Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2005, 09:56 AM   #1

I've seen an ICC switch on some motorhomes (allows you to flash your running lights). I'd like to know if anyone has done a retrofit on MHs that did not come equipted with the ICC. Easy?, How?, Hard?, Forget it!?
Seems like a cool feature.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2005, 09:56 AM   #2

I've seen an ICC switch on some motorhomes (allows you to flash your running lights). I'd like to know if anyone has done a retrofit on MHs that did not come equipted with the ICC. Easy?, How?, Hard?, Forget it!?
Seems like a cool feature.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Here is the link to a thread from when I added the ICC to our motorhome. The circuit also flashes the headlights with the opposite movement of the switch. By the way, since the origonal thread, I changed out the momentary toggle switch for a momentary rocker switch to match the other switchs on the dash.

ICC Switch Installation
Old 05-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #4

Joe-K,
WOW, Thanks man, great info. Doesn't seem to be that big a problem. I think I just might be able to do it.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #5

Help me undertand something. I've noticed truckers flashing lights to each other and flicking the ICC switch. Is there a specific "code" used in this type of communications? Where can I learn when and how to flick my ICC?

2005 39' Newmar KSDP3910, Spartan, 330 Cummins
Vigibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I may be wrong here, but I am not aware of truckers communicating with each other by way of their lights. They use their lights to signal a passing rig that it is ok to merge back into their lane. The passing rig flashes their lights to thank the rig they passed for allowing them to merge safely back into that lane. That is all I know of where the lights are used.
We should do the same thing as RVers. If a truck or another Rver passes you, once they are far enough ahead, flash your headlights to let them know it is safe to pull over in front of you. Also, I appreciate it when a truck or another RVer flashes me when I'm doing the passing so that I know it is safe to merge back into the lane. One note here though. Even if you are given the ok to merge back over in front of someone, you need to make sure it is safe. Do not solely rely on them.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry to revive a very old thread but I'd like to install an ICC switch and I'm hoping someone still has access to the information that was in Joe-K's link.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLAPP View Post
I may be wrong here, but I am not aware of truckers communicating with each other by way of their lights. They use their lights to signal a passing rig that it is ok to merge back into their lane. The passing rig flashes their lights to thank the rig they passed for allowing them to merge safely back into that lane. That is all I know of where the lights are used.
We should do the same thing as RVers. If a truck or another Rver passes you, once they are far enough ahead, flash your headlights to let them know it is safe to pull over in front of you. Also, I appreciate it when a truck or another RVer flashes me when I'm doing the passing so that I know it is safe to merge back into the lane. One note here though. Even if you are given the ok to merge back over in front of someone, you need to make sure it is safe. Do not solely rely on them.
Mike
As an old retired trucker, I agree with much of what you are saying. I always used the lights as a tool telling me that my trailer has cleared the vehicle I was passing and I could return to the right lane when I felt the need. Too many of the drivers use it as a signal that all is clear and they "must" return to the lane and they do not allow for a cushion of safety before doing so. Because of that I no longer flash my lights. This usually results in the passing driver hanging out in the passing lane a bit longer until he feels he has safely cleared your vehicle. There are some that say if you flash your lights telling the other driver he has cleared you that you are taking some responsibility on how he is controling his vehicle, so you are somewhat liable! Many times the drivers are climbing a hill and their speeds are nearly the same. With a diesel pulling a loaded trailer it is best if you can keep up the RPM's and maintain all the torque you can to get to the top without losing your momentum. This results in a long line of vehicles bumper to bumper behind the passing vehicle chomping at the bit! Getting back into the right lane and allowing them to pass is what a considerate driver will try to do. Making it to close happens frequently. If you do not do it soon you will find impatient drivers in the 4 wheelers passing on the right making it even harder to return to that lane safely! That is another reason for the tool of flashing the lights.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Shoot Joe-K a PM to see if still has the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
Sorry to revive a very old thread but I'd like to install an ICC switch and I'm hoping someone still has access to the information that was in Joe-K's link.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i give a quick double-flash of my headlights when a truck has cleared my vehicle, and if he flashes his running lights as a thank you, i give a quick single flash as a "you're welcome".
Old 11-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #11

I noticed on my last trip down to Florida that whenever I flashed my ICC lights not one trucker acknowledged them.
Either they don't work or truckers don't pay any attention now.

Mike
Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.rvtechstop.com/articles/icc.pdf
Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you very much for all the responses. I'll see if I can make one based on that pdf.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #14

Old school (current) trucker here.... The ICC switch is there for safety AND courtesy... As stated by Luckiest Dre above, don't ever do anything you don't feel comfortable with, etc changing lanes, backing up,, But it is Very Nice to see '4 wheelers' give us the lights when we pass... You can also alert on coming traffic of road hazards, etc... Back before cell phones and cb radio's, truckers communicated with lights,,, and hand signals... Yes I remember some of these from all the summers riding with my Dad... Be nice and thoughtful out on the road,,, it might just pay you back someday !

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote