Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Turn on your signal light and start to merge in that direction. May work but there will always be one who will dare you.
Best time ever was in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Put the signal on and the required spot would become available. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had with the truck and 5er.
Gordon Dewald

I too found California drivers to be some of the most courteous, (especially if/when I needed to change lanes or merge with my coach/toad combo).
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the sign just leaves a bad impression of you. I don't really like anyone shadowing me either, but they aren't doing anything wrong. Good lighting and turn signals, maybe even mid-turn lights, were always effective for me when hauling a 5er. Once they see what you are trying to do, you typically get cooperation. For those that don't get a clue from turn signals, there is no hope a sign will offer.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #31

There's a line from the Forest Gump movie:

"Stupid is as Stupid does"...

Meaning, there's a whole ton of air-head drivers out there. I don't parallel drive anybody, at anytime, in any place, on any road, ever, unless forced to. I either speed up, slow down or move to another lane etc. You never know when a person who's either paralleling you or, you're paralleling, is going to have either vehicle trouble or, blow a tire or, maybe a medical condition that may cause them to loose control and veer into you etc. So, I try my best not to get myself into that kind of position.

But, many, many other drivers are completely clueless. They don't think of potential issues and or "what ifs".

On crowded freeways with all four lanes moving at the same speed, there's no choice. But, if I have a choice, I move into a position where I'm clear of potential issues. Sometimes that may require that I speed up beyond either the posted speed limit or, faster than I'd like to drive but, in the end, other drivers and, myself are safer if there's space between all of us.

Posting a sign on the side of toad to me is useless. You have to be able to READ in order for one to comprehend on what you're asking for.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Seems anymore people set the cruise control in their cars and forget the rest. you move over for them thinking they'll pass quickly, but instead you're braking for the vehicle ahead of you because they wont take the cruise off and scoot by. turn signals don't seem to help.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #33

So I'm driving the toad yesterday on one of So Cal's busier freeways telling my DW about this thread. She made a good point. Seems I gripe a lot about people driving in my blind spot in the car but rarely in the motorhome. Here in Cal, towing speed is theoretically 55. I drive the rig 60-62 no matter which state we're in. Rarely do passenger cars drive that slow. Might be the solution to your concern is driving slower than the flow of traffic.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Always like to drive about 5+ mph slower than the traffic flow. Space in front is always opening rather than closing so I do not have to do a passing manoeuver very often.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I would worry the sign will attract idiots that will ride along side just to piss you off.

We spend a lot of time south Florida and you would definitely need the sign to be at least in Spanish also.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDodge View Post
Seems anymore people set the cruise control in their cars and forget the rest. you move over for them thinking they'll pass quickly, but instead you're braking for the vehicle ahead of you because they wont take the cruise off and scoot by. turn signals don't seem to help.
They don't even have to turn off their CC. Just step on the throttle until they the make the pass, then take their foot off of the throttle and the vehicle will automatically return to their set CC speed.

It's not rocket science, but they first have to be aware of the situation and WANT to be courteous.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #37

I would be concerned about the guy in the next lane veering into me while trying to read the damned sign.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #38

If the sign works for you that's great. You are the one that needs to be happy with it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
They don't even have to turn off their CC. Just step on the throttle until they the make the pass, then take their foot off of the throttle and the vehicle will automatically return to their set CC speed
That's the sad part of it Bob. Are they too lazy, clueless or offended that you want back in "there" lane? of course its not all drivers, but seems more and more since the dawn of smartphones.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #40
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In my worthless opinion, the only ones that will notice the sign are not the ones likely to be a problem.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
"Here's your sign!"

Tags
toad