Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Now when parked.. You want the floor of the motor home to be both level and as movable as a concrete slab.

Hydraulic fluid can not be compressed. So as you move around the motor home it's not rocking and rolling.

So, if you leave the air bags inflated when parked (instead of using the jacks) you need a sign for your door.

"If the Rig's a-rockin', Don't come Knockin'"
Except that...

Lots of high end rigs with a bus-type chassis don't have hydraulic jack, only air leveling. And they don't move when you walk around them, at least in my experience. So it must be possible to do an air leveling system with minimal movement. I don't know how they do it.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As stated, they both do the same function. I use air level in places where jacks would possibly sink in. Some grass lots, asphalt, or wet conditions on dirt.

The air will automatically re adjust every 30 minutes. The biggest adjustment is the first one as the air was much hotter on the first fill then it will be once everything has cooled down. Still during temp swings it will adjust, as air volume will change.

In my coach if the high point is either rear axle, then that will be resting on the frame and the other bags will inflate. Under that condition there is no bounce.

If the high point is the front, then the rear bags have air and you notice a bounce. With kids that bounce is noticeable, as well as the washer on spin cycle.

Also as stated, hydraulic give far more range, but that can be bad too...think wheels off ground!

I use them both.

It is not for in motion driving, that is a different function run by a different "system". But it does allow for ride height overrides, at least with active air.

2013 Newmar 4347 DSDP * All Electric *HWH Active Air System * Upgraded Front Heater * Lots of tweaks and customizations - See Blogs

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our coach has air leveling only. I was hesitant about it at first since my previous DP had hydraulic jacks. What I have learned about the air leveling system:

1. it is easy to use and works quickly to level the coach
2. it has a separate 12V compressor that periodically runs to 're-level' the coach if there is a change over time.
3. I like not having to fool with jacks, jack pads for soft surfaces, and waiting for jacks to retract.
4. We don't feel any more bounce or movement when parked and level than we did with our previous coach except when the rear is low and the air suspension has raised the back of the coach a lot to get level.
5. The air leveling does have a leveling limit/capability that my jack system did not. If you park on a surface that is really sloped, you may not be able to get level. We recently were parked in a position where the rear was low and the air system had to raise the rear of the coach to the max to achieve front-to-back level. Due to the maxing out of the rear, there was not enough 'lift' left to achieve perfect side-to-side leveling. So, had a slight lean to one side but not enough to be uncomfortable.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote