Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

HWH leaking oil

09 tiffin ...oil is dripping from the HWH pump assy...i have checked the lines when operating the slides and no leaks.. the oil drips while the Mh is parked..I cannot pin point where it is leaking but it appears to be in front of the motor? pump? is there an "O" ring between the pump and the tank?also what type of oil does it take? HWH tech line?

peter d

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
It never ceases to amaze me how people ask THE most basic of all questions like, "what type of oil does it take" without consulting their manual (which states CLEARLY what type of oil to use).

We'll just go in our motorhomes, dig out OUR manuals, come back here and give you your answer.

Shees.

(Sorry for the vent. It's just a pet peeve of mine....)

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how people ask THE most basic of all questions like, "what type of oil does it take" without consulting their manual (which states CLEARLY what type of oil to use).

We'll just go in our motorhomes, dig out OUR manuals, come back here and give you your answer.

Shees.

(Sorry for the vent. It's just a pet peeve of mine....)

WOW!...I had that comimg..funny thing is i feel the same way as you do.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainee View Post
09 tiffin ...oil is dripping from the HWH pump assy...i have checked the lines when operating the slides and no leaks.. the oil drips while the Mh is parked..I cannot pin point where it is leaking but it appears to be in front of the motor? pump? is there an "O" ring between the pump and the tank?also what type of oil does it take? HWH tech line?

peter d
i thought i answered this earlier today... i will try again.
my hwh system uses atf type a red fluid.
my slide solenoids have leaked. i have one dripping now.
my motor and pump have never leaked.
hwh tech line: 800.321.3494, fax: 563.724.3408
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i thought i answered this earlier today... i will try again.
my hwh system uses atf type a red fluid.
my slide solenoids have leaked. i have one dripping now.
my motor and pump have never leaked.
hwh tech line: 800.321.3494, fax: 563.724.3408

hi dan,
yup..it looks like it is coming from the solenoids..i just washed it off with brake clean and after 10 minutes both soleneds show seepage..
btw the oil thats dripping is light yellow not red?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
elainee, HWH uses a clear/light yellow colored hydraulic fluid at the factory. Don't let the color throw you. A bad "O" ring seal on one of the solenoids may be the source of your leak.

ATF is an approved fluid and will mix with the factory fill without creating any problems.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe not ANY ATF fluid is appropriate gents.
I had an interesting conversation with a designated HWH mechanic as he was chewing me out for not insuring I was using the correct fluid. He said the “HWH” fluid was nicknamed the “Dolly Parton” fluid. Seems that her bus had a significant leak that allowed the original red fluid to stain some of her furniture and clothes. She was very upset with HWH. HWH’s reaction to avoid this embarrassment in the future was to obtain hydraulic transmission fluid without the red dye in it and sell it under their name. My manual says only Dexron may be substituted for HWH fluid BTW. The HWH mechanic told me horror stories about what happens to the seals in a HWH system when non authorized fluids are used.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
Maybe not ANY ATF fluid is appropriate gents.
I had an interesting conversation with a designated HWH mechanic as he was chewing me out for not insuring I was using the correct fluid. He said the “HWH” fluid was nicknamed the “Dolly Parton” fluid. Seems that her bus had a significant leak that allowed the original red fluid to stain some of her furniture and clothes. She was very upset with HWH. HWH’s reaction to avoid this embarrassment in the future was to obtain hydraulic transmission fluid without the red dye in it and sell it under their name. My manual says only Dexron may be substituted for HWH fluid BTW. The HWH mechanic told me horror stories about what happens to the seals in a HWH system when non authorized fluids are used.
sure glad i read your letter..going to copy it so when i take the mh to North Trails rv in Ft Myers to get it repaired the service tech will know the importance of using the right fluid..
my Tiffin is an 09. took delivery on April 09.. 29 months ...When i told the service writer about the HWH oil leak he said it was not covered (one year) under warranty...He told me to call Tiffin at Red Bay and maybe they can help..he gave me the extension number.
I left the nessage on their tape recorder about the oil leak..about 45 minutes later i get a phone call from the "main Man" Bob Tiffin..He said to take the mh back to North Trails and get it fixed and Tiffin will pick up the tab ...WOW!
i have read articles about how Tiffin takes care of their customers and now i can add to it...i have been to their plant in Reb Bay,
Al. ..first class operation..stayed at their Allegro Park for 6 days (free) plant tour and seminars..wonderful experience
will my next mh be a Tiffin?

peter d

Tags
hwh