Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #1

HWH Leveling Motors (2 burnt up in 1 year)

I have gone through 2 pump motors in the last year. We have a 97 Adventurer, the first motor quit working a year ago. At first I thought nothing of it, thinking it was most likely the original motor and time for it to die I went out and purchased a new one. While researching which place to get a motor I saw several posts about bad grounding. When I ordered a new motor this one had a separate grounding post so I attached it straight to the frame with a grounding strap. Back in business, well at least for a year.

This past weekend we went down to FL and upon arrival I went to level and extend the jacks and within 20 seconds of the motor coming on it just quit working. My kid promptly yelled that there was some smoke coming from the back of the unit. I go down there to check and I smell that wonderful smell of burning plastic insulation. I crawl under the unit and something caused this unit to get so hot that it melted the positive terminal right off the pump.

I called around looking for a replacement in FL no one had it but I was told of a place that could rebuild it. Went there and he said it got so hot that it wasn't worth rebuilding.

SO my question is what would cause this to get so hot?

I've ordered a new motor as the other was just out of warranty, but don't want to install it until I can figure out what might be causing this. I've called HWH and currently waiting for a call back, but figured I'd check with the pro's here.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #2

Are you operating that pump off batteries or while powered up? I thought I read somewhere that operating the HWH pump on low voltage can ruin it. I try to keep my engine running or plug in while using mine.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #3

Not sure of all the variables that might be in play with your failures, but if that were mine it would be getting a circuit breaker installed on it.

Whatever is there now, if anything, is not serving your interests well at all.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #4

Heat is result of watts.

Watts is current flow and amps.

It also is result of resistance...The place with the highest resistance in a series circuit generates the most heat.

So...

Where the heat is being generated the resistance is higher than others.

May be poor connection or maybe brush holder.

A good motor person could evaluate your old motor and guess.

You also should measure current draw of new motor to determine if it is likely to repeat.

A low voltage will certainly increase heat so check voltage at battery and motor to confirm minimal drop across wire.

Too small of wire for a given length can cause low voltage which causes current to rise which causes heat rise too.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

I'm thinking its the voltage. TQ, I called the place that I took the motor to and asked what would cause a motor to burn up like that and he did say it sounded like it could be low voltage. Both times it fried the motor was not running. I don't think I've ever left the motor running because of the jacks down alarm but it looks like I'm going to have to start doing it that way.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #6

???
Left motor running?

Motor should only run if and when something needs to move.

You push button to lift then motor runs and valve operates.

Lift finger from button motor stops.

Motor is designed for intermittent duty cycle meaning small percentage run time large percentage stand by.

Focus on exactly what the controller is doing as me thinks motor is running too much and controller may be issue.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
???
Left motor running?

Motor should only run if and when something needs to move.

You push button to lift then motor runs and valve operates.

Lift finger from button motor stops.

Motor is designed for intermittent duty cycle meaning small percentage run time large percentage stand by.

Focus on exactly what the controller is doing as me thinks motor is running too much and controller may be issue.
In this case motor is the engine so that the alternator is providing more voltage or amps.

Another thing to look at is the location of the pump motor from the battery and the size of the wire. If it is at the other end of an rv from the battery the wire might be too light causing more resistance at the connection to the motor.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #8

That was BC...

Before coffee...
Old 11-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
Commercial Member

most of the motors i replace are burned out by stuck relays. the second cause is low voltage, or bad ground, equal offenders.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #10

May not be a bad idea to get a panel mount indicator light of some sort but 12 volt operated and mount it near the leveler control panel and wire the light to the power connections of the motor so one would know for sure if the pump is running so they can confirm if running when it was not supposed to.

One also could wire so a voltmeter could be used on same wires to measure motor voltage while running.

Or get one of the 2 wire digital panel meters from eBay for 2 bucks to do both.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #11

HWH advises to have the engine running when operating the system, as it is very sensitive to low voltage.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, leveling