Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #29

Red face

A consideration yet to be mentioned is overall safety and the class C wins hands down. Have yet to see a class A with air bags and that huge windshield has the capacity todo some serious slice and dice damage in any front end collision.

Also a C is far easier/cheaper to service. Can you change a tire on your class A? No problem on a C.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNomad View Post
I've pretty much decided on an A. (It would have to be an exceptional c for me to go that route at this point).

Do you think I will regret getting a gasser?
Sounds like based over all on the needs you describe, a class A is more up your alley. As for the gasser vs diesel thing. It sounds like your needs are much more about having a home to stay in than it is about traveling. The gasser should prove cheaper to buy and maintain, easier to maintain and the loss of power that you have with gasser shouldn't really effect you. Sure, roaring up a hillside at 60 mph has it's appeal but a gasser will get the job done for a lower overall cost of ownership. Just focus on making sure you have a good roof and layout. If you are going to hot climes, you may really need that second AC as a backup for your pets if they are at home alone during the day.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #31

I thank all of you for your comments, suggestions, and input. I will most certainly be keeping it all in mind.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #32

I have had a 32' Gasser and then a 35' DP and now a 43' DP.

If starting from scratch and the driving comfort was not the primary concern, I would go for the Gasser.

Just about all the positive things mentioned in this thread in favor of a DP, concern drive ability. So if you are not going to drive it long distances all the time, then all those things don't matter. I am sure you can find a Gasser with a floor plan you like, and that is what matters most. Most people live in the MH more than drive it.

My reason for stepping up to a bigger DP was driving it 15,000 miles a year, so driving comfort was the primary concern.

Good luck,

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Bill View Post
Most people live in the MH more than drive it.

My reason for stepping up to a bigger DP was driving it 15,000 miles a year, so driving comfort was the primary concern.

Good luck,

Bill

Did I miss something there, or is there a typo?

15k a YEAR is 1,250 miles a month.

If a person drove hard, that's 2 days of driving, if taking it very easy, that's 5 days of 250 miles a day, that's what?

Driving slowly that's still only 4 hours a day for a week of every month.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Did I miss something there, or is there a typo?

15k a YEAR is 1,250 miles a month.

If a person drove hard, that's 2 days of driving, if taking it very easy, that's 5 days of 250 miles a day, that's what?

Driving slowly that's still only 4 hours a day for a week of every month.
That is not a typo, we operate a business out of our coach that requires personal appearances all around the USA and will encompass 2 round trips from West Coast to East Coast this year. Next year we will only do one coast to coast but we will also go to Alaska for 4 months.

Were you suggesting that 15k a year is nothing for the average MH owner?
I think the average full timer puts a lot less than that on their coach.

Bill
Old 06-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #35

I would say 15k a year is pretty high. We maybe do between 1 and 3 thousand a year.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
I am Torn Between Class A Gasser and Class C

Quote:

Bill

I can't speak for the person who commented, but I thought it was an impressive number. We are doing a nine week, 4500 mile "escape the heat" trip, and I find that driving 300 miles every 3 or 4 days is quite a lot since the idea is to get places so we can enjoy ourselves visiting the area, not role play at being long haul truck drivers.

Certainly as a professional bus driver I drive more than that when working, but I don't drive my RV for a career. Your level of driving is pretty darn impressive for recreational travel.

I'd be curious to learn what areas you normally travel through, and where you prefer to spend each season.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #37

After a shake down camping trip and living in the rv for a couple of months about 100 miles north of where that happens, my first real trip in the thing will be over 2500 miles (I plan on making that trip over 5 days. But I've left myself two weeks after the drive before I have to report to work :wink

We all use RVs differently.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I'd be curious to learn what areas you normally travel through, and where you prefer to spend each season.
We are not real full timers yet as we still spend the winter in our S&B in SoCal so our travels are done in 9 months. Our route takes us in Feb from SoCal to GA to NC to NH to WI to San Fran then through Austin TX to St Louis to Chicago to Boston to Asheville to Orlando to Arkansas and back to SoCal in Nov. I left out a lot of stops, but you get the idea.

Bill
Old 06-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I am Torn Between Class A Gasser and Class C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNomad View Post
After a shake down camping trip and living in the rv for a couple of months about 100 miles north of where that happens, my first real trip in the thing will be over 2500 miles (I plan on making that trip over 5 days. But I've left myself two weeks after the drive before I have to report to work :wink

We all use RVs differently.

I sure hope you are talking about freeway miles if you plan on doing 500 miles a day. I understand that you're 40 years younger than me, but that's some serious miles repeated over several days.

I certainly won't say it can't be done, but you might want to plan some extra time for a little something we old geezers refer to as "the unexpected."

Also keep in mind that my 300 miles a day is mostly mountain roads through lots of speed limited small towns, not blowing down the interstate at 70.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #40

Quote:
That is not a typo, we operate a business out of our coach that requires personal appearances all around the USA and will encompass 2 round trips from West Coast to East Coast this year. Next year we will only do one coast to coast but we will also go to Alaska for 4 months.

Bill
That's pretty high mileage each year compared to us. We average 3-4,000 mi/yr.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I sure hope you are talking about freeway miles if you plan on doing 500 miles a day. I understand that you're 40 years younger than me, but that's some serious miles repeated over several days.

I certainly won't say it can't be done, but you might want to plan some extra time for a little something we old geezers refer to as "the unexpected."

Also keep in mind that my 300 miles a day is mostly mountain roads through lots of speed limited small towns, not blowing down the interstate at 70.

I-10 and I-20 will be used for the majority of the trip. And like I said, I have planned a two week buffer. The unexpected is the norm around here. Lol.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #42

Quote:

Bill

I don't know what you drive, but I know there's a LOT of folks who do 100k plus a year in a cube van, the same chassis as a class C, no problem.

I do a minimum of 4 long trips (3,500 miles round trip) a year and at least that many again that are half(ish) that distance. No problem.

IMHO, if a nicely appointed modern vehicle of any type is uncomfortable for that short a time for someone, an airliner might be a much better choice for them.

Tags
class a, class c, gas