Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #43

I would love a diesel electric hybrid MH design mainly from a redundancy/reliability perspective. Imagine having say 4 diesel generators and a decent sized lithium buffer bank along with a roof covered in solar and 2 large wheel hub motors in the back. The generators can start stop and hand off to each other as needed. If going up a mountain you need all 4 but going down the highway flat maybe just 2, one has a problem you still have 3 working, stop by a shop yank the problem one and plug in a replacement. All the electricity you could want.

I think one day MH's will end up there, but it just not cost feasible nor is the weight/effciency of generator->battery->motor there compared to a standard big motor mechanical transmission. We will see self driving before this.

As said your average hybrid car is good on the highway simply because it's an efficient design (aerodynamic, skinny tires, etc.). The electric drive train is just dead weight on the highway. The only advantage something like the Prius has on the highway is using the Atkinson cycle rather than Otto with gas which lowers engine torque but increases efficiency, the lost torque is made-up with the electric motor assist, I believe the diesel cycle is more efficient still.

In the end it's pretty simple math to go down the highway at a certain speed with weight with a certain drag coefficient you need a certain amount of power. Last time I did the math a MH like mine needs somewhere around 120 hp to go down the road at 60 mph, that's 90 Kilowatts! Now go look how much a 90kw generator costs and weighs. Now figure you need more like 200kw to go up a mountain.

One thing that would help MH's significantly is better aerodynamics as at highway speed most of the energy spent is moving air out of the way, something like 80/20 split between air/weight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Last time I did the math a MH like mine needs somewhere around 120 hp to go down the road at 60 mph, that's 90 Kilowatts! Now go look how much a 90kw generator costs and weighs. Now figure you need more like 200kw to go up a mountain.

Yep! Look, this 93 KW generator costs $50,000. and the sad fact is you might need 2 of them !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1460334550.281352.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	123752

Old 04-11-2016, 12:17 AM   #45

Hi Guys,

My apologies to all for blowing a gasket at you all for using the batteries instead of capacitors.

I am sorry for my behavior in doing that, and for offending all those who did reply to my posting.

After reading today about the improbabilities of using capacitors vs. batteries. It seems that that would be all but lost time effort and energy to do something like that.

Also with the big box going down the road, thinking on the post making the front end the size of a minivan, would it even be feasible to maybe, drop the walls 2'-3', kinda like one of the Hi-Lo trailers? And then raise them back up to normal height? Or would that be a potential source of a major water leak, something that we all fear? I've not had a Hi-Lo, and not talked to anybody that does/did, therefore I'm ignorant on this.

Answers like I have gotten today, are the main reason that I ask questions (sometimes, very dumb ones), but this is how we all learn, or at least me.

And again, my apologies to all.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
Answers like I have gotten today, are the main reason that I ask questions (sometimes, very dumb ones), but this is how we all learn, or at least me.

X2

No worries! There are NO dumb questions...only questions....and that is how I learn also.
I find the discussion very interesting, and why I like this forum so much.

Tags
power