Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #1

HWH Jacks---Problem Resolved

I have a DP coach and forever have had problems with the jacks retracting.

I bought new springs, this helped some, but I still had to go out and pry them up.

My RV tech said to spray them with WD-40. This helped some, but I still had to pry them up with my flat point shovel. My DW got very frustrated with this.

Let me point out that we normally volunteer in state and federal parks and tend to stay in a single place for 1-2-3 or 4 months.

I had downloaded everything I could find. All of the forum results I could search out.

Then one day I was re-reading a "Helpful Suggestions" PDF that I had down-loaded off of HWH's web site. It suggested that we spray the jacks with a hose periodically, as well as spraying them with WD-40.

WA-LA! This was the key, for me anyway. Now before I prepare to punch "Store" I go out and wash off the jacks the jack with a water spray, then punch the "Store" button. They will go right up!

I have used this procedure the past three times, and it works great!

Try it! You will like it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MikeandClaudia,
Thanks for the tip. Do you use cold water or hot water? My thought would be cold water would work best.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #3

I just use a hose-end sprayer coming from the regular hose-bib. My theory is that it just washes away the grit, sand and dust that accumulates on the cylinders.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
My jacks were a retraction problem for 3 to 4 years. Tried all the fixes short of spring or cylinder replacement. WD-40 worked if I treated the jacks every couple of uses, but that was an irritation having to do it so often. So prior to replacing jacks, I decided to spray the jacks with some Trans-syn transmission fluid that I had on hand.

Wow! That worked great! I've only treated the jacks 3 times during the past year. Twice on our 5 month trip this summer and fall. One of those times they did not really need it- I just needed something to do.

Now the jacks store in a very reasonable time. No long waits for the sytem to store and shut down.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Mike,
Do you have the link to the "helpful suggestions PDF"?

Thanks,
Mark
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #6

I had the same problem. Mostly with 1 jack. Tried the WD thing and it worked for afew times. Then I had a brain fart. I put my jacks all the way down and coated them with Lucus motor honey, you know that real sticky stuff you can't get off your hands after you use it. Run the jacks back-up and WOW!!!!! Most of the product was wiped off but enough got past the wipe seal to lubricate it and they have work perfectly since.
Ron
Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
My jacks were a retraction problem for 3 to 4 years. Tried all the fixes short of spring or cylinder replacement. WD-40 worked if I treated the jacks every couple of uses, but that was an irritation having to do it so often. So prior to replacing jacks, I decided to spray the jacks with some Trans-syn transmission fluid that I had on hand.

Wow! That worked great! I've only treated the jacks 3 times during the past year. Twice on our 5 month trip this summer and fall. One of those times they did not really need it- I just needed something to do.

Now the jacks store in a very reasonable time. No long waits for the sytem to store and shut down.

Just my 2 cents worth.

My '02 Suncruiser is 10 YO this month. I have 85,000 miles on it and have been in over 300 campgrounds. I have never put anything on the jacks (as is the recommendation from HWH) and they have always worked perfectly.

YMMV

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
hamguy,

I wished mine were trouble free such as yours. We have 61k miles on this one and had 23k miles on our previous mh (2003). The system on the '03 was trouble free. Not so with the '05. When it was 2 years old the shuttle valve went. Sometime after that the left rear jack would not fully retract. A few months later the right rear jack would not fully retract either. First I used a bar to apply some upward assistance to attain fully retraction. Then the front left jack started to not retract. At that point I called a local HWH tech who inspected the system and declared that the only cure was new cylinders. At several hundred dollars per cylinder plus labor. Hmmmm....

I called HWH. They gave me a couple of suggestions. I tried them with little effect. So they said I probably needed new cylinders. Hmmm...

Decided to do the wd40 thing. Worked but I had to get down on the ground to wipe off the rams and reapply the wd40 every other retraction. I stuck with that for a year and then it got real old.

So, since I was on the verge of buying new cylinders (or at least new springs), I decided I had nothing to loose by trying transmission fluid on the rams. Bingo- has been working like a charm for almost a year. Will continue to do so as long as it works.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have a similar problem with one jack and have learned that I can soak a paper towel in Transmission fluid and wrap it around the ram while I am storing the MH for longer periods of time. When it is time to move, I remove the paper towel along with any grit or dirt that may have splashed or blown onto the ram. The jacks all work well if I do this.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'll keep the water method in mind. To those who use other methods are you worried about dirt adhereing to the shafts from the oil you put on them and then the dirt scoring the seals when the jacks retract?
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If I've been sitting awhile, I wipe off the rams prior to treatment or retraction. I use a white paper towel and have been inspecting it after wiping and have not really found much dirt. I think the vast majority of the trans fluid is wiped off during retraction leaving only a thin film coating.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Am I the only one with Zerk fittings on my jacks and grease them 2 times a year?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Many years ago (too long to mention) while attending aircraft maintenance school, I learned to clean the polished surface of retraction mechanisms with the medium in which it operated. I periodically wipe the jack polished cylinders with trans fluid - which is used in the HWH hydraulic system.

My first experience with HWH jacks began in 1979, and I have never had a problem with slow or non-retracting jacks.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
'04 Meridian
'03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake Sys

Tags
hwh