Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
LindyT - as I am NOT a ladder person and am on the road (most of my goodies are in the toolboxes at home - of course), I'll have to wait until we get home to do an upper mount job.

Got the fan at newegg Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 120mm Case Fan

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
OK - I now have the new fan assembly mod installed and functioning - here's a few pics:
(click on pics to enlarge)

Where did you get your nifty clip on temperature switch?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
If anyone is not in a hurry and going by Quartzite this fall I bought 2 of those fans for $ 3.00 ea for another project then didn't use them. They are now mounted between the back of the fridge and the outside wall.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Where did you get your nifty clip on temperature switch?
Got mine here:

.500 inch Radius, Pipe Mount Senasys Shop

Mine is the "close at 120 degrees, open at 105" version.

A wrap-up of mod to date:

Setup as displayed in pics further above works BEAUTIFULLY, at least in my installation, on our particular RV. The single fan in my 3-fan array handles all normal situations and conditions quite adequately - to the point I was concerned if the temperature switch or location was OK or not. Temp readings at all lower locations of the system were all in the 115-118 degree range in the hottest weather (90 degrees) we've had since the finished install - and with the refrigerator side of the MH in direct sunlight.

To assure myself that the switch - and it's location - was adequate, I completely blocked off the lower vents with duct tape and shut off the fans power, and switched over to propane for maximum internal heat generation. After an hour or so, heat seemed somewhat higher in the compartment area - so I re-powered the fans - and they ALL turned on - the switch was working just fine! After about 15 minutes, temp was reduced, and the 2 outer fans shut down, just as they should.

It appears that in any but most extreme conditions, the single fan, combined with the raising of that restrictive upper vent cover, the single fan will handle venting needs just fine - but the added insurance of the other 2 is nice to have, if needed.

I'm running my fridge thermostat at the halfway point, and freezer temp is a consistent -4 degrees - and with the circulating fan in the refrigerator compartment, it runs at about 34 degrees up near the fin section, and increases to about 45 down at the bottom of the compartment - pretty much identical to what our freezer/refrigerator in the house runs.

Payoff, other than colder food storage, is better efficiency of the refrigerator in general, lower power consumption as the freezing unit has to work less hard to accomplish it's job - and just possibly, longer lifespan for the refrigerator in general.

NO, not all RV refrigerators need this mod - but I suspect far MORE of them do than owners realize - and yeah, my particular method and hardware may not be best for everyone - but I can easily inspect and maintain mine from ground level - and TOTALLY remove the entire assembly in less than 2 minutes, if need be. It in no way restricts or interferes with any other inspection or maintenance of other assemblies in the rear of the refrigerator - and is extremely quiet and vibration free.

It suits my needs and expectations perfectly, so far.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the link, Doc. I'll be ordering a couple of those.

I sympathize regarding the ladder. Mine was ordered rear-ladder delete (looks clean... bad idea though!) you should see me wobbling up to the roof on my Werner telescoping ladder. I've been told I look like a drugged ape (one of DW's many affectionate terms for me.)
Old 07-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #90

Short update on the "real life" test of my modded refrigerator:

Took the MH again to the same CG where we regularly go to camp and fish. Parked in the same area where the reduced efficiency of the Norcold refrigerator that started this thread first became evident - this was the first time the refrigerator had actually been used, loaded with food and all...

In my at-home tests, with the refrigerator empty, the 2 outer fans controlled by the added sensor/switch, only activated with extra "prodding", as commented upon a few posts back. This time back at the CG, the difference in exposure - possibly combined with being filled with food - including a half gallon of ice cream in the freezer, caused the 2 extra fans to come on during the hottest part of the day - refrigerator side of the MH in direct sunlight, and temp in the 95 degree area - and they stayed on for about 45 minutes. The temp inside the freezer never wavered - and yup - we had properly refrigerated ice cream!

That was the only time the outer fans activated, rest if the trip, temps were enough lower the outer fans never kicked in - but this outing has pretty well shown me that the full installation, and "extra" fans were well worth inclusion - and made an undeniable difference in refrigerator performance in what for us, is a "worse case scenario"...
Old 07-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Installed a marine solar vent on the vent hood, moves 11 cubic feet a minute. Works great...no wires..no switches...no thermostats...no battery drain.

Solar Vents - Sunvent 8.5" Stainless Steel Solar Vent Fan - Bruce Anchors - Bruce Anchor - Plow Anchors - Plow Anchor - CQR Anchors - CQR Anchor - Claw Anchor - Stainless steel boa
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
Installed a marine solar vent on the vent hood, moves 11 cubic feet a minute. Works great...no wires..no switches...no thermostats...no battery drain.

Solar Vents - Sunvent 8.5" Stainless Steel Solar Vent Fan - Bruce Anchors - Bruce Anchor - Plow Anchors - Plow Anchor - CQR Anchors - CQR Anchor - Claw Anchor - Stainless steel boa
Couple of things to be aware of using that approach:

1. They only work well when exposed to direct sunlight - so, if you usually prefer to park your RV in the shade for reduced heat in your RV, don't expect very much air movement from a solar powered setup - and even in the clear, as the sun becomes diagonally exposed to the panels, power output can drop significantly... Added to that, is that if you RV in climates where night time temps are high, no sun = no power output from the panel...

2. Typical solar panels in setups like those tend to be cheaply/poorly made of low grade materials - and usually only good for a season or 2 - I hope these are made of better stuff!

I had seriously considered that approach - the idea of "free" power is attractive - but in actual use, the above 2 issues, plus the fact that the 1/3 amp draw of the single fan in my setup is so minimal as to be disregarded - especially when you figure a single typical 12 volt interior light draws 3 times that amount...

BUT, the more options we are offered, the better!

Not in the least knocking that approach - simply pointing out the potential downside...
Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #93

Small update on the above thread:

On my own Norcold fan mod, I use 3 PC type fans in a bank for cooling - originally, the center fan was always on anytime the refrigerator was powered on, the outer 2 fans were sensor controlled to only come on at 125 degrees or so, and the sensor was a clip-on type that I clipped to the upper-most coil.

I soon found that during late night and morning hours, even the single fan was not needed, since the refrigerator thermostat was set so that the refrigerator was not actually on during those hours - and even the single fan was not necessary.

Luckily, I found a source on EBay for a sensor switch that closes at 105 degrees - and opens down around 90 degrees - perfect for what I had in mind!

(click on image for larger view)

Note the location I use down close to the refrigerator heating area - and also that the sensor screw-down ears are not secured. I wanted to test this install location for suitability - and used JB quik-weld epoxy to secure the switch as seen above - as it turns out, the location and switch work perfectly, and it will remain as pictured.

I place all my control switches in the ground side of the circuit - so a short is of no concern - worse that can happen, is that the fan will go active if any of that part of the circuit grounds out.

The JB Weld will secure just as easily to a curved location if need be - all that is needed is to apply the epoxy, temporarily clamp, then wait until it sets up - and you're done - the JB quik weld sets up in about 5 minutes, and is heat conductive enough to transfer to the switch - and the epoxy will also easily withstand temperatures in this heat range with no problems.

That ice cream sure tastes good out in the boondocks on these hot days!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #94
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the update Gary glad the ice cream is to your liking.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #95

I did an upgrade and installed 4 pc fans at the top with a thermostat the fans are about 4.5'' each and the thermostat is adjustable from 90 to 130, on the freezer part It fells like that It helped but on the refrigerator part I don't see much of a change, I can't get the temp to go lower then 39 40 degrees, what temperatures are you guys reaching out there in the refrigerator side, I have a 4 door norcold, thanks Joe.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #96
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You already have two fans on 1200 are they working?
Most fans have been installed just to the top on lower vent opening did you try them there?
Most people never have a problem with freezer part of fridge just the box area of fridge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #97

the two from factory are working. And I installed mine on the top vent because I read some were that they work better sucking air then blowing air do you agree with that.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #98

Newmar Owners Club
007 - I am one of those 'other guys'. Our reefer box stays nice & cold, but even with the mods I've made the ice cream just won't stay frozen solid in the freezer. If i crank it all the way up to '5' then I get frozen food in the fridge part & still not frozen ice cream. Dometic RM1250.

Went up on a ladder the other day to install the temp sensor for the auxiliary fans on the topmost coil, and noticed that the baffle is in place on the top, but the sides are open to the fiberglass insulation.

My aux. fans are presently in the bottom of the fridge blowing up, but I will probably change them to blow out the top when I get home (and get a MUCH more sturdy ladder). I'll also block the sides with insulation board and hope both help.

I really feel that there is a design flaw in this reefer in NOT having positive door latches. The only thing that holds the doors closed are the magnetic gaskets (which I have already changed - and still have air leaks as the box ices up fairly fast ). When the engine is started an electronic lock is engaged but there is still play in the doors that will allow air leaks.

Next refrigerator WILL be a residential all-electric. I've had it with these rv types.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote