Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think your sign will probably encourage some to move on and perhaps educate a few more. But nothing helps with ignorant me first drivers, they will of course assume the sign was meant for others.

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #16
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Yep, not going to do a thing.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #17
Your signs sure can't hurt anything, and if it prevents one crash they were well worth your time and money.
Running alongside any other vehicle is increasing the chance of a crash, especially a semi-truck. I watched a car get wrecked when a semi's trailer tire blew and the rubber hit the car.

Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Turn on your signal light and start to merge in that direction. May work but there will always be one who will dare you.

Best time ever was in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Put the signal on and the required spot would become available. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had with the truck and 5er.
While visiting a Army buddy there, he said the rule is: everything in front of the driver door is his responsibility, everything behind drivers door is the other persons responsibility. Seemed to work quite well in their heavy traffic.
I never did trust it though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #18
Some very entertaining responses here. I gotta agree with all. My 16 year old granddaughter is getting her driver's license this very day. I've never driven with her. Can tell you that she never had Driver's Ed in school like I did. She sure never had the hours behind the wheel with a professional instructor like I did through my high school or I paid for with her Mom. She has had 3 such paid lessons. Apparently that is all Cal requires. Most of her experience is with her Dad coaching her. Nice guy but I'm told he drives like a maniac. What I have stressed with her is that she needs to keep her hands off that **** iPhone that is glued to her (her dad constantly texts while driving), to be constantly vigilant, looking for the stupidest thing the other drivers could do, & be ready if they do it.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #19
About all I notice during my daily excursions on the highways are "Vehicle in Tow" signs on the back. That should suffice.
1991 Winnebago Warrior 23EC Class A
bill06447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well first of all, its your responsibility to make sure a lane is clear before you move over, no matter what the other driver is doing. Your lane is yours and his lane is his. If he won't go forward then just slow down and let him go. He's probably on the phone anyway and not even reading road signs.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #21
Hmm, why is it he that is riding along side of you rather than you riding along side of he?
2016 Ventana LE 4040
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
BlueOx BP w NSA ReadyBrute
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #22
Too many big words. They won't be able to understand what you're trying to tell them.
John McKinley
2007 Damon Daybreak 3060, Ford 16,000# Chassis,
Ford C-Max Hybrid Toad , Suzuki V Strom 1000cc
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
For a sign try, "WARNING this vehicle may merge left at any time, without warning!"
Retired and livin' the RV dream!
2005 Newmar 43 ft. MADP, Cummins ISL 400HP, 2008 Honda CR-V toad
Ron_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
Hmm, why is it he that is riding along side of you rather than you riding along side of he?
My rule of thumb is, if I'm in the right lane and they are in the left, they are driving beside me, left lane is for passing not for loitering.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #25
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
good idea, I hate when someone pokes along beside me for miles.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #26
i like this. it does remind the parallel drivers to move out, and looking cool, too...
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #27
Our previous MH was a little Toyota Sunrader with a pitiful 4 cylinder 22re engine. We were slow and people used to tailgate us and pass VERY aggressively.

So I put a sign on the back that said, essentially, We know we're slow - tailgating doesn't help, please pass with care.

It really, really helped. People were much less likely to tailgate or try aggressive passing maneuvers.

Some bad drivers are awful people and there's nothing to be done with them but many people are just distracted, impatient or unobservant.
deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
We were driving on the 205 bridge northbound over the Columbia River yesterday and a truck pulled one lane over to the left. My wife thought it was strange until I told her I bet he knew that a few miles ahead the lanes eventually go from four to two and he wanted to move while it was easy. I try and anticipate like that, too.

As far as signs, I always liked the one on the back of the toad that said: I'm pushing as fast as I can! But, I'm not really sure if signs make any difference at all.

Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote