Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
HWH Leveling jacks. Should fluid be changed?

I periodically change the transmission fluid as recommended. I have had the brake fluid changed. Never thought about the HWH fluid. I think it is a transmission/hydraulic fluid. If so is it not subject to water absorption like other hydraulic fluids?? I don't recall seeing a drain plug, and bleed points on the hoses or levelers. Could be a difficult job to flush and replace. Any experience or recommendations on this subject?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #2

A great question, nothing specific in my owners manual about a change, and as you say a system flush would be a bear. System on my 99 says ATF, so color could be best indicator. I imagine that because of the limited use and exposure to heat the fluid would not really break down, but contaminants could be an issue , because the tank is vented.
Guess you just put an item on my ,to be checked list.
I'm off to the HWH, web page.
Web page under FAQ, says only if contaminated.
If there is any water in the system it will be milky after use, so if you level then retract, check the fluid for anything but clear. From what I read online newer systems use a hydraulic fluid .
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
HWH jacks for everyone
HWH has their own clear fluid but most systems I have seen have the ATF red fluid.
I have never drain the system there are plugs at base of cylinders but your going to possible place air pockets in system when refilling..
I see nothing in this Manual requiring a complete fluid change just keep fluid to correct level between lines on bell vent shaft, with all jacks retracted and making sure all grounds are good for solenoids and motor mountings.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've just had all 4 of my jack cylinders rebuilt at a local hydraulic cylinder shop. The tech said they were pretty mucky inside and that he spent quite a long time cleaning out the junk. When I got the cylinders back on I pumped out what fluid I could get with a siphon pump and replaced the fluid with dexron III. The fluid that came out was neither red not clear, but slightly red/brown. Since I am not the original owner, I have no idea what has gone on before I owned the coach. The HWH system on my coach is not a sealed system, so it would be possible to get contaminants into the fluid. Also since it is not sealed, air in the system is not a problem. By the way the jacks are working flawlessly.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote