Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
I need anew battery plan!!!

I had intended to remove the two deep cycle marine batteries and change to QTY four or six six volt golf cart batteries ( In the craziness of buying these things it is some times cheaper to buy a lot of six than a lot of four).
I had some pictures that I studied over the winter where my batteries are located in front of the rad and had decided it would be doable. However now that the warm weather is here and I have done a physical look the frame I had intended to mount too is no where near strong enough to take 360 pounds of batteries going up an down the road. and I had missed the fact that the the batteries would also shadow the trans cooler (not good).
So now I am on the hunt for an alternate plan and wondering where others have installed their battery banks?
I cannot sacrifice the storage compartments and again the weight would be an issue. Venting would also be an issue in the compartments.
Has any one frame mounted the batteries under the coach?
Or maybe I should just look for AGM or other batteries that will fit where the originals are.
I am open to suggestions and Ideas.
We plan to boondock a lot next year and I have two 170 watt solar panels and charger installed.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If 6 are too heavy, then use 4x 6v GC2, or 4x real 12v deep cycles (not the marine type). Get them large enough for the amp-hours (AH) you feel you need for your off-grid usage. More AH means more weight, though, so if weight is your limiting factor you are going to have to live with fewer AH. AH capacity is directly related to the amount of lead in a battery, so a battery with more AH always weighs more.

AGM or not is a different question and basically a no-maintenance vs maintenance discussion. You pay a lot more to get the zero maintenance that comes with AGM.

Trojan makes some dandy 12v deep cycles in both flooded cell and AGM designs and either will give you many years of good service. My Trojan AGM 31's (Group 31 size, 102 AH each) are 8 years old now and still doing quite well.

And 12v batteries gives you the option to use 5 instead of 6, if that helps the weight issue.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
The 12 volt deep cycle option is one that I had not considered. That is what happens when you let your mind run down a fixed path.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery