Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #1

Hydralift Trike Lift

I have a 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus and I am getting a Harley Davidson trike. I am considering putting a Hydralift trike lift on the back of the Tiffin. The trike lift is 8 ft. (96 in. long) and the trike is 105 inches long. The motor home exterior width is 101 in. and the Federal maximum mandated width on interstate roads is 102 in. or eight and a half feet. The trike will fit on the lift because it's wheelbase is 65.7 inches. However, overall, the trike will exceed the Federal mandate by 3 inches. I am looking for feedback from anyone who may have the Hydaralift trike lift for use with a Harley Davidson trike. I am interested in any input regarding issues they might have encountered as a result.
jackson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Which Bus do you have? Unless you have a 45 with a tag axle you will be overloading the rear axle.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
I have a 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus and I am getting a Harley Davidson trike. I am considering putting a Hydralift trike lift on the back of the Tiffin. The trike lift is 8 ft. (96 in. long) and the trike is 105 inches long. The motor home exterior width is 101 in. and the Federal maximum mandated width on interstate roads is 102 in. or eight and a half feet. The trike will fit on the lift because it's wheelbase is 65.7 inches. However, overall, the trike will exceed the Federal mandate by 3 inches. I am looking for feedback from anyone who may have the Hydaralift trike lift for use with a Harley Davidson trike. I am interested in any input regarding issues they might have encountered as a result.
Well Jackson,
When I installed the Hydralift on the back of our '04 Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, the bike we carried, (and still have) was/is our '08 Honda GL1800 Goldwing. It too was an inch or two, wider than the coach. I thought about that issue for about 5 seconds. I figured if they're gonna pull me over for that, well, it is what it is. Well, in over 8,000 miles and over two years of traveling all over the western U.S. and, being followed occasionally by all brands of law enforcement from just about all those states, not one of them ever pulled us over.

Yes, the rules are in place. There are max widths and all that. Again, it was so minute, that, I just didn't give it a second thought. The coach handled the weight just fine. No one died, the moon still rises, and we didn't loose our first born. Now, a trike, no doubt about it, is considerably heavier than you run-of-the mill full dress Harley or Wing. So, do take that into consideration. Good luck on your project.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift three.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	266005  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
for the cost of a hydrolift you can buy an enclosed trailer the the trike will be protected and you get more storage.

for the price of a hydrolift and blue ox tow i was able tp get a 2018 8.5 x 20 enclosed car hauler
Old 11-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Jackson,
When I installed the Hydralift on the back of our '04 Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, the bike we carried, (and still have) was/is our '08 Honda GL1800 Goldwing. It too was an inch or two, wider than the coach. I thought about that issue for about 5 seconds. I figured if they're gonna pull me over for that, well, it is what it is. Well, in over 8,000 miles and over two years of traveling all over the western U.S. and, being followed occasionally by all brands of law enforcement from just about all those states, not one of them ever pulled us over.

Yes, the rules are in place. There are max widths and all that. Again, it was so minute, that, I just didn't give it a second thought. The coach handled the weight just fine. No one died, the moon still rises, and we didn't loose our first born. Now, a trike, no doubt about it, is considerably heavier than you run-of-the mill full dress Harley or Wing. So, do take that into consideration. Good luck on your project.
Scott
Maybe it's not the current state of your rig--but how do people see your brake lights?
Old 11-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
Maybe it's not the current state of your rig--but how do people see your brake lights?
The HydraLift platform has LED brake lights built in. I added a third light in the center too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beaver with Hydralift carrying V-Star 1300 Deluxe.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	266021  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

Thanks for the input. You addressed the two concerns I had - the width issue and as far as the weight issue, I emptied my fresh water and grey water tanks and then I had my coach weighed and added in the additional weight of the trike and trike lift and the rear axle weight as within the acceptable parameters as were the front axle and the GVWR. Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
Thanks for the input. You addressed the two concerns I had - the width issue and as far as the weight issue, I emptied my fresh water and grey water tanks and then I had my coach weighed and added in the additional weight of the trike and trike lift and the rear axle weight as within the acceptable parameters as were the front axle and the GVWR. Thanks again.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just pointing out some things you need to consider. If all you have done is add the weights, you have to take into consideration the cantilever effect of the rear overhang. Adding weight back there multiplies the weight on the rear axle and lightens the load on the front axle, which can cause instability. Here is a document from another company that will let you calculate load. Their distance for the lift is 23" but you will need to make that closed to 40" for a trike lift. Just using the Bus wheelbase and a general weight, it shows a 1200lb load (trike & lift) may be putting up to 1800lbs load on the rear axle in addition to lightening the front end. I know others have done it, but lifts are generally not recommended on non-tag axle motor homes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf addedweightdiagramrev2.pdf (53.6 KB, 24 views)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just pointing out some things you need to consider. If all you have done is add the weights, you have to take into consideration the cantilever effect of the rear overhang. Adding weight back there multiplies the weight on the rear axle and lightens the load on the front axle, which can cause instability. Here is a document from another company that will let you calculate load. Their distance for the lift is 23" but you will need to make that closed to 40" for a trike lift. Just using the Bus wheelbase and a general weight, it shows a 1200lb load (trike & lift) may be putting up to 1800lbs load on the rear axle in addition to lightening the front end. I know others have done it, but lifts are generally not recommended on non-tag axle motor homes.
X2 Do you plan to do all your travels with empty fresh water
and grey water tanks?
Old 11-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #10

Most of the patrolmen following you were checking out your nice bike.

Or your rig overall.
They think of retirement sometime also.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
The picture you're looking at was when I first installed the lift and was testing it out. I knew then that, the tail lights on the coach would be almost non existent. So, I added some 15" long LED "stop/turn/tail" lights on the Hydralift, (not "Hydolift"). Those lights were SERIOULSLY bright in both running and turn/brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
The HydraLift platform has LED brake lights built in. I added a third light in the center too.
Well CountryB,
Our Hydralift did not come with any lights of any form. As stated above, I searched for some that would fit and not get damaged when the lift was landing or sitting on the ground yet, would still provide a high quality presentation of rear tail lighting. The "Partsam 15" LED lights fit the bill just fine.
Scott

To both of you, if you look closely at the floor plate that the bike is sitting on in the pic below, you'll see the very nice lights that work outstandingly and are very well protected.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	266057  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
X2 Do you plan to do all your travels with empty fresh water
and grey water tanks?
If I, in fact, do put the trike lift on the back, then the answer is yes, whenever I am traveling from point A to point B I do intend to run with empty fresh water and grey water tanks.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Thanks for the input. I will take what you said into consideration. In my conversations with the owner and builder of the Hydralift trike lift, he mentioned the cantilever effect and he described to me what he did to compensate for it to a substantial extent. At this point, I don't know if I will install the lift. I am still evaluating all of the input that I have been getting. And there are still some more items in the coach and cargo bays that I can remove ignorer to lighten the load even more if I decide to get the lift. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:27 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Most of the patrolmen following you were checking out your nice bike.

Or your rig overall.
They think of retirement sometime also.
This is true!

I've had a border guard, go through the same thing.
It's odd, your sitting there wearing your poker face, cause you are going through a border crossing, and your guard is in lust with your rig !