Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there an "average" amount that HWH jacks retract when in use? Mine have the manual 325 series panel.

If I'm on a fairly level surface (concrete so I know they arent sinking) and I use them just to level the coach up with a minimal amount of lift, they will retract probably 1/2" to 1" in a 24 hour period. Is that normal? I don't see any leaks.

Also, are the jacks self-load limiting. In other words, can you exceed their load limits (not their physical extension limits) if you for instance lifted a wheel off the ground.

Thanks

deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there an "average" amount that HWH jacks retract when in use? Mine have the manual 325 series panel.

If I'm on a fairly level surface (concrete so I know they arent sinking) and I use them just to level the coach up with a minimal amount of lift, they will retract probably 1/2" to 1" in a 24 hour period. Is that normal? I don't see any leaks.

Also, are the jacks self-load limiting. In other words, can you exceed their load limits (not their physical extension limits) if you for instance lifted a wheel off the ground.

Thanks

Old 11-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My HWH jacks are automated. I have never heard any "average" amount that they will self-retract/settle while under pressure. Mine will sometimes settle a bit after a few days and we just hit the "level" button to tighten them up ...much more likely to happen on soft surfaces than solid.

My jacks will lift a wheel off the ground and keep it there for days ...that obviously is within their load capacity. Though we aren't crazy about that, it sometimes is necessary to get the coach level. However, we DO NOT allow it to lift rear wheels off the ground as with a diesel coach, your parking brake is tied to the drive wheels only and if you lift the rear wheels it is possible the coach could go one direction or the other.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #4

Perhaps I don't follow what your are asking but I have had HWH jacks for over 19 years on two different RV and they have no retraction or sinking when loaded.

I was just at my son's for three weeks on a slopped driveway where I had the front jacks to max and front end wheels well off ground and the rig did not move at all. I weigh 27000 pounds. I have done this in his place several times!

Maybe someone can tell us but believe mine are 9000 pound jacks so they are more than adequate. On my old Fleetwood I had smaller jacks on front than back but never had a problem.

I store for weeks or even months and with jacks full up and haven ever detected any sinking?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deputydog:

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
deputydog, to answer your question, No, you have a problem with the system. Is your system with the "Joy Stick" or push button controller? If it is push button, check to be sure all the "T" handles on the solenoids are closed (turned in clockwise from handle side) located on the pump manifold. If you have the joy stick, you may have a bad valve and that is another animal all together.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks RV Wizard. I'll check the "T" handles out. I have the push button control panel. That's kinda what is acts like. Like if you use a hand hydraulic jack and you don't tighten the valve good and it just slowly comes down (or up in the case of the RV jacks

Thanks again
Old 11-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #7

deputydog,

I have read somewhere recently, and have experienced it myself on occassion, that when you pull into a site and set up, deploying your jacks, you may need to "bump" them the next day. The reason given was that the fluid is hot just after deployment. When the fluid cools it can condense a slight bit, which would cause you to "bump" the jacks up slightly to the original height. I have noted this on my rig from time to time. It seems that the higher I need to deploy the jacks on a particular side, the more the readjustment will be.

Do check your "T" handles to insure that they are snug, but don't worry about a minor adjustment.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:22 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If you call HWH they will want you to set your jacks, and then mark them and see the difference. It sounds from your post that all of them creep? If it is one or two, there is a chance your solenoids are going bad, or the o-rings on them(I would replace the o-rings if damaged first, cheaper) if not it could be a solenoid, and they sell re-manufactured ones.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote