Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #1

I put a "Caution" sign on my Toad - I hope it helps

In our RV travels, we've learned a lot. One of the things we have learned is that, on average, a driver does something dangerous or stupid every 12 minutes. Okay, maybe I exaggerate. What has been a constant issue is drivers who just cruise alongside the RV and toad--on either side. An example is when approaching a merge, either the left lane is unavailable to move over, or after moving over, the right lane is unavailable to move back into.

So, I went online and made magnetic signs to put on each side of the toad. I made two signs on one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet in vertical orientation and cut it in half. I hoping that it helps with the clueless drivers, but I'm thinking it may not make a difference with some who just don't like to see RVs share the road. We'll see how it goes. Here's a picture of the sign.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think that's going to piss them off, student driver would be better!

Damdannyboy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #3

Biggest problem I've had with lane changes, and merging, on the freeways , is in Vancouver B.C.
Vancouver is an international city ; what that means is any driver you have an accident with , there is a 50/50 chance they have no grasp of the English language . Sign would have to be in five languages and still they wouldn't bother to read it.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notayurt View Post
In our RV travels, we've learned a lot. One of the things we have learned is that, on average, a driver does something dangerous or stupid every 12 minutes. Okay, maybe I exaggerate. What has been a constant issue is drivers who just cruise alongside the RV and toad--on either side. An example is when approaching a merge, either the left lane is unavailable to move over, or after moving over, the right lane is unavailable to move back into.

So, I went online and made magnetic signs to put on each side of the toad. I made two signs on one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet in vertical orientation and cut it in half. I hoping that it helps with the clueless drivers, but I'm thinking it may not make a difference with some who just don't like to see RVs share the road. We'll see how it goes. Here's a picture of the sign.
good luck but I think that sign will be as effective as those 'Baby On Board' signs that were popular back when...and still can be seen. in 30-seasons of motor homing I've found that most people get the heck out of the way when I put my turn signal on. but moving over well in advance of a pinch point is my preferred tactic. in a 3-lane situation through an urban area you'll find us in the center lane. if a right exit is coming up I'll move over between 2-3 miles in advance. my biggest pet peeve are folks who don't know how to merge off an entrance ramp. they seem to slow down rather than accelerate down the acceleration ramp/lane. and worst yet we've been behind these fearful drivers when they come to a complete stop at the bottom of the ramp!
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #5

I applaud your efforts, but I think for some it will have the same effect as when you put on your signal light on to move over, some seem to think it means they should cut you off before you can make your lane change.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
some seem to think it means they should cut you off before you can make your lane change.
So sad but very true.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Turn on your signal light and start to merge in that direction. May work but there will always be one who will dare you.

Best time ever was in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Put the signal on and the required spot would become available. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had with the truck and 5er.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #8

More than likely some imbecile will cause a wreck while trying to read the sign
Old 06-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
El Paso on the left and El Cruncho on the right should get the job done....
Old 06-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Should be bi lingual
Old 06-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

> moving over well in advance of a pinch point is my preferred tactic. in a 3-lane situation through an urban area you'll find us in the center lane. if a right exit is coming up I'll move over between 2-3 miles in advance. my biggest pet peeve are folks who don't know how to merge...

Agree 100%. The merging issue was just an example. The problem with a driver hanging out alongside for any length of time is that they do not leave themselves, or you, with an "out" (other than slamming on the brakes) if there is a problem ahead.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #12

Useless.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I applaud your efforts, but I think for some it will have the same effect as when you put on your signal light on to move over, some seem to think it means they should cut you off before you can make your lane change.
When I was staying in Anaheim and driving to torrence daily for work I learned that the best way to change lanes was to use a head fake, if I wanted to move to the left lane I looked in my right mirror, made those in the desired left lane think i was going right which kept them from finding it necessary to speed up and cut me off. If you were to use your turn signal it just caused them to speed up and block.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #14

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad