Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

HWH system did not respond

Camping in my 06 Horizon at about 6000 ft, weather cool 30-40's. Pulled into camp, jacks down, went to send out the slides and nothing on any of the three slides. Hitting the out button a few times and the motor starts to run and all slides go out fine. Next morning get ready to go and same thing. Started motor to get some more current to the system and no response for a few minutes and again after hitting the button over and over, all at once all slides work again.

I don't think it was low voltage (I have no light on my control that I know about), we were hooked up to 50 amp service, inverter in standby mode, Battaries are good, showing 13.5 volts on panel.

I was thinking may be a ground problem, showing up with the cold weather.

I got an out of level message the first time I leveled had had to add some blocks on the front wheels and under the jacks for a second level. I'm thinking the hwh brain said not to send out the slides or in the morning not to send them back in?? Any suggustions?

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
While the jacks are up and the rooms retracted check the fluid level in the HWH reservoir. You may have developed an air gap in the system; this would be a condensible and cause a lag in response.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Most trouble I have had with HWH stuff was usualy GROUND related. An easy fix if you find the right connection!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
The HWH electrical system works by completing the ground circuit. Next time you have that situation and you are able to work at it, Have someone hold the switch while you, using a test probe, ground out the terminals on the two relays on the hydraulic pack. I went through that drill with the help of Randy at HWH Tech Services and found a bad main relay. The inside of the relay was corroded and a broken wire was making intermittent contact. As Ed mentioned, above, it may be as simple as a corroded terminal which is exposed to the elements. In that case, a good cleaning of the connections and spray protectorant may solve your problem.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #5

HWH Up date

I took another look under the front step, checked to oil level which was ok. I took off a couple of wire connections and cleaned them, they looked pretty good really, had some oil on them. I was looking for a ground wire running from the pump unit, but could not find one. I check the two bolts which hold to pump unit to the tray and found them oilly and loose, so I tighten them up. I'm thinking that the units is grounded to the frame by those bolts possibly?? It running ok for now and will keep an eye on it.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Bob and Bev, the pump motor assembly is ground trough mounting. Keep an eye on the oil leak situation. Find out where it is as it should be covered under the three year warranty. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #7

HWH slide update

Got the rig back in the barn and had a some new troubles on the way home. The slides still needed a few pushes of the button to start to work, on the last day the elect. slide locks stopped working. Have tried re-leveling, running slides in/out, no lock. Checked circuit brakers in front drivers side compartment, all looks ok. I'm going to open up the control panel on the dash and look for the ground wire and try to track down where it meet the frame?

We also had some engine work done a few weeks ago and the clock in the frieght liner info center needed to be reset which makes me think that the battaries were disconnected during the repair, so I think I will check the connections on the hot side as well.

It seemed to me that the locks were separate circuits from the slide switches, but since they are on the same mounting panel and only a few inches away from each other they may use the same ground wire.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Party Barge, I have an 07 Journey and was having some strange problems with the electonics of my HWH system a few months ago. First the slide lock wouldn't unlock then after that decided to work the leveling system pad would shut off in the middle of leveling the MH. I could not get it to come back on. Checked wiring, fluid, etc. Called HWH then Winnie.

Winnie service resolved it for me. There is a separate fuse/contol panel for the HWH system. On my Journey it is on the lower front passenger side. Look under coach from the front end. It is almost 8"x11" with fuses,lights and circuitry in it covered with clear plastic. One of the fuses is 7.5 amp and controls the inside panel. They thought maybe this fuse was bad. It was not but as soon as I replaced it from checking it everything began to work. It must have needed to be reset. BTW not too long before this the system stopped leveling with the out of level message.

The touch panel quit on me a second time so I replaced that fuse and have not had a problem since. If your panel isn't where mine is located I'm sure Winnebago could tell you where it is.

The plastic cover for the outside panel is held on with a rubber type gasket that is a bear to replace.

Not sure this is your problem but may be worthwhile checking. I know these kind of problems can be so frustrating.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you remove fuse and than replace it back in fuse slot the action will clean the spring clips that hold the fuse. Now the circuit works.
You can check fuse and fuse is good, the corrosion or dirt on fuse blades or fuse holding clips was the problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
isa

Triple E Owners Club
HWH did not respond

When our motorhome was new I had a problem with our kitchen slide that would only go out or in by pressing the Retract / Extend rocker switch several times.

