Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #1

I think my Class A is cursed!

Two years ago in January I bought my first Class A, which was a big step up from our TT. I bought a 1999 Trailstar tracker, Which is basically a Fleetwood product, closest to a Flair with a few extras. It's 30ft long with a GM p32 chassis under it with a 454 and 29000miles.

Well I thought this was a great buy since it looked basically new with low miles. But I ran a Carfax on it to be safe and everything seemed to be in order.

The problem is, every single time I use it something breaks. I am not one to cheap out with repairs, I usually pick the absolute best way to repair it.

When I purchased it I did a full tune up on it and replaced all the fluids, and everything looked great from the rad to the tranny to the rear end.

Here are a few of the things I have fixed

House water pump-replaces with a shur-flo 5.7 extreme---TWICE!
Hot water pump curcuit board
Converter-replaced with Xantrex prosine 2.0 inverter/charger
Front air bags
Bell crank
tierods
shocks
balljoints
wheel bearings
Front brakes/calipers and rotors--seized!
Starter
Cap/rotor/plugs and wires-after original tune up
water pipes breaking-twice
awning-replaced
all tires-two blowouts!
all batteries house and coach
resealed windshield
resealed roof-twice
replaced every hinge on cabinets
stereo quit!
guages quit

Thats about I can think of right now

Did I get a lemon or is that the norm with these things?
Would a brand new coach be the same once it gets a few miles on it?

I just returned from a 20 mile trip! thats right twenty miles and have two new problems, I have a squeek in the drivers front wheel that is rotational but not brakes? I thought wheel bearing but it's not hot at all? Also I found a 2 foot piece of gm 5/16 fuel line with the factory style clamps hanging from the fuel tank but I cannot find anything missing anywhere? any Ideas?

This thing is killing me, I am not sure if I should be running out of things to fix or if I buy a brand new coach will it be the same? or should I just go back to a TT or 5TH OR look for a new hobby!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:32 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's hard to tell how much work was actually done in some cases (i.e. tierods, shocks, ball joints, etc.) but your list isn't extraordinary for a ten year old RV. I bought a new rig in 2004 and by 2014, I'll have a pretty long list of things that will have been done to keep it running.

In terms of blowouts, you might have been dealing with older tires. Everybody replaces batteries and shocks. RVers also have to replace various components now and then. Just be glad your refrigerator is still working ($$$). As for me, I'm on my fourth water pump.

Short answer: Your situation is fairly common, especially when purchasing an older rig. However, after a while, you'll have fewer problems and a much more reliable (and enjoyable) motorhome. Be patient, make sure all your tires are in good shape, keep a good supply of spare parts (belts, filters, hoses) and enjoy the lifestyle. The worst is definitely over.

Jack

Old 11-29-2009, 04:51 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have found that systems and RVs in general do better the more they are used than those that are only occasionally used. I agree with Jack that for the quality of coach you purchased and for its age, you are having about the normal issues.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
zeddy, it sounds to me like a lot of the maintenance you have done to the coach has been preventive. The rest is pretty much normal for a 10 year old coach.
Check your front hubcaps while looking for that front wheel squeek.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Any older used vehicle will have some issues, seemingly more so when bought by a DIYer who likes everything to work and "be right."

It's an uphill climb at first to wade through all the PO's deffered maintenance items, neglect, and stuff that was marginal or ready to fail at any time.

Eventually, you'll hit the top of the curve, you're about 3/4 of the way there now!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Z-dude.....just a suggestion . . . .next ime something breaks, go to a DIFFERENT SHOP!! Being myself from the NYC area (although 30 yeqrs ago), I immediately suspect somethings amiss when I read the list. Example - needing new plugs and ignition parts after having a fresh tune up raises my suspicions. Maybe its not the rig after all!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I did alot of the same stuff... didn't have to deal with the suspention stuff except new shocks. New batteries and tires (ouch) had to replace one with less than 1000 miles on it.. O'ring on the NEW airless valve extentions totally disintigrated.. lost air and didn't even know it.. not sure how many miles I drove on it but couldn't take a chance with it. $350 gone for nothing!. New converter, new motor for air conditioner.. $170 (thats highway robbery) and I installed it!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
fuel line might be an old generator feed.
Who is working onthe coach?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with what others have said. I too have an older coach and had to go through many of the things you mentioned. Age takes its toll on some things. I'm a bit surprised that the ball joints needed replacing however. House water pumps failing seem to be more frequent these days, especially some models. I think the electronic variable speed models seem to be the worst ones. I have one too, just replaced this year. You should be about through with the worst of it. Minor interior/exterior plastic things need replacing after about 6-8 years. But, for the most part they are cheap to replace. As for the squeek in the front wheel, it's likely the hub cap. I had a Winnebago class C that was notorious for this problem.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
Z-dude.....just a suggestion . . . .next ime something breaks, go to a DIFFERENT SHOP!! Being myself from the NYC area (although 30 yeqrs ago), I immediately suspect somethings amiss when I read the list. Example - needing new plugs and ignition parts after having a fresh tune up raises my suspicions. Maybe its not the rig after all!!!
I agree, but that does not always work, I had a 06 Toyota Tundra, at 30,000 miles it started cutting out while going down the freeway, after a while it would start running right again. I had a feeling it was a loose connection somewhere, but the dealer said it was a bad fuel pump. After replacing FOUR full pumps at about $1200 a pop, at four different dealers in two different states, it quit the fifth time 20 miles from the last dealer that "repaired it". They took it back in, then said "Oh, we noticed the fuel pump connector was cracked when we replaced the pump" After they replaced that, it hasn't quit since from that problem. Don't know why they kept charging for something that was clearly a warranty issue, but the company I work for just kept paying the bill.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A friend of mine has a '01 Adventurer U35. I have an '02 Suncruiser U35. Ever since I got my unit I have had random problems. Water heater, AC control board, brakes, and others. He always chided me about my "luck" and expenses.

Well, in the last year, he has had almost all the same failures some more, some less expensive. He now has about 10,000 fewer miles but the ~same collection of paid bills.

As I told him, you begin shaking an RV apart when you first take it off the lot.

YMMV

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Or.........maybe it IS...."cursed!!!" Steve
Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=hamguy;

As I told him, you begin shaking an RV apart when you first take it off the lot.

YMMV [/QUOTE]

Yep, about the equivelent of a 5.5 earthquake going down the road.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This sounds rediculous to me. I would make a barn fire out of it. Why would you have to replace the cabinet hinges?