Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Parking/exterior lights are pretty simple:

Same deal as the headlights, no circuit breakers.
Thanks. Unless it is in the Electronic Brake or the Warning chime module it has to be either in the rotary light switch or the wires. A short in the wires might cause a freak reaction in the electronics in the switch or the switch could be bad. There is a message telling where to go fir switch testing. Would you be kind enough to post that or better still tell me where to get the document that you have? That would help a lot.
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #44

I have my '04 manual in good ol' paper form. Got the '03 on DVD, but no drive. Just googled to find that page. I'll see if I can find the switch page. It's an early ('99) Super Duty switch, probably the same test page in that manual.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #45

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the diagram / test of the headlight switch..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E1I14901.pdf (5.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf E1I14902.pdf (20.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
This is the diagram / test of the headlight switch..
Thanks! I will test that before doing anything else. If not that then I have to wonder if a short or bad ground elsewhere might cause something in the switch circuit to do it. I can't see any way that a plain fault in the wire would do anything other than blow a fuse. I will check as soon as I can get free and get bask to you.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #47

I have tested the light switch module and it is fine. Thank you waiter21 for that testing diagram. You saved me the price of a new unit.

I don't know where to start now. The wiring loom is so large and complex it seems impossible to separate out the parking light parts ans check them. How do you check for something like that. All of the parking/running lights blink, even the ones in the taillights and the high "clearance lights". It looks funny at night. Has anyone done this? How did you do it? If it was one I would just rewire it. I am not liking this. I will go out and crawl around under the RV now to look for any wire damage but I don't expect any.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #48

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say the parking lights blink.. tell me more?

are the parking lights turned on or off? is the engine running or not?

Blink, can you video them and post it, specifically, I'me asking the blinks ON time, OFF time, is it repeating at a constant rate or is it random? A video of the lights would help.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #49

Quote:
When you say the parking lights blink.. tell me more?

are the parking lights turned on or off? is the engine running or not?

Blink, can you video them and post it, specifically, I'me asking the blinks ON time, OFF time, is it repeating at a constant rate or is it random? A video of the lights would help.
OK I have attached a video. Let me know if it isn't clear enough please. All of the lights controlled by the "Park" setting on the rotary headlight switch are affected. This includes the parking light bulb in the headlight shell and the "tailights" It includes the red and yellow marker lights high and low.

These come on with the rotary switch and depend on the Chassis battery. They work with the motor on or off.

When the lights are turned on they remain lit for about 2 seconds then dip off for a small fraction of a seconds, just enough to let the filament darken then they are on again for 2 seconds.

No coach lamps are included in this problem (the lights are on the outside of the coach but they connect to the chassis.

I can find no visible damage to the wire harness.

I am going to go out now and try 3 experiments.
!- I will put a lamp and/or Digital meter on the output from the rotary switch and see if it is doing it at that point.
2- I will feed the rotary switch directly from the chassis battery and see if it does it then.
3- I will try feeding the lights from the Coach batteries and see if the problem is there.
This will hopefully reduce the search area.
Attached Files
Old 07-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #50

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Connect your meter to pin #14 on the headlight switch. This will be power coming out of the switch and going to the lights. Its a large Brown wire.

See if the voltage fluctuates here in conjunction with the blinking.

If so, move the meter to pin #13, This is the power input to the switch, its a large tan / white. See if if fluctuates there.

Diagram 13-2, look on the left side, this is power from the battery junction box to the light switch.

Diagram 13-11, look on the right side. this shows this circuit at the light switch.
Attached Files
Old 07-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Connect your meter to pin #14 on the headlight switch. This will be power coming out of the switch and going to the lights. Its a large Brown wire.

See if the voltage fluctuates here in conjunction with the blinking.

If so, move the meter to pin #13, This is the power input to the switch, its a large tan / white. See if if fluctuates there.

Diagram 13-2, look on the left side, this is power from the battery junction box to the light switch.

Diagram 13-11, look on the right side. this shows this circuit at the light switch.
OK will do now. I just got half of my video to load. working on the other. Your post says attachment but none is showing. I believe I already have that diagram though so I'll check and reply. Your suggestion is easier than what I was going to do. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
13-2 and 13-11 are power distribution from the main fuse panel.

That blink is very quick, watch your meter carefully. If your not sure if your seeing it on the meter, hook the meter to one of the lights that are blinking.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #53

Quote:
13-2 and 13-11 are power distribution from the main fuse panel.

That blink is very quick, watch your meter carefully. If your not sure if your seeing it on the meter, hook the meter to one of the lights that are blinking.
Your attachments are not showing.

Thanks. Yes I am seeing it. A 2 volt drop. I see the drop on 13 1nd 14 both when the lights are on. When I turn off the parking lights there is no fluctuation on 13 and no voltage on 14.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say drop. I assume that you are reading a voltage, i.e. 12.6 volts, then when the lights blink, you see the voltage drop down, then come back up to 12.6 again
Old 07-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #55

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just sent you a PM, call me.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #56

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just sent you the power distribution.

Check the voltage on both sides of F6. Then see if you can locate the two fuse links. I suspect thats where your trouble is..

Tags
ada, batteries, chassis, coachmen, f53, mirada, need help