HWH sent me a new rocker switch panel which solved the problem.

P.S. Make sure that you connect the wires properly to the right connections when you make the changeover.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #11

Worked on system today.

Olive, I looked at the control box through the glass front and did not see any 7.5 fuses, I saw a row of 15 amp and a row of 5 amp. I talked to hwh, Frank didn't think there was any slide fuses in the box, but winne runs all the wires for slides and locks.

So, I checked the connectors around the box, and I'm still in the process of checking all of the connections under the dash. Pulled out the plastic foot rest for the drivers left foot and found another bonanza of wire to check tomorrow.

I did pull the switches for the slide locks and found two hot and two ground that worked. checked the rocker switch and it toned ok. there are two yellow wires in the center of the switch which the winne wiring diag. indicated ran to the slide locks. Opened the slide lock compartments and tested for current while Bev pressed the switch. No current found. So now I'm thinking that somewhere between the switch and the lock motor which is winne wire, we have an open. Tomorrow I think I will talk to Winne and go back to the hwh control box for another look.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Question Main Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
The HWH electrical system works by completing the ground circuit. Next time you have that situation and you are able to work at it, Have someone hold the switch while you, using a test probe, ground out the terminals on the two relays on the hydraulic pack. I went through that drill with the help of Randy at HWH Tech Services and found a bad main relay. The inside of the relay was corroded and a broken wire was making intermittent contact. As Ed mentioned, above, it may be as simple as a corroded terminal which is exposed to the elements. In that case, a good cleaning of the connections and spray protectorant may solve your problem.
Fleetman,

Where is the main relay...what size is it?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Pubtym,
Call up one of the HWH schematics which show the pump motor from the rear. On mine, the main pump relay is on the left (facing the rear end of the motor) and the other is on the right side. In troubleshooting mine, the lights on the led panel indicated a grounding problem. Randy at HWH had me employ DW to hold a jack activation switch while I grounded each terminal on the relays till the pump activated. That indicated a problem with the relay. Being a curious ex-aircraft maintenance guy also, I took the relay apart and discovered corrosion and a broken wire which would make intermittent, unreliable contact. No problems since replacing that relay, a Heavy Duty Trombetta unit.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Pubtym,
Call up one of the HWH schematics which show the pump motor from the rear. On mine, the main pump relay is on the left (facing the rear end of the motor) and the other is on the right side. In troubleshooting mine, the lights on the led panel indicated a grounding problem. Randy at HWH had me employ DW to hold a jack activation switch while I grounded each terminal on the relays till the pump activated. That indicated a problem with the relay. Being a curious ex-aircraft maintenance guy also, I took the relay apart and discovered corrosion and a broken wire which would make intermittent, unreliable contact. No problems since replacing that relay, a Heavy Duty Trombetta unit.
Thanks Fleetman..I'll check them out.

I posted this on another thread...your thoughts..having an Aircraft Maintenance background...I share the same curiosity...as I test flew helicopters released from scheduled-unscheduled maintenance..

"Another issue here..in the HWH systems...

a. When I unwrapped the recently ordered "remanufactured" jack solenoid valve...I was appalled by the amount of paint flecks of peeling "fresh" black paint on the solenoid ..when I removed the attached "protective" plastic cap that's supposed to "protect" the valve piston assembly...I found more fleck debris on that supposedly "clean" area. Most mechanical hyd techs would refer to this as serious potential "Micro- FOD (Foreign Object Damage). My bet is the line dealer tech might not clean this stuff off the valve parts prior to reinstall of replacement valve..hmmmmm..

b. With my little knowledge of HWH jack-slide systems...I can not find parts reference to an in line hyd filter....even though the system has a pressure pump and many other moving parts able to produce normal and common wear-tear micro-FOD...hmmmmm. Are the solenoid valve failures associated with micro-FOD?

c. With added internet search...I find there are many companies that produce small cost effective mini in line high pressure hyd filters..One of these mini line filters should be able to be installed in the HWH hyd system...preferably on a line down fluid from the pump.....

More info here...and more to follow:
http://www.normanfilters.com/4200series.html[/quote]"

Pubtym