RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy80to04 View Post
I fill tanks.
the fill port, (the big one with the yellow cap on it) will let you fill them all the way up. tanks that are built in or have the quick fill caps on. .
That may have been true before 1998 but not any longer.

Here is clip and a web site explaning it.

Since 1998, ASME tanks or any RV propane tank installed on motor homes, as well as standard DOT propane cylinders, are required to come equipped with overfill protection devices that prevent a dangerous amount of propane from being filled into*.

https://www.rvrepairclub.com/video/u...e-tank-007955/

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have new tanks that the overfill does not stop liquid at the 80% and tank fills up to the top. 99.9% made in China and cheap. We only fill by weigh or by bleed off valve. AND we had the small tube inside on the bleed off valve missing / broken off ( portable tanks we hear them roll around in the tank) and if you just go by that. You will have a tank at 100% full.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #17

Hi SHO Continen; Just FYI. I have a 01 Windsor with a Brunner propane tank. Had the tank filled last year and have used about 1/8 tank. When I had it filled, the gauge read between 3/4 and full. Gauge now reading just a little below 3/4 full. Took coach out for a drive and when I parked the coach I decided to check my inside levels on the monitor panel. To my surprise, the propane level read full. Went out to check gauge on the propane tank and it read like the picture you posted, Full. I think during the drive that the propane in the tank was sloshing around and happened to push the float mechanism all the way to full and did not return to the actual level of propane in the tank. I wound up rapping on the propane tank next to the gauge with a wooden hammer and, bingo, the gauge popped back to the actual level of propane in the tank. You could hear the mechanism in the tank drop back to the proper level. It does sound like they over filled yours, so there also could be a possibility of your gauge sticking at the upper full level if the liquid in the tank pushed the float all the way to the top reading level. Just some of the possibilities to put in your book. Have a good one.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #18

No need to drain an LPG tank.they have safety pressure relief valves on them. Required!
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
I've driven about 700 miles since filling, I've cooked dinner a few times, used the furnace and had the fridge on the whole time. It's still pegged above full. If something was going to be jostled it would have happened by now I think.

I tried a magnet on the gauge and that dropped it down to 90% but removing the magnet let it return to above full. I'll see if it moves after a couple weeks of use. The electric part of the gauge hasn't read since I bought the MH so if the gauge on the tank is toast I wouldn't mind replacing it.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your tank is permantley mounter it is coverd by ASME, not DOT rules and will not have a OPD devise. Any tank that is removable is coverd by DOT regulations and must have a OPD devise.
Sho, I would use all the propane and see if you can get it repaired. You might be able to get bouth gages working.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
A few days of use and it's down to the ~85% mark! All the appliances seem to be working fine so far.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had this same exact thing happen to me last week, but the gauge didn't show the overfill until the next day.

I had the tank filled at a U-Haul. The over-fill prevention stopped filling the tank at EXACTLY the F mark on the gauge. Even the propane attendant was surprised as he was at the ready to stop the fill process (my tank beat him to it).

It wasn't until the next day when I checked to make sure that the propane was off before going through a tunnel (Hampton Roads area) that I noticed the gauge was above full. I chalked it up to high temps and propane expansion and went on my trip. I used the furnace last weekend without incident. Now the gauge reads about 85-90%.
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO Continen View Post
A few days of use and it's down to the ~85% mark! All the appliances seem to be working fine so far.
That is good news. Those tank gages are notoriousley inaccurte.
Bill
Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #24

My manual tank gauge shows 1/3, electric gauge shows "E", no propane lights at cooktop. Guess which is incorrect.
When DW is able to stay by herself I'll drive to my propane supplier and have the manual gauge replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
If your tank is permantley mounter it is coverd by ASME, not DOT rules and will not have a OPD devise. Any tank that is removable is coverd by DOT regulations and must have a OPD devise.
Sho, I would use all the propane and see if you can get it repaired. You might be able to get bouth gages working.
Bill
That's not what Manchester Tank, RV products says.
This statement is pertains to Canada: "(OPD devices have been required on ASME tanks since l984 and DOT cylinders since l998)"
Lazydays advertises new ASME tanks: "Premium OPD valve assembly."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #25

Winnabagho says they been in use since 1983.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf00001.png
Views:	43
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	158291  
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes if it is a small 40lb tank it may have a opd type devise. I have a 80lb ASME tank and it does not have a opd. It uses the valve like the last one pictured in your post. You open it when filling and when liquid propane comes out it is 80% full. All tanks over 40 pounds are not subject to the new rule.
Bill
Old 04-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Yes if it is a small 40lb tank it may have a opd type devise. I have a 80lb ASME tank and it does not have a opd. It uses the valve like the last one pictured in your post. You open it when filling and when liquid propane comes out it is 80% full. All tanks over 40 pounds are not subject to the new rule.
Bill
Bill, your handle/knob will not be made in the 3-star design like portable cylinders but unless your tank was manufactured prior 1983 it does have an OPD float inside. If you doubt this call Fleetwood.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO Continen View Post
I brought out a flashlight after they had some trouble attaching the fill hose + adapter.
I learned something new today! Filling propane at night?? Bring a flashlight out with you. THANKS. This site is MONEY>>now I'm going back to bed. ZZZzzzz...

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led