Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a photo. Here is what happens

Ignition on-#1 lights
Ignition on, Parking lights on- #1, 3 light
Ignition off, Parking lights on- #3 only
Light switch to on, column lever to Lo-beam- #1, 3 light.
Light switch on, column lever to hi #2,3 light
Turn signals or 4 ways- #4 blinks as it should.

I did this because I may be mistaken about which light does what. Iam certain now that 1 is the DRL and 3 goes on with parking/marker lights.

The marker lights also blink.
The parking/marker lights are the only system giving a problem then.
There is no flasher on those lights at all. Nothing with a flasher in it blinks in sympathy. There is no circuit breaker on those. Could I have something crossing over from something with a flasher? I will see if I can find flashers without pulling the drivers seat out to get under the seat. I can see if pulling any of them helps. Anything more has to wait until I'm back. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2364.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	127981  
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have my batteries disconnected as I'm working on the generator (Fuel pump and fuel filter change), When I get them hooked up, I'll check mine.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
I’m not sure if the Mirada headlight assembly is unique to the Mirada or is used on a production vehicle. If someone knows if this is a production assembly send me a PM or leave a comment.

The DRL uses the same bulb as the Low Beam. When the headlights are OFF, the DRL / Low Beam bulb gets its power through a DRL resistor. This lowers the voltage a little so the bulb is dimmer than normal low beam.

When you turn the headlights ON, the DRL / Low Beam bulb gets full 12 volts applied.

When the High beam is selected, it turns off the low beam.

Headlight assembly | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight_DRL_2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	128163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight_Assembly_800.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	128164  

Old 05-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I have my batteries disconnected as I'm working on the generator (Fuel pump and fuel filter change), When I get them hooked up, I'll check mine.
Thanks. I did the generator recently. Nasty job!
Looking at your post I believe that that information is what I needed so no need to do that. It is the parking lights that are the problem, not the DLR. That should be easier to figure out. Looks like I have to pull both light pods to get change or pull those running light bulbs and the mounts are not in goof condition so I will wait till I return to do it.
Thanks
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 05-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
The genney seems to run better. It definitely starts easier.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The genney seems to run better. It definitely starts easier.
I think that that genny is very robust and well made. It does have its share of little things that can screw it up though. I have seen the air filter holder (an A shaped device inside the airbox) break loose from the spot welds. The circuit breaker broke. The furl filter can't be changed without removing the generator. The reed valve inside the valve cover fails periodically, oiling the air filter. The incoming air temp sensor is squirrely and the carb is very sensitive to mixture and has to be run richer than I would normally think. (California spec machine.) For all of that it is tough, long lived and has a great solid power output and I like it.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi
Sorry to have gone away like that. Things happened. Some are taken care of and I can get back to the RV. I apologize to those who may have been left hanging.
As was suggested I disconnected the wires to the parking lights in the headlight shell. Because there is not enough room to get to the lamps on that side outshout pulling the deteriorating pods and doing damage I pulled the plug for the entire pod. The running lights all over the RV still blink. As was suggested also I listened under the hood for any relays clicking but could not hear any. I pulled the relays one by one on the relay box and the power box under the hood but the lamps kept blinking. I could not pull relays 12&3 since the cover is the only thing that comes off.
I listened under the dash for anything that could be a blinker or relay but heard nothing. Any further digging under the dash will require removal of the drivers seat (again). It is the only way I can get under there .
Should I go around the RV and start pulling bulbs or go under and start un-wireing lamps? That is all that I can think of right now!
Old 07-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Running lights blinking.. ???

Please refresh us on the symptoms....
Old 07-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #37

VW Golf headlights:

Mentioned here (as used by Fleetwood):
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/head...tml#post704256

As for the blinking, I need reread the thread and look at some diagrams. Might also depend on exactly how Coachmen hooked up to the Ford wiring.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
blinking sounds like a self resetting overload, But there are none in the Ford headlight circuit!!!

I just checked, there isn't any in the headlight switch either!!!

Kahonna will give us a rundown on the symptoms again. I know he's been working on his Mirada for a while to wip it into shape.

Is the Mirada light out of the Golf?? On my next junk yard run I'll look for these.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Running lights blinking.. ???

Please refresh us on the symptoms....
It has been a while. The lamps marked as Parking Lights on your headlight diagram are dipping or blinking off every second or two. It is a very regular blink and it also effects the running lights all over the RV and the tail lights. This is everything controlled by the first flick in the "headlight" rotary switch on the dash. I think that is labeled Parking lights also. It is doing it even when the Headlight pods have been disconnected so the problem is not within the deteriorating headlight pods.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
VW Golf headlights:

Mentioned here (as used by Fleetwood):
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/head...tml#post704256

As for the blinking, I need reread the thread and look at some diagrams. Might also depend on exactly how Coachmen hooked up to the Ford wiring.
Wild! Yes. That is the headlamp. I have the one without the fog lamp. Back around five years ago when I needed a part for it Coachmen gave me a number to use and sait it was for a Lada truck made in Poland. Those parts get used in all sorts of vehicles. The blink is happening in the parking lamp and is not a problem with the headlight pod. It still happens with the other lights when the pod is disconnected. Oh well.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
blinking sounds like a self resetting overload, But there are none in the Ford headlight circuit!!!

I just checked, there isn't any in the headlight switch either!!!

Kahonna will give us a rundown on the symptoms again. I know he's been working on his Mirada for a while to wip it into shape.

Is the Mirada light out of the Golf?? On my next junk yard run I'll look for these.
Yup, it is used in the golf and ours id the one that does not have the fog light. I am going to keep mine if I can because I have applied thick plastic clear covers on them after polishing the lenses and they work great. I might just get a spare junkyard set though.
Yes. The periodic dip is so much like an overload protector that it makes me nuts. It even changes frequency with load! But there are no breakers. Static buildup with spark releasing it? I can replace the headlight dial assembly but will that do it? Wish I knew!
Old 07-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #42

Parking/exterior lights are pretty simple:

Same deal as the headlights, no circuit breakers.

There's a couple different OEM Golf headlights. US guys swap to euro spec stuff too. I think those have glass lenses...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, batteries, chassis, coachmen, f53, mirada, need help