Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

Hydraulic Leveler Hose Leaking

Hello to all, I have a leaky hydraulic hose. Goes to front passenger side jack. I know a guy that can fab me a new hose, what I was wondering is has anyone ever removed this type of hose. Is it pressurized, will it spray everywhere when I remove it ? With jacks up, is it under pressure ? Thaks in advance for help !!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Commercial Member

if you have the hose made up locally, be sure to inquire about the pressure rating of the fitting, as well as the hose material. crimped fittings dont usually work well with the hwh system.
the hwh system operates at 3200 lbs pressure. most crimped fittings are rated for around 1200 to 2000 lbs. the hose is usually not a problem.
some local repair centers can construct a hose that does work. im not implying that they cant.
if the jacks are retracted, the hose can be removed with a minimal loss of fluid. it wont be under pressure.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #3

Thanks !!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
l had the same issue while on the road in Nashville. I removed the faulty hose and took it to a business that made hoses. They duplicated the hose with new connections. That was about 8 years ago and still works great. There was no pressure in my hose when I removed it. I GUESS that when the jacks are up there is no pressure since the springs are holding the jack in the up position.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1959 View Post
Hello to all, I have a leaky hydraulic hose. Goes to front passenger side jack. I know a guy that can fab me a new hose, what I was wondering is has anyone ever removed this type of hose. Is it pressurized, will it spray everywhere when I remove it ? With jacks up, is it under pressure ? Thaks in advance for help !!!
The 2013 Adventurer uses the Lippert jack system which is pressurized in both directions. The older HWH system was only pressurized when extended. The return was accomplished by opening the solenoid and having springs apply pressure to retract the rod.

In short you will loose some oil when removing the line. The Jack should be blocked in place before removing the line so if it moves slightly you don't suck air or dirt into the system. Once the line has been removed you should also plug both ports (one on the jack and the pump manifold) to prevent additional oil loss and dirt from entering the system.

NAPA used to sell 2 different sets of rubber plugs that will work for this application. One was just a set of various size plugs on a chain.They were sold as vacuum plugs, but I've used them successfully on dozens of hydraulic line applications with no problems. The other set was meant for brake, fuel, or other liquid filled lines and looked similar to a C clamp with the moveable end being a tapered rubber plug on the end of a threaded thumb screw.

If the people at the shop making your new hose are knowledgeable of the Lippert system you might ask if they can loan you the proper plugs for your application. I haven't had the occasion to disassemble any of our fittings, but they look like JIC style. I wouldn't guarantee that though since I see more and more proprietary fittings coming back into the market.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a "Tractor Supply" Store around, they sell a variety of hoses. You could order them on-line if you know your length and fittings.

Here is an example and a link.

Tractor Supply Co.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak