Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #1

Unhappy Ice Maker hose water leak

Ice Maker hose water leak behind my Norcold 4 door refrigerator. The plastic water hose that goes from the water filter under the sink to the icemaker at the back of the refrigerator sprang a leak and flooded the center of my 2002 Monaco Windsor. The hose comes up behind the refrigerator and makes a 180 degree turn through the heat coils before connecting to a brass fitting. Itís easy to see once you know that you have a leak and easy to fix. Just open the outside door behind the refrigerator and look for the spray. The stress of the 180 degree turn and the heat from the heat coil is drying out and deteriorating the hose. Everyone that has this type of installation should periodically change this section of hose. Get a refrigerator icemaker installation kit and splice out the 180 degree bend and put in a new piece. I believe this is going to be a big problem as RVís age and these lines get brittle and start cracking. I donít get it. Why would a RV manufacturer build something with such an inherent and potentially damaging problem? I have heard of at least two other motorhome like mine that have had the same problem. Has anyone had any discussions regarding parties that would be liable for the repairs, such as insurance companies, RV manufacturers, or hose manufacturers?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kenn,
I had the same hose go bad over a year ago on our 2004 Monarch. But I got lucky and caught it spraying out the exterior vent. Mine was not really near the heat coils and no 180 bend, just a pin hole in line. New hose from Ace hardware is 120psi working pressure and should last a long time.

Mike

Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

Sorry about the issues. While a nice convenience, the maintenance hassles of an ice maker in an RV, especially in cold country with winterizing, etc., were too much for me. I disconnected everything and we use old school cube trays.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #4

Kenn, thanks for the "Heads Up" we have the same unit in our 2000 coach but so far no leaks, however I will be checking the condition and make any necessary corrections.

Thanks, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #5

Our icemaker sprung a leak, if you want to call it that..the entire plastic line just fell apart. I have to now have the entire line replaced and understand they will probably have to take frig out to do this. I hope to replace the entire line with copper. I was hoping to find some good line once I opened the outside access panel but no such luck. Apparently the quality of the line that these manufacturers use leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately I found the problem before there was real water damage done to our coach.
The way this line just totally feel apart was the most disturbing part of the problem.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurzbill View Post
Our icemaker sprung a leak, if you want to call it that..the entire plastic line just fell apart. I have to now have the entire line replaced and understand they will probably have to take frig out to do this. I hope to replace the entire line with copper. I was hoping to find some good line once I opened the outside access panel but no such luck. Apparently the quality of the line that these manufacturers use leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately I found the problem before there was real water damage done to our coach.
The way this line just totally feel apart was the most disturbing part of the problem.

I agree that the supply line should be in copper tubing and not poly-propolene. I have seen about half the manufacturers use copper and the other half use the plastic. Go figure? The cost is little, but for 1000 units it might be profitable for those that survive. If your is not in copper, I would recommend it be done so.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happened to me with my Dometic ice maker. Ruined a portion of the kitchen floor.

My tubing detoriated because the tubing was laying across the absorption coils, which get very hot during operation. The fix was to remove the fridge, install home style tubing and secure the new tubing away from the refrigration unit.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
Sorry about the issues. While a nice convenience, the maintenance hassles of an ice maker in an RV, especially in cold country with winterizing, etc., were too much for me. I disconnected everything and we use old school cube trays.
I am just about there. I have replaced two plastic hoses to the ice maker, the one that requires taking the refrigerator out to replace. One was done under warranty and one I did myself. Then the ice maker died and I replaced it. I hate to give up on something in my MH that should be working, but the next problem I have I will remove my ice maker and use a simple tray. It will save space and require no winterization. I don't know why we expect an ice maker in a MH anyway.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is your problem you can't pull the entire hose out? If so and if the bad section is JUST where it comes through the coils I have two suggesitons

One: Replace the plastic hose with copper, the thinner wall of the copper tube will make it easier to get through the hole/passage, in fact you will have to seal the opening.

Two: replace just a section of hose in the outside compartment, again I'd use copper tubing, you can get the needed fittings at any hardware
Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #10

Copper tubing with compression fittings [or flare fittings] is the solution. There is one downside to copper. With the motion and vibration of the RV, some of the thin layer of copper oxide that occurs naturally on copper pipe interior walls may flake off and flow downstream toward the icemaker. If you have an in-line filter screen [similar to that used on washing machines], this will catch the deposits and can be cleaned periodically before the line gets plugged. If you don't have this screen, I suggest that you add one when you convert to copper pipe.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #11

Thanks everone for the advise. I will take it all into account when I rebuild the system.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #12

Instead of copper can't you use the stainless steel covered ice maker line like the ones used in home? When I replaced our refrigerator at home, instead of using copper I bought the stainless steel flexible line at Lowe's and it has worked perfectly. They have the same 3/8 fittings and I would think if you bought one long enough (they come in different lengths) it should be a great replacement for the plastic line that most Mfg's use.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
A stainless steel braided hose would work but again underneath the s.s. is a poly/rubber blend of hose and as long as you kept it from heat, it should do the job. My copper water line is 10 years old and should last another 10 at least.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
I would like to remove the icemaker from my unit, because I think it causes a lot of frost build-up, I don't use it, and I don't want any leaks. Is this difficult? Can anyone give me a basic walk-through, I would really appreciate it.

steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote