Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #1

HWH Leveling System Problem

I have the 325 series leveling system on my 2004 Allegro. The alarm for the right rear leveler sounds when I am driving. Looking at the leveler, you cannot tell that it is not all the way up. My dealer cleaned all 4 levelers and treated with silicone. My first trip after they were cleaned (700 miles) the alarm came on 4 times. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do now? Also, I have seen some people recommend WD-40 instead of silicone. Which is the correct product?
Paula
2004 Allegro
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem

Sounds like your jack is sliping and setting alarm off which it should. Have you stoped and looked at the jack and had someone hit the raise button while you see if the jack raises. I don't think type of lub would cause the problem. I have a Four Wind Windsport and the mfg. said WD-40 is what should be used. Locksmith said WD-40 only think I should use on all my locks also.
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
I have the 325 series leveling system on my 2004 Allegro. The alarm for the right rear leveler sounds when I am driving. Looking at the leveler, you cannot tell that it is not all the way up. My dealer cleaned all 4 levelers and treated with silicone. My first trip after they were cleaned (700 miles) the alarm came on 4 times. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do now? Also, I have seen some people recommend WD-40 instead of silicone. Which is the correct product?
Paula
2004 Allegro
get a pair of new retract springs from hwh @ 800-321-3494. ask for frank. hwh will probably put you on a call list but frank will call you back.
the new springs are stronger than the old ones and work much better.
i replaced the springs on both of my rear jacks.
for more info on how i accomplished the spring replacement with pictures, check the archives of this forum or email me.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was recently in Mosco, IA and spent an overnight at the HWH facility. New springs improved the troublesome jack. One thing they advised me while there, and it's not in the manual, is for the Allegro, is to be sure to have full power going to the jacks while raising and lowering. Meaning have the engine running both ways. Somehow protects the selenoids from low voltage. Also, they said to be sure to make raising the jacks the last thing you do before pulling out. This allows the system to timeout after pushing the store button. (You are traveling with the store button on, correct?) Turning off the system, manually or with the engine key closes the hydrolics valves before they are done even though the alarm has stopped. In other words they maybe still going up that last fraction of an inch over a couple of minutes and that is all it needs to prevent the drop distance that sets the alarm off.
Hope that helps.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #5

Yes, I do travel with the Store button on, so that is not the problem. Guess a new set of springs is in my future. Thanks for all the replies.
Paula
2004 Allegro 35DA
Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
...My dealer cleaned all 4 levelers and treated with silicone... Also, I have seen some people recommend WD-40 instead of silicone. Which is the correct product?
Paula
2004 Allegro
A couple of years ago when we were having trouble getting our rear jacks to retract, the HWH tech I talked to on the phone recommended silicone. However, a few months ago, one of the members here on iRV2 posted an email from a tech at HWH which recommended WD-40.

I used to use silicone, but I have now switched to WD-40, which seems to be the latest recommendation. Both worked to get the jacks to go up faster. Whatever you use, allow it to dry thoroughly before retracting the jacks.

The HWH email said the main purpose of spraying something on the jacks is to clean rather than lubricate them. This sounds reasonable since WD-40 is mostly solvent. The cylinder is filled with hydraulic fluid, so lubrication really isn't necessary. The HWH email said spray the jack with WD-40, wipe clean, and allow to dry thoroughly before retracting the jacks. I usually clean the jacks every few weeks, and I try to remember to do it the day before we leave.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #7

Cleaning would definitely be worth a try before jumping into putting on new springs. Thanks.
Paula
2004 Allegro 35DA