all the advice. I will be saving all of these tips for the future as I am sure this won't be the last issue we ever have with a jack.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #18

I've had the same problem many times. I carry a 5' 2x4 and pry it up. Must be in store mode.
sdrtile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #19
Commercial Member

hwh uses parker fitting. they are available on line at either a parker store, or grainger.
the jack needs to be rebuilt. some, but not many local shops can do the rebuild. hwh does not sell the seals as a repair part. some power gear cylinders uses a common
o ring that can be found at a local hardware store.

wd40 will help in a lot of cases, by doing the soak three or four times. especially if silicone has been used before.
if you want it rebuilt, send an email to hwh. service@hwh.com
include name, address, phone number, vin, make and model of coach, chassis vin, and a description of what you need. request a RGA number. to return your part for reman this is for your parts warranty.

the only price they can quote is for a replacement part, since they dont know what is wrong with yours. if it can be repaired, its way cheaper than a reman cylinder.
those who have had this done can tell you that. the repaired part carries a one year warranty.
paul maddox
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks