Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
I would like to remove the icemaker from my unit, because I think it causes a lot of frost build-up, I don't use it, and I don't want any leaks. Is this difficult? Can anyone give me a basic walk-through, I would really appreciate it.
Unplug the ice maker from the 120 vac receptacle. Remove ice maker from freezer. Unplug wiring harness from ice maker. I would recommend you leave the harness and spout through the back wall for future reconnection. If you want you could reseal around these penetrations through the back wall.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I don't like the Ice Maker. I only drink bottled water on the road. So don't use ice. I just have it turned off

Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #17

Have our coach in for repair right now. the water line to ice maker was totally gone. the shop said it is caused by the wiring encased with the water line. the wiring is for heating in freezing conditions.
said it is a factory problem and doubts that extended warranty will cover it.
out of reg warranty now so guess I will have to eat the cost of a total failure because of manufatures fault.
oh well.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #18

ups, it will make no difference if the water to ice maker is off or not. if you have the heating element wiring encased with the plastic water line , it will cause the line to become brittle and fall apart. I told the shop to not put the wiring back in when they replace the new line.
if it gets that cold where I am, then I will drain the line and turn water off to keep it from freezing.
the shame of it is, these companies knew that the heating element was causing this problem and didnt do a thing to correct it.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
the maintenance hassles of an ice maker in an RV, especially in cold country with winterizing
Winterizing a Norcold icemaker - per Norcold directions - simply involves disconnecting the ice maker feed line (and the water dispenser line if equipped) at the solenoid (practically a finger tight job), let them drain, wrap the open ends in a baggie and you are all done. No pink stuff at all - which is what would make this an ugly job. Of course, don't forget to turn off the line valve from the water line feeding the solenoid and to unplug the icemaker.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Our 4 door Norcold is ten years old plugged in or running on gas 24/7/365/yr. No problem with heated water line for ice maker. What deteriorates the line is the lack of water to absorb the small amount of heat that is created by the heater wire. Also the thermostat must be working properly and not bring the heater on unless needed to prevent freezing.
The proper way to winterize any ice maker is to disconnect the out =let of the water valve(s) and manually energize the valve to introduce wither air to purge out the water or antifreeze to flush out the water to prevent freezing of the water valve and breaking it. I leave the hoses off so that the valve can be flushed out to de-winterize and unplug the power cord to prevent the heating of the water lines with no water in them. If this procedure is followed, your water lines and valves should last for many many years.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Unplug the ice maker from the 120 vac receptacle. Remove ice maker from freezer. Unplug wiring harness from ice maker. I would recommend you leave the harness and spout through the back wall for future reconnection. If you want you could reseal around these penetrations through the back wall.
Thanks for your time on the walk-through, Mike, I appreciate it!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #22
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Question

Is the heater that is wrapped around the supply line to the icemaker 12v or 110ac?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #23

If I read the schematic right, the icemaker itself (including the mold heater) are all 120vAC but the heat tape to the water lines appears to be 12vDC powered by the refer's power board. BTW you could have up to 3 heater tape circuits: ice maker supply line, water dispenser supply line, and tape wrapped around the supply line solenoid valve.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Well now you have both. Some of the new ice makers are set up to operate without 120 vac. The earlier models all had to have 120 vac to make ice for you. I would have to know your model to answer the question as to it being one or the other.