Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I was shopping for a good deal on a spare tire, But...

I noticed a used tire for my MH on Craigslist and emailed this:

"I am looking for a Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 LRG. If you have one what is the year code and price and what would shipping cost be to 85614. Joe"

The answer:

"Joe the tires are 100.00 and shipping to AZ would be 75.00 that is an estimate but I don't think anymore than that by ups. There is 3/8" tread or almost new they were made in 02 by the dot date on tire. DOT tells me no problem with tires less than 10 years old. These are good just I took them off my motorhome before I sold and put old ones on as I knew these were odd size to try and find and a new one is 500 plus to 600 if you can find them, just tell me if you want it send a check and ill get them out as soon as I have the check in hand. thanks
ken"

I think the price is fine even with shipping, BUT is eight years old too old even for a spare? Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I think 8 years old is too old for even a spare.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
When you need to use that spare tire to replace a flat in about 3 or 4 years from now it'll be 11 to 12 years old.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In Florida my Michelin truck dealer has all the XRV's in this size you could want for $457. Plus Sam's Club can order them (but can't install them)
Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd look for a tire less than 2 years old personally. I have had problems with tires that were 7 years old.

ken
Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you want to spring for new tire I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a 2-3 year old tire in your size. I bought a 10 year old tire with lots of tread and not much cracking to use as spare for $80 prior to my Florida trip this year. As luck would have it, had to use it due to an "aberration" discussed elsewhere on this forum. It got me home fine the 120 miles I had to go and now that I have new tires, it is back in my basement again for future use.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Michelin Tire PIL?

I was looking for a spare tire for my coach. My tires are
Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 LRG.

I saw a tire on Ebay that was listed as new for $349. The description listed the tire as Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 PIL. What is the difference between LRG and PIL? Joe
Old 04-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
azloafer,

He ought to be paying you to take that worthless tire off his hands--
Old 04-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
The description listed the tire as Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 PIL. What is the difference between LRG and PIL? Joe
Joe - As far as I know, the XRV in that size only comes in the LRG designation. Don't have any idea what the PIL is. Those are the tires I have on my coach and the Michelin web site only shows the LRG. Someone else may chime in ?
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club

Here is the tire with the label. I can't find anything on what the PIL is. Joe
Old 04-29-2010, 05:54 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post

Here is the tire with the label. I can't find anything on what the PIL is. Joe
I recommend to check out this info;
RV Tire Failure 101 - RV UNIVERSITY

I just replaced all seven of mine, I paid $275.00 each for Michelin XPS, I think the garage got them at Camper World. Well worth the safety for my family and I.
Also I would look up Tireman 9on this site, Retired Design and Quality Tire Engineer. 40 years experience. Lots of good info.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Also, check out Michelin's web site;Michelin North America RV Tool Box Page
good info.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #13

Old tire's and Death ride the same road...

I worked for 33-1/2 years in the rubber plant and will say again 5years for steer tires and after that it is a game of chance....Me I replace the tires...and never had a spare for the Bus.Good Sam will find one if needed and I blew a inside duel on the Natchez Trace in Mississippi lost 2-1/2 hours due to the flat so as I said not that bad a wait for a new tire and Good Sam changed it I just payed for the new rubber.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone may have said "10 years old is no problem" to the seller.. I don't know

But the experts say 5-7 10 is pushing it.

That said: I have always felt I had what it takes to pull one of those XRV's off a motor home and put it back on once the rubber has been replaced.. But you can't be sure till you try.

So, about a month ago.. I tried... Broke out the air/hydraulic jack, the air compressor the air impact wrench and the assorted sockets.. Pulled the simulators, applied the air wrench to the lug nuts and... NOTHING... Let the huffer puffer (Air compressor) build up some more pressure (Hey, it is only a 2 gallon tank and... They came off. Managed to get the wheel off and roll it over to the owner's Tacoma.. Managed to swing it up and into the bed of the pickup.. All by myself (Truthfully I don't want help with that kind of a load.. Too much chance of someone getting hurt, better to do it solo, less chance of injury)

After renewal,, Got it back on the ground, and back on the coach.

I would rather not do that again less I have to.

The tire was 12 years old.. and very very scary.