Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As long as they are aimed up ,just above burner, air will be pushed out your top vent.
Make sure you have a baffel at top vent to direct air out your top vent some coach;s were missing this baffel and heat would collect at top of fridge area causing heat problems.
If you pullup any pdf of installation of a fridge you will see instructions for MFG on how fridge should be installed with your vent setup.
Mount fans to a couple of small angle irons for support across and to hold in vent opening.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks 007!

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #17

WELL, looks like my refrigerator issue IS pretty common - and my approach to a fix is also pretty common!

Here's a pointer to the specific fans I plan to use:

120mm Fans 4LED Blue For Computer Case Cooling PC - eBay (item 250353053927 end time Jul-30-10 00:30:28 PDT)

I don't need the blue LED's - but who knows - might dress up the MH a bit - if they are even visible from the outside!

Price is certainly cheap enough, as is shipping! As it happens, I have an identical cooling fan inside my PC - it typically runs all day long, and has for nearly 10 years now, with no problems!

Since I haven't seen any other threads or pics on this sort of mod, I'll try to do so when the fans arrive, and I get them installed.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #18

The Norcold RIM1201 refrigerator has dual muffin fans build in as standard equipment. It has a thermal switch attached to the top cooling fins which controls the operation of the fans. This thermal is set to close its contacts at 135 degrees. Might help to determine the what thermal switch to use and how to mount it.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #19

I bought a 4" computer fan at Radio Shack for $18. Took about 10 minutes to hook up. Problem solved.

Before fan - Setting 9 (Coldest) = 50 degrees
After fan - Setting 3 = 36 degrees.

Same weather, same location, Key West, FL
Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Chief, Nice results. The quicker you can dissipate heat from that area the more efficient the refrigerator, but if the sun is beating on that side of the RV during the heat of the day it seem like a losing battle.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #21
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
I bought a 4" computer fan at Radio Shack for $18. Took about 10 minutes to hook up. Problem solved.

Chief:
Did you put the fan on the inside of the fridge or install it in the outside compartment?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #22

Quote:

YUP something similar happened to us this last outing - pretty warm day, sun directly on refrigerator side of MH facing the sun, and even with the control on highest setting, ice cream was getting pretty soft, and refrigerator was losing ground as well. Checking the coils on back of the refrigerator showed LOTS of heat buildup on them and the compartment - yet as soon as the direct sun went away, had to back the thermostat down to half, because even the fins in the refrigerator started freezing up. The cooling unit was trying it's best - but conditions stacked the deck against it!

SO, gotta work at improving the cooling air circulation - might want to take ice cream along again sometime!

I can easily get the freezer temp down below zero, and refrigerator to 33 degrees here at home in less sun exposed conditions - and in most of our usual CG parking spots - but imagine efficiency would benefit those too - and reduce needed power or propane usage as well...
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #23

Quote:

what kind of refrigerator do you have and is it a 2 door or a 4 door, does it have any fans from factory? The reason that i ask its because i have a norcold 4 door that as two fans from factory and wanted to know if anyone as done this on a fridge like mine, need my icecream to stay nice and frozen but its kind of hard, thanks Joe.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
YUP something similar happened to us this last outing - pretty warm day, sun directly on refrigerator side of MH facing the sun, and even with the control on highest setting, ice cream was getting pretty soft, and refrigerator was losing ground as well. Checking the coils on back of the refrigerator showed LOTS of heat buildup on them and the compartment - yet as soon as the direct sun went away, had to back the thermostat down to half, because even the fins in the refrigerator started freezing up. The cooling unit was trying it's best - but conditions stacked the deck against it!

SO, gotta work at improving the cooling air circulation - might want to take ice cream along again sometime!

I can easily get the freezer temp down below zero, and refrigerator to 33 degrees here at home in less sun exposed conditions - and in most of our usual CG parking spots - but imagine efficiency would benefit those too - and reduce needed power or propane usage as well...
the only way that i can keep my icecream some what hard is if i put it all the way in the bottom, like if you have other stuff like frozen meats or anything else i put the icecream in first on the bottom and then the other stuff on top and that way stays ok, but if i put the icecream on top of other stuff it will turn really soft almost liquid.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #25

I have a Norcold that has two fans below the pipes and fins but the thermal switch has never come on. I tested the switch (unscientifically) and think the on temperature is around 180F. Way to high. My quick fix was to clip a jumper wire across the thermal switch so the fan ran continuously during the 95-100 degree days. While the fans are running the fridge performs very well. Next is an on-off switch or a lower temp thermal switch.

Also, a lot of heat was building in the space above the fridge so I stuffed some fiberglass insulation up there. It seems to keep the heat out of the coach and also keeps cold out in winter winds.
The Utzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
If you do what Txiceman says and add a thermal switch the fan will come on and turn off at a preset temperature.
OK, I hunted all over for the one I had from an earlier project - couldn't fine it, so ordered this one:

.500 inch Radius, Pipe Mount Senasys – Shop

Under $10 - not bad.

Got one that closes at 120 degrees, and opens at 105 - should work just fine, and look at that neat pipe clamp mounting!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #27

We also have the Norcold with the twin fans, but also subscribe that "overkill is about right.."

I added two fans at the top of the flue, each one with it's own clik-switch. But I also have a 3rd thermal switch on the fridge Ammonia pipe, so neither fan will come on unless the main switch is tripped, indicating the system is on. Theory was that the summer heat could cycle them without the fridge even being on. Absolutely no problem with ice cream.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Answer to JC2 question in most cases fans mounted outside fridge in back where your coils are are what we are talking about. Thats the area of most heat build up that will cause you the most problem on a 4 door or 2 door and both makes of refrigerators Norcold & Dometic.
Here is a couple of fixes by Oemy's on his web site, one is the inside of fridge and other at base of fridge on platform.
Like someone said the more hot air blown out from behind fridge the harder the ICE CREAM.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote